Author Topic: Cave Conservation Rewards  (Read 44355 times)

Offline Antwan

• junky
  • YSS
    • 3peaksuk.org
Re: Cave Conservation Rewards
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 04:43:45 pm »

These guys had fun, even if it wasn't quite a cave...

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 06:56:30 pm »
 :thumbsup:

A good job there well done!
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline D.Snaith

• DCMEG, DCUC, PCG, MCG, Devon CRO Member
  • regular
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 06:58:57 pm »
This specific mine in Devon took me three months to clear the shaft out. this was done as a project not only to gain access to the mine but also to preserve it for further generations. since then we have dug, bolted and built a scaffolding platform to gain further access to the deeper workings and it all paid off when we discovered loads of new passage never seen before.  I don't have any before or after photos, but i have a few of during, the first pic is on day 3 of clearing and the third is day 7.
IMG_0047 by Daniel Snaith

10936651_1543047735945654_449404653_o by Daniel Snaith

DSC_0005 by Daniel Snaith
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:09:17 pm by D.Snaith »
Achieving deep penetration since 2011

Offline undergroundHP

• regular
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 07:17:23 pm »
Getting mucky in the woods
Time to clear the rubbish in Tom Bells Cave.
Tom Bells cave is a bit of a unusual cave,
It is a natural grit stone cave that is in Hard Castle crags woods ,West Yorkshire
Not many cavers visit the cave but over the years the cave entrance has had many locals and kids from the local scout camp shelter in the entrance tunnel.
The cave is well worth the woodland hunt to find it. it has lots of features and is a good squeesy grittty adventure.

I had the afternoon off work and on a sunny day the best thing to do was to go underground.( i wouldn't want to get a tan!)
Armed with a big ikea bag and kit bag i worked through the undergrowth to the cave.
I worked from the inside out picking up many cans, bits of plastic, a postal sack , fertaliser sacks, some very old caving rope and to my surprise a road side warning beacon.

Its only when you slow down in a cave you notice how much there is. I couldent go a meter without finding something to put in the sack.

The spiders are now going to have a much cleaner cave to live in.

Once out the cave the sack was full. now the problem and real hard work. - doing this by myself meant had get the rubbish back to the car, up hill, in the sun, this was one very sweaty walk.

Cheers for reading and hope you make the trip to tom bells one day.

Sorry images are so big.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2015, 11:11:40 pm »
Good post UndergroudHP.  I agree with your observation that it is only when you slow down and look around that you realise how much rubbish there it.  You've shown the right spirit too.  Take your pick - waterproof socks or a multi functional neck fleece.

PS - you didn't come across the missing human skull did you?

Offline undergroundHP

• regular
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 06:10:22 am »
I will take the socks please.
The human skull is a legend. I did find a hair comb in the very bottom of the cave though. A good 40 min from the surface!!

Thank you very much!!

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • My Photos
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 09:49:11 pm »
Nettle Pot - To Hell And Back - Tuesday 1st Sept 2015

8 Years ago Pete O’Neil set me a job to resurvey to the bottom of Nettle, due to him having doubts about the quality of the existing survey. I mostly ignored him. The Eldon PC’s recent explorations in Crusader (Oxlow) last year were sufficient to increase my interest in the surrounding area including Nettle, and what better way to learn a place than to survey it, even if it is basically a draughtless and overly tight hole to nowhere.

On a single trip with MarkR and SimonG in Jan 2015, we got most of the way, but DistoX battery issues turned us around. It took until September for me to return, this time with LukeC. As always, I had great plans. Finish the survey in Hell, push a lead I remembered from years back, then survey Red River and maybe even Dratsab (and of course make it out in time for the pub). As always, I under-delivered…

The trip started efficiently and pleasantly, the survey to the bottom got completed in no-time, and the mood was generally high, assisted by the musical accompaniment of the Foos playing on my surveying phone.

I quickly smashed that satisfaction aside when I suggested we give the place a bit of a tidy. It was a state down there, but I still don’t know what came over me. I think it was because the plan was seeming to go so well that I figured it can’t be that hard to remove the few bits lying about in this remote and neglected dig site. I even wondered whether such small amounts would be worthy of note compared to so many of the other sterling efforts in this thread, and wondered how much exaggeration would be needed!?!

It started off slowly. A few bits of stemming wood, the occasional chisel, a few bottles of half full washing up liquid (why, just why?), ooo a hammer, a bigger chisel, a battered old electron ladder, some scaf clips, and even bigger chisel. Ahead Luke had picked up a steel scaf tube and a 1.5m long, really heavy, air drill bit. For some reason things just seemed to slow down.

Once back at the base of the bottom pitch in Hell (Eyes Down?), Luke hauled the seriously heavy tacklebag whilst I freeclimbed alongside to steer it up through the tight and awkward rifts, although that action was primarily as I didn’t want to be below the horrendously dangerous load. As I climbed up passed the lead I was hoping to push I realised this trip was now going to be one compromise after another.

We were right when we anticipated the most difficult bit would be at the top of the next pitch (Bingo Pot?), where a tight pitch head leads straight into an even tighter meander. Both memorable obstacles on a normal day. Needless to say, we were both shattered after that section, leading us to reflect how hard it would be removing a casualty from this place! My suggestion to survey Red River was quickly yet politely declined by Luke, and after a quick explore we continued the crawls back to the main pitches.

I wouldn’t say that satisfaction was setting in yet, but the actual process of collecting rubbish seemed to be infectious. We both just kept filling our pockets and oversuits, clipping bits onto belts, and generally trying to make the place cleaner. I was even strangely happy when I realised one of the washing up liquid bottles was leaking.

Once at the bottom of Beza caution defeated valour as we left the drill bit to one side. There was just too high a chance it was going to drop through the base of the quickly disintegrating tackle bag, and as it was Luke’s turn to derig, he was going to be constantly in the firing line below me!

Getting to the surface at midnight after what felt like a lot longer than a 5 hour trip, we agreed that was both a stupid and unusually pleasing thing to do. Certainly a nice change, and if nothing else, I’ve got a scaf bar to take down a different dig…

UKC, Nettle thanks you for encouraging us to clean up her lower bits!
The end is where we start....

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 11:48:30 pm »

Brilliant effort and entertaining report - well done.  :thumbsup:

Offline Leclused

• forum star
    • The Avalon Blog
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 08:29:16 am »
Thumbs up  :thumbsup:

And you now have 3 extra chissels too :-)

Ps I'm using this thread as a fine example of how clean-up actions can be encouraged. Keep up the good work!!
Dagobert L'Ecluse (SC Avalon - Belgium)
http://www.scavalon.be
http://scavalon.blogspot.be

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 12:44:20 pm »
Sterling effort  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I suggest you put a new shaft on the hammer before you use it!  ::)
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Mark R

• addict
  • BBPC
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2015, 09:13:55 am »
Great job Rob and Luke- I can well imagine how horrible it was getting stuff out from the bottom of there!
What's more use to you- a 50m Beal Antipode rope or a Petzl classique tackle bag, a Berger Book or a £30 hitch and hike voucher?
Take your pick :)

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2015, 12:55:54 pm »
Despite having a horrid time here on Lanzarote at the moment where the miserable weather is spoiling our fun, I chivvied Aubrey into coming along this morning to tidy up a cave on the island that I "discovered" last time out here but was dismayed to see it was quite littered. So we went along to the hardware store this morning to get some gloves and bin bags and then drove up to Las Nieves and then along the clifftop path to the Cueva Risco de Famara and spent a happy time collecting rubbish - mostly empty water bottles, tissue paper (lots and lots and lots of tissue paper), bottles, cigarette packets, tea lights, joss sticks and othersuch party detritus. Managed to fill three bin bags and removed it - now time for an alfresco lunch in appalling sunshine and blue skies, 31 degrees. Shall try and find another cave to rummage around in to keep out of the hostile conditions....

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 01:25:49 pm »
Great stuff Cap'n - that's the spirit.  Enjoy the alfresco lunch and glorious sunshine.  Jealous  ;D

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »
This is a picture of rubbish from the 1993 clean up in Ease Gill.  It was the first by the Red Rose Cave & Pothole Club and there has been one every year since and still finding stuff, says Ray Duffy.  The next one is on the weekend of 3/4th October.

Ukcaving has offered a bundle of rewards valued at over £200 to support this.  The club may use these as they wish, hopefully to encourage more participation.  The only condition is that they report the effort on here including a few photographs - good luck.

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • My Photos
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 02:15:13 pm »
Awesome, we'll take a tackle bag please. It'll help with the next cleanup up!
The end is where we start....

Offline Mark R

• addict
  • BBPC
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2015, 04:08:40 pm »
Great, I'll take it to work this week if you're around, can meet up at lunch time to make the exchange :)

Email me to let me know what youngest to do.

Offline Mark R

• addict
  • BBPC
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2015, 06:10:59 pm »
Had a good trip up Victoria aven last night, pulled out two big tangles of bang wire and a length of pipe.
Rewarded ourselves with two pints in the Cheshire Cheese :)

Offline 2xw

• obsessive maniac
  • Caving slag (but SUSS really)
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 12:22:04 am »
http://imgur.com/O3WDkmy

Removed from maskhill and repurposed for dig

Offline caveMonkey

Re: Cave Conservation
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 09:52:10 am »
Thank you for all your efforts in this cave conservation initiative and thank you for the exped bag! Hopefully it will encourage more participation.
As it happens, we removed some more rubbish in the form of timber during our most recent trip. I have been trying to insert the images but have failed to so far. So keep posted for the all exciting photos of timber!

Offline Mark R

• addict
  • BBPC
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 01:07:01 pm »
Thanks 2XW for the link, perhaps a short trip report would be good- how many were involved, hard work or easy? Did you talk to the farmer in the end about storing the rubbish on the surface overnight and if so, was he accommodating?

Give us a bit of info and you can collect your Petzl Classique tackle bag to go with the Spatha knife you have already earned :)

Thanks for the comments Cave Monkey- I can't wait to see those photos, they sound scintillating! :) Keep up the good work all!

Offline 2xw

• obsessive maniac
  • Caving slag (but SUSS really)
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2015, 09:40:25 pm »
It was a glorious sunny day, the sort that really makes you pleased to be going underground.

3 of us faffed up to the entrance and faffed down it, faffed for a bit and then I realised I forgot my saw. Faffing hell.

We loaded what we could into tacklebags, creg disapeared up the shaft and, shortly before hauling a bag up, asked us how to use a traxion. You'll all be pleased to know it worked out in the end, and quickly enough.

I have to haul my own fat arse up on a rope so compared these bits of wood were not too bad really.

It was left at the roadside with no prior discussion because I forgot and picked up early the next morning when we all went to do an o/m exchange. We had to leave a few in there, will go back for it in next few days.

Offline dudley bug

• addict
    • South Wales Caves
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 06:27:42 pm »
The Dudley have been working on a digging project in Cwm Dwr II located in the same quarry as the main Cwm Dwr cave.
The cave has been subject to some previous digging and many old tools and equipment had been left to rot in the cave. Also numerous fertiliser sacks of spoil had been left piled up in the cave. The bags were emptied, spoil tidied up and all the old equipment and rubbish was taken out on our digging trip this weekend.
www.ogof.org.uk/ South Wales Cave Mapping

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 12:32:16 pm »
That's a worthy effort guys and a first report from Wales - well done.  Take your pick from these two rewards;

A Petzl Personal Tackle bag or a copy of the Berger Book, L'esprit d'equipe.

By way of further incentive, if you post another good report from a clean up in Wales there may just be an Exped waterproof rucksack with your name on it.  :thumbsup:

Offline dudley bug

• addict
    • South Wales Caves
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 12:45:24 am »
That's great thanks.  :beer2: The book is fantastic and would make a great addition to our Club library.
www.ogof.org.uk/ South Wales Cave Mapping

Offline chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 09:37:40 am »
Thank you so much for our prize of the Gouffre Berger book. I have just finished reading it, and by 'reading' I do of course mean looked at all the pictures  :-[

I am very much looking forward to Jess reading me the word thingys later and then it will be taken to the club and entered in to the club library for all to enjoy.

Thanks again!!!