Raumer Handy Connector

aricooperdavis

A couple of years ago I found a Raumer Handy in Lost Johns and posted about it on here. I'm now satisfied that it's been long enough since I found it that I can "adopt" it and start using it myself.

However, it's missing the twisted ring that connects it to your central maillon. Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy these rings on their own, or what alternative connector I could use in its place?

N.b. If you think it's yours then let me know how it's marked up and I'll get it back to you!

Benfool

Hey Ari, I have a spare one you can have.

I've not got it with me at the minute (its attached onto my spare cave diving wing that somebody else has), but I'll get it back off him and I'll post it to you.

PM me with your address.

B

damian

As far as I am aware a Raumer Handy can be connected directly to the central maillon. The little twisted bit of metal is if you wish to connect it to the descender krab instead.

mr goose

I used to do that with a steel D maillon too. Then I changed to a Petzl Omni and the Handy didn't fit onto the bar, so the twiddly wire was needed. Have just got a new Omni and Petzl have changed the design slightly so it now fits. Didn't have a problem with either method.

pwhole

I think the only real difference in use is that you can get more bite on the krab if it's connected directly to the D-maillon without the twisty ring, as it's further away from the descender. I've currently got mine on the twisty ring on the D-maillon, mainly as it makes it easier to reverse the krab on fat rope and use the wide end instead.

aricooperdavis

I didn't know that they could go straight on the central maillon, but generally I prefer to have as few things as possible on there to keep it uncluttered. I also have an omni so I'll have to have a play and see if it fits. Thanks for the info :)

paul

I'm sure when I bought my Handy some years ago it didn't have the extra link and I've always put it straight on my central maillon like Sam, etc.