Author Topic: Cave Conservation Rewards  (Read 44446 times)

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
Re: Cave Conservation Rewards
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2015, 06:26:14 pm »
Did a Dow to Prov trip yesterday on my own, thought I might as well be useful and pull up some rubbish its amazing what gets washed/left in a cave:
A sock - found prov side of the blasted crawl,
a knee pad - found on rocks near bridge hall (now posted in lost and found)
a bottle - found wedged between blocks in the narrows,
lots of orange plastic - Downstream and in the Narrows,
a mars bar - entrance side of blasted crawl,
a red ribbon - no idea
and capped off with an elastic band, found in bridge hall itself.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:36:14 pm by Alex »
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline undergroundHP

• regular
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 08:04:57 am »
Yordas top Log and Jingling pot
Two trips on separate days.
First day. Jingling pot. i had always known this pot as a graveyard pot. last time i visited i remembered loads of bones in the pot so thought i would return to collect some for my dog.
This time we dropped down easily apart from having a tawny owl fly at us  trying to defend its nest!!
once in the pot we removed as many bones and small bits off wood leaving behind some bigger ones and scaffolding poles that i think are being used lower down near the dig? :thumbsup:
After pulling the bag out and getting a proper sweat on we relaxed in the warm October day.

Also on this trip i used my Spancet gold rope that i had won in a UKC competition. It was a dream to use and packed well.

Day 2  -yordas pot top log.
After gaining permission from Natural England and land owner we went up to yordas to remove the top entrance log that has been very rotten for many years.
My friends believed it was not that rotten but when i was nearly able to pick the log up by myself  they believed me.
after setting up a safety line for ourselves and making sure the lower entrances were taped off and warning signs placed we proceeded to stand around and think about  moving it. Gave it a few kicks and then got on a cut it up into four pieces that were easy to lift over the fence.
The log was surprising easy to get rid off and non fell done the pot!! :clap2:
We removed a dodgy wobbly rock from under where the log had been sat and cleaned up.
What do you do after getting hot and sweaty ? You need to cool off! If only we were near a cold water filled crawl and a water fall! :shrug:
We descended and did a pull through of the pot with the kit and   cleared away after a good day and good deeds done.
Now no one can accidentally rig off the log and bring it down onto them in the pot.
At some point i plan to remove the logs that have washed into the system. this will take winches and more man power.
Thanks
 HP

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:17 am »
Underground HP

Great effort on both counts.  Well done to all involved.  There is a definitely a reward in this for you and the crew.  Let me consult the the rewards committee  ;) and we'll get back to you.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 09:14:33 am »
Alex

We haven't forgotten your fine effort either. The committee  ;) thought that it wasn't quite enough for a reward at this stage but if you followed it up with a few more you would be well on your way to earning a tackle bag.  Picking up rubbish in the course of a normal trip is a fine example of what we all can do.  Keep up the good work.

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 09:53:53 am »
undergroundHP - well done and many thanks! Did you take the opportunity to replace the broken rail on the fence, or is this work still needing to be done? All your pics are of the other side of the enclosure!

Offline undergroundHP

• regular
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 10:08:23 am »
We did a temporary repair of the fence but  it will need some one to take up some new wood to re build fully. sorry i did not have at the time.
HP

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 11:42:37 am »
The Red Rose have been organising clean ups around the Ease Gill System since 1993.  This years event was certainly worthy of a reward or two so several tackle bags and a selection of accessories were made available to the club to promote their event.  Ray Duffy has sent in the following report;

On 3rd October 2015 several members of the Red Rose Cave and Pothole Club, some NPC and others, turned out at Bullpot Farm to go and retrieve some of the rubbish left in the system, mainly by diggers it must be said. We normally remove normal litter on our trips anyway so there’s less of the sweet wrappers, cans, bottles and carbide lying around for us to pick up, thank heavens people are being a bit more conservation minded these days. However, the pictures illustrate that ‘us diggers’ are less environmentally friendly than normal cavers when it comes to stripping our digs, or are we really going to go back some day and finish off the dig? Among the stuff removed were 30 buckets, 2 enormously heavy muddy plastic sheets and strangely half a boiler suit, don’t ask! Several bits of tatty rope were taken out and that leads to another prickly problem – I’ve logged at least 51 ropes in the Ease Gill area and 18 total pieces of ladders, stemples, scaffold bars, tapes and staples – are they all necessary, who is responsible for their placing and upkeep? Is it time for some of them to come out or are they going to proliferate and we’ll finish up with a permanent ropeway through the system?
Thanks to everyone who helped and of course all those responsible cavers who take their litter home with them.

Great to see this stuff finally removed from our caves.  Well done to all.

Offline undergroundHP

• regular
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2015, 05:50:25 pm »
Mud,mud and a little bit more mud

So i finish work early and with a couple of hours to kill and the caving kit in the car i thought i would check out the caves of storrs common.
This was not a planned conservation trip but after soon seeing the rubbish my inner good person kicked in.
The main rubbish was in storrs common cave down in the hole and dig area.( wall cavern )
There was lots of general rubbish thrown in by walkers such as cans, dog poo bags, yoghurt pots.
More unusual items included a bright green old ripped up caving suit, sections of caving ladder , some old glass bottles, a section of rail way track out of a mine  and what i think looked like a scythe  and the head of a sledge hammer
There was the usual large amounts of wood. including lots of broken ply wood.
There were 4 digging buckets that had become part of the mud and were not being used and never would be.
I will keep these in case anyone wants them back.

It was sweaty heavy going but wall chamber looks allot better than it did.
It still has some digging items in there but they looked like they were being used so i left them.
If any one can inform me if the dig has stopped then i will remove the rest of the items.

Thanks for reading

HP
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:08:41 pm by Pegasus »

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2015, 06:54:40 pm »
Great effort UndergroundHP.  This and your previous clean ups have earnt you an Exped Waterproof Rucksack.  PM to arrange delivery.

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2015, 08:10:52 pm »
Hi HP, I made your photos a little easier to see (smaller) - you brought a lot of rubbish out, well done  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2015, 07:33:04 pm »
Two West Yorkshire based cavers decided to have a clean up in and around Wharfedale, in a little known cave near Kettlewell.
Two full bags of phone wire, digging equipment, old boiler suits and the like were dragged out after a few hours worth of hard work underground.

Well done lads  :halo: - whoever you are  ;)!

Offline JasonC

• forum hero
  • KCC
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2015, 09:19:24 pm »
I like the burqa - that's proper West Yorkshire, that is  ;)

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2015, 09:40:09 pm »
Yes, well done. Those two bags were brought out from 2.5Km into the cave.

Only another 48 bags full to go now.

Offline adam

• addict
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2015, 08:13:56 pm »
Went wombling down Ibbeth Peril on Sunday with some folks from the East Pennine Outdoor Club (Whoooooooooooooo?)

Being a flood sink there was all sorts of interesting clobber in there, apart from the usual wrappers, bags and farm plastic. In two sack-fulls, some of the more unusual finds included two trainers, two camping gas bottles (one full), a comb, a candle, an old brown medicine bottle and a jif lemon. I expect the next flood will deposit a fresh selection of gubbins, but it looks a lot nicer for the time being.

There were a couple of dumps of digging paraphernalia which we didn't take out. They looked pretty doubtful but thought I should ask around before moving them. Does anyone know who they might belong to?

We also tried our hand at assessing the condition of some of the lovely formations for the Northern Caves Monitoring Scheme.

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2015, 09:34:43 pm »
A jif lemon??!!

Offline adam

• addict
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2015, 10:42:46 pm »
Yeah, it still had some vaguely lemony liquid inside it, though I wasn't brave enough to taste it   :yucky:

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • Peak Instruction, DCMC, DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2015, 09:20:48 pm »
So, I'm not sure if this counts as conservation in the mainstream but it does in my head. Just posting to keep the thread up at the top really.
Today a team of instructors from the Snowdonia area and myself on day release from the Peak headed over to Bwlch y Plwm lead mine near Porthmadog. A few weeks ago I'd been in with some friends and really enjoyed the through trip but had this feeling of sadness that the mine was riddled with old corroding bolts and lots of rusted maillons. The site had seen some excellent bolting in the past but a number of the pitches were reliant on poor anchors of mixed metals which just looked like a dogs dinner. There is no real BCA backed bolting scheme in the area so it falls to users to make these trips happen. As I had the kit and experience I came up with a plan to remove and replace the corroded anchors and have a bit of a litter pick at the same time. That got us to today.
A small team assembled in the hail and grimly geared up with what felt like 100kg of bolts and drilling/grinding gear. First stop was the top entrance, a sweaty but cold walk up the hill from the parking. The top adit had a collection of alloy hangers with steel bolts and seized maillons and karabiners. Mixed metal corrosion had got these to a pretty poor state. We removed or cut everything out apart from the 2 good resin pitch head bolts. The removed anchors were replaced with new stainless steel resin bolts, half donated by me and half by Andy of SerenVentures. The mine is typically done as a pull through and the pitch here had an old rope and maillon for the purpose. We installed a new pull through set-up with 8mm stainless steel chain and maillons. The 10m pitch can be rigged for SRT or pull through off good anchors now. We left the rope in situ for now as I need to contact the owner but I hope to have it removed soon.
The second pitch down is a 30m and was fairly well bolted. We added another anchor on the far side of the shaft to make traverses more secure and installed a second stainless steel chain for pull through or SRT rigging. No anchors needed removing here but again, an original rope was left until claimed.
We made our way through the remainder of the trip down to the Deep Adit checking anchors on route and was pleased to see it was less cluttered with rusty bolts. A bit of litter picking, water channeling and pitch gardening took us to the exit passage where we met the other 2 team members who had been clearing a year's worth of leafy debris from the adit mouth and restoring the original water level from thigh deep to welly deep. Not bone dry but far better!
We're all professional cavers and felt that this venue needed some attention as it is a known group site but also it just looked unloved. Previous anchor installers have made a good trip here and we have just tidied it up and made things a bit safer. I'd highly recommend a visit here if you are passing, even if just a walk in the Deep Adit.
We've more work planned in other mines in the area soon. Just need to get hold of some drag trays for litter clearing first.

Ahhh, why can I not figure out getting photos to display??
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peakinstruction/23166060192/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:30:08 pm by Pete K »

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2015, 11:25:11 am »

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2015, 12:03:03 pm »
This is just a polite heads up regarding ongoing underground work in central Wales. The stimulus for this posting is the "If in doubt bring it out", the activity on this thread, and the recent removal of private property from the Frongoch mine near Pontrhydygroes. The later was subsequently returned to the mine along with a very patronising and inappropriate message.

Please note:

All Cwmystwyth mines belong to Cambrian Mines Trust, Frongoch and Goginan mines belong to a private landowners where either me personally or CMT are authorised to perform underground works. Henfwlch, Alltycrib (Talybont), and Temple Mine (Devils Bridge) belong to NRW with whom there is an agreement with Cave Access Ltd and periodic safety maintenance work is being carried out for which I have taken personal responsibility.
Dinas Silica Mine in south Wales belongs to Natural Amenities Ltd.

Underground work in Lefel Fawr, Cwmystwyth is expected to start in the new year following SAM approval, notices will be posted as appropriate and warning given on this and other websites. But in brief, if anyone wants to remove my empty pop bottles and food wrappers I will consider it a favour, but ropes, hangers, tools, buckets, and building materials etc should be left as is, their removal will constitute common theft.

Where these sites are concerned policy should be 'if in doubt tell Roy about it' as is being done now quite regularly, and I am grateful for the input.

roy@royfellows.uk

Easy enough to remember.

Glad NAMHO 2019 over.

Offline Bratchley

• player
  • CDG, BEC, BPC, Plymouth Uni.
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2015, 06:19:32 pm »
Sorry if it's not quite enough for a reward but i'll mention it anyway as it's generally interesting.

Whilst cave diving in Pridhamsleighs 30m deep lake sump through to Pridhamsleigh 2 (Devon), I thought I'd remove a number of the wellies that had unfortunately found themselves at the bottom of this beautiful dive site sticking out of the silt after uncountable "cannonballs" and swims rendered the unwary caver wellyless. It was certainly fun trying to keep hold of them all on the ascent!

It's amazing how rotten rubber can get, it's still stuck to my drysuit!

Josh
I like caves.

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2015, 09:09:52 pm »
Whilst keeping the tradition of t'owd man's candle in Hillocks on Christmas eve, I removed two short coils of rope, a pair of gloves, and a number of tea lights. The rope and gloves were there Christmas eve 2014, so given the amount of time that's elapsed I presume the owner isn't coming back for them, but if they're yours, PM me.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2015, 06:33:10 pm »
DCRO was missing some rope after a recent practice there. If you think the bits you found look new enough to be theirs then let me know and I'll come and grab it off you. They should have DCRO tags.

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2015, 07:59:21 pm »
Both old and rather grubby, I didn't notice any tags but I'll have another look.

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2015, 08:26:38 pm »
Neither piece has any tags on them. However, I'll try and walk the dog over that way in the next few days and see if there's any bits tucked behind a wall.

Offline owd git

• forum hero
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 09:21:25 am »
In the same tradition Tim and I left a pie, beer and candle in jug holes in the area under/ beyond the boulder choke to t'old man. then fetched out the life-form that had developed from last years pie :yucky:.
we were in the habit of doing so in the Wapping , but the beer never lasted to the new year in there. :lol:  :beer2:.
take the bottle out if you drink the beer. :thumbsup:
O.G.
Hen racer? 2000 world hen racing champion