The Great Indoors (HTV Wales Program)

Huge

Does anyone know if this program is available to view/buy anywhere? Web searches turn up nothing.

If you haven't seen it, it was a really good documentary, made in the late 80's, about caving at Llangattock, mainly about the then new discoveries in Daren Cilau. I used to have a copy on VHS, of a recording off the tele!

It featured Bill Gascoine, Martyn Farr, Ann Franklin and John Parker talking about Aggy, Craig A Ffynnon and Daren whilst stood at a bar (in the Drum & Monkey?). Bill was shown placing dye into a stream. There was footage of Clive Gardener in Daren, Martyn and Arthur Millet in the Time Machine, Andy Cave and Angela Garwood (this was before they got married) camping and digging with the Rock Steady Crew.

I'd like to see it again and I'm sure anyone who hasn't seen it, would find it fascinating.

I suppose it's a piece of caving history now!

Huge

The Great Indoors. A play on the Great Outdoors as it's about caves!

It really was an excellent program. I'd love to track down a copy.

martinr

Huge said:

No, sorry, you've lost me there. Caving is open-air recreation, can't be done indoors  ;)

I'll ask if your program is in the MCG library, may take a while to get an answer for you  (y)

bograt

Huge said:

Hmm, "indoors", so that can't really be interpreted as "open air recreation",  judgement by media again!! :mad:

P.S., posts crossed with Mel.

Huge

Was thinking of making a CROW reference myself but thought better of it and then I go and miss yours completely Martinr!  :-[

That would be great if you could check in your library for me.  :clap:

ptpeaty

The name of 'The Great Indoors' was given to this TV programme following a quote made, I think, by Gonzo from Mendip. He was describing the Hard Rock Cafe experience and the explorations being undertaken from that sector of the cave and described as 'We like to think of this all as the Great Indoors'. That's where it comes from. As to having a copy of the prog, can't help you there as the VHS tape is hidden somewhere in the loft. Maybe someone like Clive Gardener or Gonzo can help you?

Huge

Thanks for that ptpeaty.

I thought it was Andy Cave who said that but then it's been over 20 years since I saw the program!

ptpeaty

Huge said:
Thanks for that ptpeaty.

I thought it was Andy Cave who said that but then it's been over 20 years since I saw the program!

Hmmm.....Now you mention it,I think you are right. It was Andy Cave who made the quote. I will have to watch it again sometime as it was a well made film and caught the mood of the Daren explorations in a particularly positive way. Coming up to the 30th anniversary of the first 84 breakthrough in September.

mudman

Excellent news.
Just finished watching it. I remember watching it many years ago and enjoying it then, I enjoyed it just as much, maybe more so, now. It's a good historical record and I'm very pleased that it's out in the public domain now.

Huge

Absolutely brilliant! Great film and a great piece of history now. Features the forum's very own Clive G! And Manrabbit's hand as he likes to remind us!