• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

done owt good over bank holiday weekend?

JB

I've been working all weekend so not been undergound. I know the SUSS lot were in Yorkshire. Anyone get up to owt good?

paul

Well I was with a bunch from the Orpheus in South Wales. We had trips in OFD II, OFD I and Dan-yr-Ogof.

Weather was brilliant as it p*ssed down most nights (with thunder and lightning on Saturday night) but mostly sunny during the day.

We had a strange experience sitting in the chamber in Dan-yr-Ogof with the food dump waiting for a couple of others on the way out. There's a hole in the roof which had a few drips coming out of it on the way in and still only a few drips on returning to the chamber but all of a sudden this turned to quite a lot of water in the space of seconds as if some huge tap had been switched on! :shock:

According to some who had not gone caving there had been a heavy downpour while we were underground and presumably the time taken for water to reach that hole isn't as long as the rest of the system which is supposed to have a 20 hour lag.

dunc

Nothing underground, couldn't possibly say what.. But I did get out waking on Monday in the Lakes (near Shap) - didn't see anyone else out on the fells, bliss! :)

D

Dave H

Two of my neighboughs were away for the weekend so I took the opportunity to 'prune' their tall hedges against my boundaries - well as far up as I could get on my 6.7M ladder!
I had a theraputic morning removing more, and more, of the offending objects until the wife took my petrol can away :(
And a cr*p afternoon clearing up the debris - I got rid of 2' height of the 'smaller' Leylandii hedge, and 3' from the big one of mature holly, with huge prickles on the leaves! I saw both of the neighboughs last evening, and they didn't mention the hedges, so I think I got away with it! I might ask if I can take a bit more off for them later in the year :LOL:
At least I'll be away caving next weekend :D Mendip's beware!

dunc

I got rid of 2' height of the 'smaller' Leylandii hedge,
What an evil thing it is, good old Leylandii.... Chop the fkr from below the roots and have ritual burning (barbeque) ceremony to enjoy the moment! :D

D

diggerdog adam

Did a 12 hr shift, grafted all day in the heat of the sun, (got burnt) whilst waching all our customers rexlaxing and having fun

Oh but did get to drive the train for 4 hrs only good thing it pissed it down last thing and then they all went home !

Touristom work who needs it !

mudmonkey

DH - it would be most uncharitable of me to mention the effects that injecting, for example, copper sulphate, under the bark of a tree can have on its life expectancy. So I won't mention it.

I went for a walk along Lathkill Dale. Didn't realise just how many mining remains there are up there. Question for anyone who knows : What was the building which now has the remains of two millstones in it? It seems a funny place to have a mill - I think it's the furthest upstream obvious old building on the true left bank.

Stupot

Hiked 17 miles across Dartmoor in the glorious sunshine and burnt my head in the process :oops:

Ended up in the pub, downed a few jars of real ale before crashing in the tent, woke up with a furry tounge and blurred vision only to hike another 12 miles :shock:

You gotta love it.

And here's the evidence, i was'nt sleeping, merely watching the birds...

stupot-22.jpg

Stu.

These Americans don't observe the the May Day tradition of the British... so last year I decided that I would take a personal day from work and begin to recognise May Day each year.

I took a 2 hour drive north (and incidently crossed a timezone) to the Porcupine Mountains on the south shore of Lake Superior. It snowed most of the day... but I put in 15 miles with a friend and his dog (see picture).

CN.

050205-1.jpg