Best way to spend 2 weeks in South Wales

A

angelmaz11

Hi all,

I was thinking of spending 2 weeks in South Wales this summer. Does anyone recommend where to stay? I've been at SWCC 3 times and love it there, poeple are very friendly and it's always nice to be there. Though there isn't much around. One needs a car just to go out... it would be nice to find out if there are any places to stay which offers a little more "to do", like swimming, going for a run, cycling? (a bit hard at SWCC)

Obviously caving is priority, I'm just saying that it would be good to do something different on a day off...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

mudmonkey

I like Whitewalls, the CSS hut. You've got the Llangattock escarpment just above for climbing, Llankgattock mountain for walking and the tramroad for cycing - not the best riding in the world but it's flat. It's a few miles from Crickhowell but could be walked if you wanted and you can walk to Aggy and Daren. Not sure about swimming, though.....

Or the Croydon hut is in a village, but a bit further from fun-things-to-do.

D

darkplaces

I'd rather spend time in North Wales. Poking around the slate mines.
South Wales, you could do the 'Big Pit Tour' (snigger)

Rhys

angelmaz11 said:
One needs a car just to go out... it would be nice to find out if there are any places to stay which offers a little more "to do", like swimming, going for a run, cycling? (a bit hard at SWCC)
The possibilities for running and cycling (mountain or road) from SWCC are limitless! There's mountains in all directions! There is a swimming pool in Ystradgynlais, 7 miles or so down the valley - you could cycle there. Alternatively, there are numerous mountain streams with some great swimming spots.

I would agree that being at SWCC without a car during a wet week can be a bit depressing though.

Rhys

A

AndyT

c**tplaces said:
South Wales, you could do the 'Big Pit Tour' (snigger)

Big pit is actually very good. It is also free.

You can also 'impress' your fellow cavers saying that you went down Pwll Mawr and did a 300ft pitch ;-)