Wanted: DistoXs

rhyst

Hey,

I'm looking for any DistoXs that people are willing to part with and that are in basically any condition (preferably working but happy to do some repair work as well).

Let me know if you've got any going spare and what sort of price you'd want.

Thanks,
Rhys

rhyst

I'll add to this in case it is motivating. These are for the ICCC expedition to Slovenia. The club has a grant to spend specifically on Disto Xs and only Disto Xs so any sensible price would be considered.

Benfool

I suspect you wont find many :(. If I were you I'd be trying to work out a different solution!

Might be worth considering some of the more expensive Leica units which have a compass and clino. You wont be able to Bluetooth your data across to pocket topo/Topodroid but you will still be able to survey using a notepad.

B

Steve Clark

Is there a particular Leica model that is more likely to be supported in the future?

I missed the boat with Distox and then had my x310 stolen, so I?m back to square one.

Benfool

No way of knowing I'm afraid. Who knows if the next installment of electronic surveying will be a commercial unit, a conversion from a commercial unit, or something completely custom.

Whatever it is, I suspect it'll be a while :(

B

JJM

Steve Clark said:
... Is there a particular Leica model that is more likely to be supported in the future?

see https://www.laser-measure.co.uk/which-disto/
The D810 and S910 have compass, clino and Bluetooth built in. Which suggest that someone should be able to (eventually) write a software to community with the unit over Bluetooth to get the measurements and integrate like we did with DistoX.
People are already successful hacking the Leica Bluetooth protocol... https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36066334/how-to-read-data-from-leica-disto-via-bluetooth

We should convince some computer science student to make this their dissertation project ;)

Alex

Can you still get those compass and clino's? i.e. the ones you can look though, I am in need of surveying kit myself, now that caving appears to be returning to normal, or soon will. I have a laser range finder, but need a compass and clino, if disto x cannot be bought now. Slower surveying but it's better than nothing. At least I don't have to use a tape measure! Is there a commercial outlet, would these work for the poster too, though they are not Disto x's if it's Ghar Paru, I am sure you can explain that you just meant surveying kit.

If there is only one for sale, though and the original poster wants it I suggest you sell it to him first as I am sort of hijacking the post here.

Alex

Wow ?184 for the compass clino combination! Thank's Ian, I may have to go that route still.

Benfool

The X3 doesn't have a compass, only the D810 or D910 have one.

https://www.laser-measure.co.uk/which-disto/

The DistoX2 which cavers use is a modification to the X310, where you replace the main board with a new board with compass and clino sensors as well as a BT connection. It is this replacement board which has become harder to get a hold of, as the original designer, Beet Heab, stopped producing them.

There is somebody in the US who is producing the boards and I know at least one caver in the UK who has successfully got one (I put the unit together for them). If you want an electronic device for cave surveying I'd definite suggest you look into getting one of these boards, however they are reasonably expensive.

B