Another stupid question - clothing in summer

Antwan

Hi

I know caves are meant to stay reasonably the same temperature all year but

Will i be warm enough in giants wearing shorts under a plastic over suit? or should i get fleeced up still?

Thanks

paul

And remember, you might feel warm enough while you are moving but if for any reason you have to hang around while underground, it can get very cold, very quickly...

Elaine

Some people are always hotter than others. But like they said above, you might have to hang around a while. In a cave, you can always cool down by stopping or dipping bits of you in water. But you can't warm up as easily.

You can always walk to the cave in minimal stuff and put it all on properly when you get there.

I prefer to go as light as possible, this way you don't sweat so much when moving and may not get as cold as you otherwise would when you stop - it's all about layering correctly ie, if you find a fleece too hot, try thin thermals?? I reckon shorts are a big no tho as they wont really conserve any heat at all!  If you going down the light weight option try a few things out and see how they work for you and until your happy or dont know the system always take spares for when you stop. (a cheap waterproof works very well for this).  Going lighter-weight in clothing will give you a more comfortable trip.

Antwan

meanderthal said:
it's all about layering correctly ie, if you find a fleece too hot, try thin thermals?? I reckon shorts are a big no tho as they wont really conserve any heat at all!  If you going down the light weight option try a few things out and see how they work for you and until your happy or dont know the system always take spares for when you stop.

I was really surprised at how warm a just a pair of ronhills were this winter, especially considering the price compared to my usual trouser's/waterproofs combo.

Me thinks i will head everyones advice and fleece up (with shorts underneath!), then I have the option of steadying to keep cool rather than having to jump around in a gay bear grylls style to keep warm.

Thanks again

Antwan

Good job I went for fleece, Or the giants windpipe might have had me with Hypothermia!

Think its fleece all the way!

Les W

Antwan said:
Good job I went for fleece, Or the giants windpipe might have had me with Hypothermia!

Think its fleece all the way!

Because the cave remains approximately the same temperature all year round, the clothing you wear underground should also remain the same.  (y)

graham

Les W said:
Because the cave remains approximately the same temperature all year round, the clothing you wear underground should also remain the same.  (y)

Just remember to wash it between trips ;)

linuxfanatik

Remember the temperature in a cave is a steady cold temperature. Your kit needs to be cloth not plastic - certainly not pvc (it can cause a spark - which can be dangerous). Plastic will make you sweat (unless its the microfibre kind designed to wick off your sweat - see below) and if you stand still it will cool you down to dangerous levels - if you must wear something to counteract the wetness use a wet suit. Failling the expense of one of those, go for the kind of garments that cyclists wear to wick your sweat from your body and to the outside air - or lack of it. You need to stay warm, comfortable and dry. there's nothing worse than getting irritated because you are wet around your arse, or armpits - this can cause accidents and accidents can cause deaths. i don't want you dead so be careful! linuxfanatik

ianball11

Are you suggesting wearing pvc next to the skin isn't wise linuxfanatix? I don't think anyone would disagree outside of those 'special' interest groups.  A pvc outer layer over a cloth under layer is about as common in British caving as a wetsuit.

I don't think I've heard of anyone having an accident becuase of an irritated arse or armpit.  :-\

Elaine

I have to admit to having some very minor accidents whilst caving with an irritating arse, but I can't really blame him for any of them.

;)