Author Topic: 'What if' or 'Shit happens'  (Read 10211 times)

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
Re: 'What if' or 'Shit happens'
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2013, 12:28:01 am »
Never heard of it happening with a Croll, you may be thinking of the Jumar, a die cast body that was inclined to suffer hairline cracks if mistreated and consequently break unexpectedly :o
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2013, 12:30:57 am »
Never heard of it happening with a Croll, you may be thinking of the Jumar, a die cast body that was inclined to suffer hairline cracks if mistreated and consequently break unexpectedly :o

I wasn't talking about a Croll, it was a Clogger that was mentioned.
Although now you mention it, it was probably the Jumar I was thinking of...
I'm a very busy person

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2013, 08:43:34 am »
Duh, my brains going as well :confused:, wasn't the Clogger a predecessor of the Croll, pressed steel, made by Petzl? they put a bend in the attachment points so it fitted more snugly on the chest and called it a Croll. (or have I pickled more brain cells than I thought?) :shrug:

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2013, 08:46:43 am »
Cloggers were British made, but I guess in their basic shape they could have been the forerunner (?) of all jammers such as the Petzl hand-jammer and Croll.

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2013, 08:53:52 am »
Aah, something stirs in the depths of the old grey matter, something about a climbing gear manufacturer from North Wales, (Clogwyn), or is that another Boggy Fantasy?? :'( :'(

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2013, 10:33:11 am »
Hence the name, bograt!

By the way, does anyone else have a problem with the spell-checker on this site? e.g., it wouldn't allow me at first to write 'bograt' but changed it to 'bog rat' . . . my typing's bad enough without having to cope with some stupid ghost in the machine.

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2013, 11:45:45 am »
Thanks for that implied confidence in my demented memory Fulk! :thumbsup:,

Heres another one;
One of them, either Clog or Petzl, had a grooved cam, as opposed to the dimpled one that came later, totally useless when they were "cacked up" on a muddy nylon hawserlay climbing rope. I admit I needed assistance to get up a deep mine shaft on the Great Orme because the bloody things just would not grip!!
 I hasten to add that it was not a callout, my team had it sorted and the hauling team consisted of 4 admirable ladies and two males, Special Thanks to Liz Taylor for that one! :) :) :) :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention, whilst this was going on, someone decided to test how deep the shaft was by the traditional method, even small pebbles make a disconcerting sound as they pass by your ears after about 300ft! :annoyed:

P.S. We entered the shaft partway down through the climbing shaft entrance, I was the mug sent down the bottom half of the engine shaft looking for the sough.

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2013, 12:07:26 pm »
Didn't they also randomly break in half for no good reason...   :-\

I never heard fo the happening with Cloggers. Jumars certainly were prone to fracturing and were often backed-up with some nylon tape wrapped around the frame.
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!