Nearly complete descent collection for sale - All proceeds to Ghar Parau

wl

Exciting lockdown reading for a good cause.

The Ghar Parau foundation are auctioning a rare and collectable set of descent magazines.
Almost complete (all issues from 5 to 250) chronically discoveries, digs, caving technology changes and history from 1969 to 2016. Go on, own a slice of British caving history!

These will be sold on Ebay by Ghar Parau with the closing date for the auction the 28th Feb. The Auction will go live at midnight on the 18th Feb. Watch this space for more information. All proceeds go to the Ghar Parau Foundation to support UK Cavers conducting Exploratory and Scientific Caving Expeditions worldwide. For more information visit https://www.gharparau.org.uk/.

Descent Magazine Collection Caving. Almost complete. All issues from 5 - 277. All proceeds to the Ghar Parau Foundation.

Exciting lockdown reading for a good cause.
The Ghar Parau foundation are auctioning a rare and collectable set of descent magazines. Almost complete (all issues from 5 to 277) chronicling discoveries, digs, caving technology changes and history from 1969 to 2020. Go on, own a slice of British caving history!
Collection comes boxed and labelled and all issues are generally in good condition, though would benefit from being stored flat.
Also includes;
Descent Index (issues 1-100) (poor condition)
Descent Caving Handbook1971/1972
Descent Caving Handbook 1974
Descent Caving Handbook 1977/1978
Descent Magazine Caving Yearbook 1987/1988

All proceeds to go to the Ghar Parau Foundation to support UK cavers carrying out exploratory and scientific caving expeditions worldwide. For more information visit https://www.gharparau.org.uk/.

Many thanks due to Chris and Judith Howes at Descent Magazine, and to the British Caving Library for helping complete the collection as much as possible. Please help raise as much as you can for this good cause.

Buyer to collect (caver post possible), or postage can be arranged as required at buyers cost. Collection weight and size will make this pricy

Item location Sheffield.

Hi All

Just to confirm this sale is now live on Ebay. Please follow this link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Descent-Magazine-Collection-Caving-Almost-complete-All-proceeds-to-Ghar-Parau/313412580680?fbclid=IwAR24UCCtyZRILRNUASOYoNc018FRXvL5w2Y87vCfGHikSsDpDb2Eg49XGUw

A great idea for lockdown reading and remember all proceeds go to the Ghar Parau Foundation!

Thanks

mfc

Ghar Parau Fundraising said:
See Picture

That looks a lot like the boxes and collection that I donated a couple of years ago.  Good to see it's finally surfacing!!

(It turned out to be a very expensive donation .. as well as the time and boxes, etc., I was rear-ended while returning from delivering them to Derbyshire, with attendant medical and other problems...)

Mike Cowlishaw

Hi guys

Just to confirm there's only a couple of days left for the auction. Please bid, bid, bid! All for a good cause!

(Also Mike thanks very much!, I hope you are back to full health)

moorebooks

Ian Ball said:
Too much for me, I couldn't afford what it's worth, sorry!

To be fair the collection is only worth what someone is prepared to pay. . If you are interested and have a ceiling make an offer via PM you have nothing to lose

Mike

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Last chance folks - finishes in just over 2 hours:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Descent-Magazine-Collection-Caving-Almost-complete-All-proceeds-to-Ghar-Parau/313412580680?fbclid=IwAR24UCCtyZRILRNUASOYoNc018FRXvL5w2Y87vCfGHikSsDpDb2Eg49XGUw

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I followed the link to ebay to see what the collection went for.  The closing bid was ?210, however the collection did not reach its reserve and has been relisted for sale again.

moorebooks

Badlad said:
I followed the link to ebay to see what the collection went for.  The closing bid was ?210, however the collection did not reach its reserve and has been relisted for sale again.

at the moment its going for 99p  I amazed Tony hasn't bid fiver ,  joking apart someone needs to amend that figure to nearer what they want for it. Otherwise its unlikely  to get to the reserve 

Mike

mikem

Midnight isn't a good time for seller to finish on eBay as pretty much no chance of a bidding war (unless you are looking to a US market)

sinker

moorebooks said:
...its going for 99p  I amazed Tony hasn't bid fiver...

?.and photocopies for a tenner.

"True" value must be....? ?1500 for interest alone? More if you had some commercial use for the information included?

Actual "value"....whatever someone will pay for it, sadly, in true eBay style.

PeteHall

sinker said:
"True" value must be....? ?1500 for interest alone? More if you had some commercial use for the information included?

Actual "value"....whatever someone will pay for it, sadly, in true eBay style.

That's the issue with rare/ collectable stuff. You can't just sell it in a hurry and expect to get the right price, you need to wait for the right person who places the "right" value on it. It's not like selling a car, where a 99p start will always reach market value, as there is always a buyer out there...

Alex

Especially at a time when most people don't have money to spare

That's true of some, but they say 6 million people have more money, as lockdown is cutting down on commuting costs, and lets face it we have not been spending that much recently. Poor Tony Seddon etc, must be not getting any money at the moment. I am not wearing out my caving gear like I used to as it's not in use.

mikem

Yes but the more people who aren't worried about the cost, the better chance you have of competitive bidding