Author Topic: Just How Many Members Here Have Had COVID Experiences ?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline sinker

• stalker
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
Re: Just How Many Members Here Have Had COVID Experiences ?
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2021, 10:28:28 am »

…..life is a sort of game of chance with various doors and windows continuously opening and closing....

….or indeed falling out.... :lol:

Good points made though. Attitude and resilience will get you through anything if you can be flexible and adaptable.
Off topic and something that people will no doubt argue about but I grew up in the 70s and 80s in a military environment, inside the wire, and without being bullied, dogged or shouted at, I developed a natural resilience and adaptability which has stood me in good stead ever since. I'm not bulletproof or covidproof by any means but I think I can make reasonable judgements and adjustments to cope with any situation without losing my marbles or going off the rails.

Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline Speleofish

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 11:19:00 am »
In reply to MRODoc, I think 'long covid' encompasses several conditions. I agree some cases fit into the category of post-viral fatigue. Another group are more typical of post-ICU syndromes, an imperfectly defined group of overlapping conditions, some of which probably result from multi-organ failure, some consequent on prolonged sedation, some due to prolonged immobility etc.

A third cohort is probably the direct result of covid and its complications on the heart, lungs (prolonged inflammation and possible scarring), brain and clotting systems (including pulmonary emboli [blood clots in the lung] of which we saw a large number both during the acute infection and occurring some months later. There's a large amount of interesting research being published on this, so I suspect things will become clearer over the next year or two.

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 11:40:59 am »
Both my wife and myself had it back in Nov 2020, there was a tsunami of it in our area in Nov and I don't know anybody that didn't have it !.

We always thought with the nature of Sues, work that it was not if but when we contracted COVID , she shook it off pretty well but I was ill for about three weeks , liking it to proper flu on steroids even now 10 months on I still havent got my zest back and my GP although he is trying his best is still scratching his head and has conducted more tests than you can throw a stick at . I have prescribed myself a week away every 4/5 weeks to get some caving, mine exploration and diving done  :lol:. I also had a bad reaction to the AZ vaccine so much so I finished up having full body MRI scans and it has left me with a funny sort of Tinnitus , similar to a cricket insect sound in my right ear. The Drs said that I must have the Pfizer as my second dose as they " deemed the AZ unsuitable for a second dose " . The Pfizer vaccine I was ok with .

As for family my wife lost 6 members of her family last year including her mum and dad  :down: all down to COVID, some grace for her was knowing that we didn't pass it on to them. My dad had it and although he is very very poorly and permanently in a hospital bed somehow managed to survive it god only knows how  :-\ if you understand his 02 sats were only 68 on full 15 liters of oxygen, they did use an experimental drug on him that for the life of me I cant remember the name of it . I think looking at peoples replies one of the biggest issues is mental health that is plaguing people ???
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline Speleofish

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 11:50:28 am »
I agree mental health problems are probably the most prevalent condition affecting the population as a whole, whether as a direct result of the infection; the frustrations, anxiety and boredom associated with lockdown; or the stress and distress caused by looking after patients with it. Although people in general have followed government guidance much more closely than was expected at the start of the pandemic, I've noticed a weary fatalism growing among many of my neighbours, which is leading to many of them behaving much less cautiously than before - a viewpoint I can understand.

Online Laurie

• forum hero
  • ...and then there was one.
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2021, 12:13:34 pm »
My wife and I were early sufferers, March last year, sadly my wife of 40 years did not survive.
I still suffer with Long Covid.
MNRC

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • forum hero
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2021, 12:51:02 pm »
My wife and I were early sufferers, March last year, sadly my wife of 40 years did not survive.

so sad to hear my thoughts are with you and I hope you recover fully. A friend of a friend is at last seeing good recovery from long covid

Online 2xw

• junky
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2021, 01:29:54 pm »
I've had it, my sister and her partner had it, a fair few of my relatives have had it, both my housemates have had it, and lots of my students have had it also

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2021, 04:37:05 pm »

My deepest condolences buddy   :(

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 04:38:02 pm »
I've had it, my sister and her partner had it, a fair few of my relatives have had it, both my housemates have had it, and lots of my students have had it also

Mmmm almost the same area as me was it the Nov tsunami that passed through ?

Offline BradW

• menacing presence
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2021, 08:49:36 pm »
I had a few close shaves. Early on, discovering I had been around others who ended up positive, but so far I have stayed clear. As a result I have stayed strictly away from all cavers social events (and non caving ones too) where anyone other than people I trust are present - this is frustrating but it's my choice. Who knows when we can all get back to those great caving weekends with packed huts and the like. If that's the only downside for me then I am fortunate, as at least I have avoided the bug so far.

Offline paulf

• obsessive maniac
  • [GLSCC / WCMS] Has someone Shrunk the Entrance ?
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2021, 09:45:07 pm »
Both myself & my wife got it over Xmas 2020, She suffered worse than me (stuck in bed very flue like, bad cough) I feel lucky it hit me like a bad cold (cough not as bad as my wife's)

Neither of my 2 children who live with us - Daughter aged 24 & Son 21 got it.

Only long Covid symptom I seem to have is - (Numb, tingly / warm Thigh) Yep I only  found this out after watching a program on Long Covid symptoms !

I would say Brain Fuzz (because I now really struggle to remember people's names) but this could be just normal for me.

As a builder I have met several clients whose family members have died from it.

I also know of 2 friends who have lost a parent, even they were relatively fit & active (70)

My Friends Pregnant Niece (31) got Married about 6 weeks ago (Everyone caught it, bar the Grandma who was double jabbed) Niece had to have a C section as her breathing was bad, thankfully all are fine now.

Online RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2021, 11:23:36 pm »
It is a bit worrying as we seem to be hell bent on getting people to catch it whilst we are dosed up a la vaccine. 1 in 45 people in Scotland last week. This pathogen hasen't even seen it's second anniversary. God knows what long term prognosis is.

Offline NewStuff

• Gobby McGobface
  • junky
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2021, 05:44:19 am »
I'm the only person in my work, aside from visitors, that actually wears a mask. Many anti-vaxxers and conspiraloons. Yes, I'm interviewing elsewhere.

This winter is going to be messy. People seem to think because they don't like it/ignore it/the government gives up, that it's actually gone away.
Permission? Wassat den?

Offline Tripod

• player
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2021, 10:21:33 am »
It is a bit worrying as we seem to be hell bent on getting people to catch it whilst we are dosed up a la vaccine. 1 in 45 people in Scotland last week. This pathogen hasen't even seen it's second anniversary. God knows what long term prognosis is.

1200 scientists wrote to the Lancet stating that the government (re. "Freedom Day") had a "murderous" policy of "herd immunity through mass infection". The people of this country are still being encouraged to believe that vaccination protects from infection and prevents transmission which it does not to the extent they believe. The vaccines reduce the severity of symptoms in infected people but not for all. As for "double jabbed" and "fully vaccinated" and the consequence of people ceasing to wear masks or take other precautions this only adds to the current levels of misunderstanding and overall chaos.

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2021, 11:31:30 am »
I'm the only person in my work, aside from visitors, that actually wears a mask. Many anti-vaxxers and conspiraloons. Yes, I'm interviewing elsewhere.

This winter is going to be messy. People seem to think because they don't like it/ignore it/the government gives up, that it's actually gone away.

Too True !

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2021, 11:34:15 am »

1200 scientists wrote to the Lancet stating that the government (re. "Freedom Day") had a "murderous" policy of "herd immunity through mass infection". The people of this country are still being encouraged to believe that vaccination protects from infection and prevents transmission which it does not to the extent they believe. The vaccines reduce the severity of symptoms in infected people but not for all. As for "double jabbed" and "fully vaccinated" and the consequence of people ceasing to wear masks or take other precautions this only adds to the current levels of misunderstanding and overall chaos.

As I have a lot of People contact with my job ,The amount of times I have heard especially elderly say " Im ok now I have had both vaccines " you would not believe   :o  :'(

Offline Speleofish

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2021, 12:00:16 pm »
The original justifications for lockdown were twofold. First to slow the rate at which people caught the disease and so prevent the NHS collapsing. Second, to give time to develop and manufacture vaccines, which would hopefully reduce the number of people developing severe disease or dying. The downsides of lockdown are obvious, both on mental health and on the economy so one needs a really good reason for inflicting it on people.

Currently, 66% of the whole population are fully vaccinated including over 80% of over 16s. 89% of over 16s have had one dose. Almost all over 16s have had the opportunity to get vaccinated but some have refused so, presumably, most of the unvaccinated are unlikely to change their status.

As vaccination doesn't stop you getting a mild infection and passing it on, it is 'inevitable' that everyone in the country will encounter Covid during the next year or so, a proportion will develop severe disease and some will die. Continued lockdown will slow the rate at which people catch the disease but won't change the total numbers who get it eventually.

If we've got as much benefit as possible from vaccination, the only thing we can influence is the rate at which patients hit the NHS. Ideally, it would be better if this was spread out over several months rather than everyone arriving at once. The fewer people who get it now, the more will be at risk over winter when we may also face an increase in conventional winter viruses. If we do get a significant 'flu season at the same time as we get a winter surge in Covid, the NHS will struggle. However, if most of those vulnerable to Covid infection have already had it, that risk is reduced.

Given the way Covid works, we aren't going to achieve herd immunity, though we should hopefully reach a point where the population has sufficient immunity to the disease that it becomes a nuisance rather than a recurring disaster. This may take a few years and several courses of vaccinations. However, provided it doesn't mutate radically, I'm fairly optimistic. 

Offline Speleofish

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2021, 12:19:22 pm »
Just to clarify, I think ending lockdown was the right thing to do. Some precautions remain sensible - particularly mask-wearing in confined places, hand-hygiene and really, really focussing on improving ventilation of enclosed spaces (eg nightclubs and public transport). Otherwise, I'd end all restrictions.

Offline Hunter

• regular
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2021, 04:15:57 pm »
Can’t be sure it was C19 but my wife had all the symptoms November/December 2019 before it had been recognised as being in UK.
Incessant cough, sore throat, fever, fatigue, breathlessness etc which lasted about 8 weeks in total.
After trying various over the counter remedies and ventolin inhalers which had very little effect we finally forced her to see the GP who after a thorough assessment in the surgery sent us to A&E where she spent the day on oxygen plus intravenous antibiotics & steroids before being discharged that same evening.
My daughter & I thought we were coming down with a cold at the time as we both had a mild cough and sore throat for a couple of days but that’s as bad as we got so whether it was a mild dose is anyone’s guess.
Suspect if it was Covid the wife picked it up at work as she was working in a pub at the time where a couple of the regular customers had been to the rugby World Cup in Japan just prior to her getting unwell.

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2021, 04:25:30 pm »
Can’t be sure it was C19 but my wife had all the symptoms November/December 2019 before it had been recognised as being in UK.
Incessant cough, sore throat, fever, fatigue, breathlessness etc which lasted about 8 weeks in total.
After trying various over the counter remedies and ventolin inhalers which had very little effect we finally forced her to see the GP who after a thorough assessment in the surgery sent us to A&E where she spent the day on oxygen plus intravenous antibiotics & steroids before being discharged that same evening.
My daughter & I thought we were coming down with a cold at the time as we both had a mild cough and sore throat for a couple of days but that’s as bad as we got so whether it was a mild dose is anyone’s guess.
Suspect if it was Covid the wife picked it up at work as she was working in a pub at the time where a couple of the regular customers had been to the rugby World Cup in Japan just prior to her getting unwell.

I have heard that from a LOT of people complaining of feeling unwell but somehow different. I also felt Bloody awful in Jan 20 just before it was announced saying to my wife " I don't know what's up with me It's not a cold and not influenza  but I feel dreadful " There was a case also revealed in France in the July of 19 way before it was common knowledge   :doubt:

Offline Jopo

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2021, 09:36:08 am »

I have heard that from a LOT of people complaining of feeling unwell but somehow different. I also felt Bloody awful in Jan 20 just before it was announced saying to my wife " I don't know what's up with me It's not a cold and not influenza  but I feel dreadful " There was a case also revealed in France in the July of 19 way before it was common knowledge

Marj and me suffered from a severe attack of what we assumed was Nova virus over Christmas 2019. I certainly had never felt so ill with 'flu' type systems and had had the flue jab in Oct.

We both have large families in the Midlands and whilst a fair few have had COVID infections of varying degrees we feel very fortunate in having no family deaths.

Jopo

Offline yrammy

• forum star
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2021, 08:22:03 am »
I have not had it as far as I know. I know at least 8 people who have had it recently 6 of whom are double jabbed adults. I know one person who died of it earlier this year - but COVID was only part of he cause. She became alcoholic during lock down and  it was that which took her into hospital - where she caught COVID and died.

I take it very seriously although I am not paranoid. I wear a mask in busy places and use sanitiser.  My step mother is 77 and an x nurse. Last January she asked at her local heath clinic if she could help. They offered to employ her as she is qualified - but she opted to volunteer. She started by doing 4 mornings per week at the covid jab clinic. She is still doing it  and for nothing.  She is an example of selfless dedication. I take of my caving helmet to her
 Mary (Caving Librarian)

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2021, 08:25:16 am »
Yes; I read this just after reading about talk of gongs for some tennis player.

Ponder on who the real heroes are.

Offline caving_fox

• forum star
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 10:11:32 am »
Yes I recently had pos test (mild symptoms ) after attending music festivals, despite vaccination.

From earlier this year and last:
My brother, who manages to isolate without infecting family, a few of friend groups have had pos test, many of my neighbours have had pos tests, varying degrees of severity, several work colleagues. Luckily no-one requiring hospital, but bed-ridden.
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Online ttxela2

• menacing presence
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2021, 03:53:56 pm »
Neither myself or my wife have had it.

My youngest daughter and her partner had it very early on around May 2020. She works in a care home. Said she wouldn't have known if she hadn't been tested, just had a slight tickle in her throat for a day or two.

Youngest daughters area manager had it and was in a coma (not sure that's the correct term) for months, has only just learnt to walk again.

Several of the neighbours in our close have had it, none with serious symptoms, nothing worse than a mild cold.

Auntie and Uncle in Derby both had it, Auntie was in intensive care but not on a ventilator and better now. Uncle didn't have it so bad but is still experiencing the after effects over a year later.

Our receptionist at work looked after her grandson the weekend after having her second vaccine, he had a positive test at nursery the Monday after and she subsequently tested positive. Was fine for a couple of days but was then bedridden for two weeks. Previously a bit of a fitness freak she couldn't walk up one flight of stairs on her return to work and had to call me down to carry any deliveries about. 4 months later she is just about back to normal.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal