Author Topic: Rigging Y-Hangs  (Read 4787 times)

Offline ian mckenzie

• obsessive maniac
  • Alberta Speleological Society (Canada)
    • Karst Almighty
Re: Rigging Y-Hangs
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 07:46:39 pm »
I saw some fixed rope rigged as a bowline on one bolt, then the tail going up to the other bolt with a figure 8 on it.
Am I missing something... doesn't a bowline pop thru if you pull its tail and the loop in opposite directions?  Doesn't everyone tie off a bowline's tail onto its loop to avoid it's being tugged?

Offline ian mckenzie

• obsessive maniac
  • Alberta Speleological Society (Canada)
    • Karst Almighty
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:12 pm »
OK I tried it, and I see now that as long as the standing rope is weighted, the bowline cannot come undone.  It could only happen if you seriously weighted the tail inbetween the two knots (cowstail clip-in?).

Offline Chocolate fireguard

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 08:02:47 pm »
I saw some fixed rope rigged as a bowline on one bolt, then the tail going up to the other bolt with a figure 8 on it.
Am I missing something... doesn't a bowline pop thru if you pull its tail and the loop in opposite directions?  Doesn't everyone tie off a bowline's tail onto its loop to avoid it's being tugged?

That was my first thought , but it was wrong - I had to get a bit of rope and tie it as Ian described before I realised.
Pulling the tail and the live rope in opposite directions, which is what would happen if the first bolt fails, only seems to tighten the bowline.
It`s pulling the tail and its side of the loop in opposite directions that pops the knot.