An outstanding achievement in Thailand

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
wl

Saman Kunan

The caving community has followed the rescue events in Thailand with bated breath and I'm sure are mightily relieved to hear the news that the schoolboys and their coach, as well as the rescue team are safely out.

As cavers, perhaps we have a little more understanding of the immensity of rescuers' achievements.  Many of us know one or more of the divers involved and their friends and family and have been hoping against hope for good news as we turn on the TV, listen to the radio or follow on social media. 

I'm so glad the children and their coach are safe, I'm so glad the rescue team are safe.  I also feel great sadness that a life was lost - rest in peace, Saman Kunan.

Well done to all those involved in the rescue - a wonderful example of how people from all over the world can pull together in such a positive way. 

..and as for the British Divers, you've made us all feel so proud - I hope you don't have to buy a beer for a long time to come.

ANN

So pleased to hear that everyone is out and safe.  What a relief - so sad about the fatality last week.

Goydenman

Awesome organization, team work engineering and diving skills such a shame the diver lost his life but great all the kids and coach are out

Speleofish

Well said Pegasus! I hoped, but didn't dare believe it could be done. Stunning achievement by all involved!
Very, very sad about Saman Kunan.
I'm intrigued by the fact the boys were apparently sedated before being dived out. How does one sedate someone sufficiently to allow them to 'behave' without losing his ability to maintain his airway (presumably using a standard diving mouthpiece)?

braveduck

At PMQs this dinner time both the Conservatives and Labour acknowledged the achievement
of the Cave Rescue Council and the 7 volunteer Cave Divers in saving the 13 people trapped.
A good news story for caving recognised by the Government ,need to build on that now .

Just need to win the Footy tonight .

SamT

Speleofish said:
How does one sedate someone sufficiently to allow them to 'behave' without losing his ability to maintain his airway (presumably using a standard diving mouthpiece)?

It was clarified that they weren't sedated. However they were given something to calm them. I suspect that was  beta blockers to calm anxiety thus reduce the potential for underwater panic attacks.

paul

However, according to this BBC News Web Page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44799779,

Were they sedated in any way?

The Thai authorities are being very coy about this.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said they had been lightly sedated. But the BBC has spoken to a number of people involved in the operation who say the boys were heavily sedated, and only semi-conscious.

The logic for this would be the fear their rescuers had that they would panic when wearing diving equipment for the first time in darkness and swirling cave water, endangering the lives of all of them.

The two British cave divers who led the rescue effort, John Volanthen and Richard Stanton, are believed to have asked for Australian Richard Harris, a cave diver and anaesthetician, to assist in preparing the boys.

How they carried semi-conscious or very drowsy boys through the technically challenging early stages of the journey out, with a lot of diving in narrow passages, we do not know.

At times they may have been strapped to a diver's body. Later they were strapped on to a stretcher and suspended from a rope pulley system attached to the cave roof.

The entire operation was complex, innovative and very bold. Nothing like it has been attempted before. Some of those involved described the tasks undertaken by the core divers, who carried the boys out, as superhuman.

_102494056_v4_thai_cave_rescue_640-nc.png

Of course, this may not be the case but that is what the BBC are saying and may be erroneous.

SamT

Hmm - seems to tie in with actual footage... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm4yUc8OiLU

SamT said:
Speleofish said:
How does one sedate someone sufficiently to allow them to 'behave' without losing his ability to maintain his airway (presumably using a standard diving mouthpiece)?

It was clarified that they weren't sedated. However they were given something to calm them. I suspect that was  beta blockers to calm anxiety thus reduce the potential for underwater panic attacks.

I've heard ketamine mentioned on several sites today.

alastairgott

OTT both meanings ;) Off Their ....'s

Seriously though, whatever it took, it got them out safe and well.

And the Divers have all been heralded as great people. But have taken it well. Saw a clip of Volanthen saying "if you had the chance to save a child, you would" (perhaps not word for word).

I have to say I'm very impressed by the way the various rescue bodies have handled the media. By feeding them a good number of factually correct media briefings, Caving has been seen in a good light.

badger

do not have enough medical knowledge on sedation, maintaining airways, etc. But what I do know is had an endoscope a few years ago and apparently you have to be awake as you have to swallow the camera, they give you something, I can say I remember nothing. But I was awake so I was told.

I think the rescue teams and all involved have pulled off a fantastic rescue and puts rescue in a good light, as for the media coverage that go on and on about all the negative comments on how dangerous caving is, and how confined all caves are, and if you listen to the American news one would think it was only the americans on site and they are the leading experts in cave diving and cave rescue.