Author Topic: Careful peeps......  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
Re: Careful peeps......
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2021, 11:32:38 am »
As far as I'm aware, any effects of viruses on the brain or behaviour are due to destruction of brain tissue - so they don't so much modify behaviour as lead to loss of function. A more impressive example of micro-organisms affecting behaviours is the zombie-ant fungus which affects carpenter ants in South America (there are several similar examples, for example one that affects cicadas in Japan). The end result is an insect that moves to the best environment for the fungus to grow after which the insect dies and the fungus feeds on the corpse before dispersing its spores.

Ha Ha WTF  :clap2:   :lol:
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 01:26:13 pm »
Why waste the effort and complicate things in a world where everyone carries and electronic device and even has it pressed against their head most of the time?
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Online Fishes

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2021, 01:51:07 pm »
Toxoplasma gondii ate my tracking chip.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2021, 01:56:45 pm »
Why waste the effort and complicate things in a world where everyone carries and electronic device and even has it pressed against their head most of the time?

It seems leaving it in its dashboard cradle is no less addictive. With guys like this about, who needs tracking chips? "Oh sh..."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-57988029

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2021, 02:48:45 pm »

As far as I'm aware, any effects of viruses on the brain or behaviour are due to destruction of brain tissue - so they don't so much modify behaviour as lead to loss of function. A more impressive example of micro-organisms affecting behaviours is the zombie-ant fungus which affects carpenter ants in South America (there are several similar examples, for example one that affects cicadas in Japan). The end result is an insect that moves to the best environment for the fungus to grow after which the insect dies and the fungus feeds on the corpse before dispersing its spores.

I thought liverfluke did something similar, got their host snails to climb up vegetation where they’re more likely to be ingested by the next, herbivore, host.

And there’s a mouse parasite somewhere which causes them to cuddle up to cats.
[/quote]

Online Fishes

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2021, 03:14:38 pm »
And there’s a mouse parasite somewhere which causes them to cuddle up to cats.

Its Toxoplasma gondii which can also infect humans.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3378833/

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2021, 10:05:44 pm »
The way the thread has gone I just have to mention the wee small fish that thrives in the Amazon delta.

Forget piranha, if you go waist deep it finds its way into your body to lay its eggs, you can imagine how it does this. Cant think what its called, by I would have my own name for it.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2021, 11:04:40 pm »
There's also a small Amazonian fish (probably apocryphal - and maybe the same as Roy's) which if you have a wee next to the Amazon, it'll swim up the actual stream and embed itself in your wotsit.

And as for hagfish.

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2021, 11:09:14 pm »
It wouldn’t surprise me; given what ‘God’s creatures’ get up to in their need to survive and replicate, nothing (much) would surprise me, even organisms that somehow burrow into the soles of your feet and get carried around your blood stream in order to reproduce inside you, to the extent of eating into your eyes from the inside out. I wonder what the Creationists would make of the sort of cruel critters that ‘God has created’?

Online paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2021, 09:05:38 am »
There's also a small Amazonian fish (probably apocryphal - and maybe the same as Roy's) which if you have a wee next to the Amazon, it'll swim up the actual stream and embed itself in your wotsit.

And as for hagfish.

Some info on that particular fish: http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20160104-does-the-candiru-fish-really-eat-human-penises
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2021, 11:02:56 am »
That's an amazing tale - thanks for sharing. I always thought it a bit ridiculous, given the effort salmon have to make to leap cascades. I know there are gravitational benefits to being small in some instances (falling from height, for example), but water is heavy, and a pee-stream is powerful. Of course I may just be trying to reassure myself. The bright red cow-arse worms in the Far Sump connection in Leviathan were pretty terrifying. I'm sure they had teeth.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal