Winnats Head Cave

biffa

Has anyone been here recently?

I found the boulder choke a bit too intimidating when I went there about three years ago.  Does anyone know if it has changed significantly since then (I got the feeling it was in the process of changing significantly when I was there).

What is the cave like beyond and what was the condition of the fixed ropes when anyone was last there?

JB

Twelve months since I was last in Winnats Head. Obviously can't say whether the chokes have moved since but best to be very careful through them. Once through the chokes you go through the Sewer (low crawl) and then fixed ropes take you up the other side until you can't go any higher. The skinny (9mm?) fixed ropes (more specifically the hangers and maillons) that were in at that time didn't look very clever but got us up and down.  There seems to be something about the water in Winnats Head that rusts steel faster than anywhere else I've been. Perhaps it's because much of the rigging kit on the far side of the Sewer is constantly wet from water coming down out the roof.

Serious bit of cave on the other side of the Sewer; very draughty and cold if there's a lot of water about. Winnats Head would rank as one of the worst places to have an accident in Derbyshire so if you're going to have a look put your safe head on  (y)

JB

If anyone's interested, here are a few photos of some of the rigging kit on the far side of the Sewer taken today - 10th November 06. I didn't see evidence that the boulder chokes have moved in the last twelve months and the fixed ropes got us up to Wigwam Aven and back down again. However, there is one fixed rope that I wouldn't recommend ascending because of what it's tied to. Get in touch with the Eldon Pothole Club before a trip (perhaps via SamT/Johnny/JB on this forum).

http://www.orionmountaineering.com/cpg144/thumbnails.php?album=100