Author Topic: Where is the 'delete my account' button?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Maggot

• obsessive maniac
  • Gone. Not being guilty by association.
Where is the 'delete my account' button?
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:29:52 am »
Serious question. As per topic title.

Offline bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
Re: Where is the 'delete my account' button?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:27:34 am »
There isn't one.

If you no longer wish to use your account just stop using it.  We don't hold any personal data of yours bar your email address so this can be changed if required.
=:blubba:=

[ nsfw ]

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:04:30 am »
I guess it would make threads look weird if messages started disappearing due to account deletions.

Offline TheBitterEnd

• forum hero
  • KCC
    • KCC - Join an active club
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:16:13 pm »
It might be that someone wants to disassociate themselves from any comments that they have made in the past. In that case I would assume that the mods could lock the account, remove the email address and change the username without posting the name change to the forum?

'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.' — Mark Twain

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:02 pm »
You can hide, but you can't run.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 04:15:57 pm »
It might be that someone wants to disassociate themselves from any comments that they have made in the past. In that case I would assume that the mods could lock the account, remove the email address and change the username without posting the name change to the forum?
We can delete the account but all former posts default to being posted by "guest".  This is ok if only one or two users do it, but it makes old conversations unreadable if there's more than one such user in a given topic.

We don't like to delete posts (unless it's something somebody quickly regrets and specifically asks us to soon after they've posted) because once they've been replied to or are buried in a long topic it has the potential to render that topic meaningless. This really isn't fair on the forum as a whole - if you signed up and posted stuff in public for all to see, it's a bit lame to expect it all to be wiped at some point in the future when you may regret what you've posted in the past. 

A good solution might be to change the username of the user to something like "guest 01", "defunct user xx", etc.

=:blubba:=

[ nsfw ]

Offline hrock

• menacing presence
  • the only way to travel
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 01:46:37 pm »
my old email address is being deleted in 2 days thats the address associated with this account. but i cant change it to my new email as for some reason i have 2 accounts the other with the new email. i have never posted with that account so would like to delete it so i can change my email and keep my used account up to date.  can you ether action this as admin or tell me how to do it.
faulty since production (can't spell) (spell chequed by chris)

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 02:55:21 pm »
All sorted thanks