• The 6th and final winning ticket number is 558

    Check your ticket - if you won, claim your prize!

    The sixth prize to be drawn is the Mountain Equipment Lhotse Goretex Jacket

    Click here to claim

  • Welcome to our new forum members!

    Stay with us after the competition is over.

    Don't drift away to only using the billionaire techbro platforms. UKC is so much more than winning a prize! 20+ years of combined caver knowledge. UKC - the cavers' online community.

    Click here for more

Excellent article on Thai rescue

David Rose

Well-known member
My colleague Nick Craven wrote this piece in the Mail on Sunday.

It's pretty good:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5954605/British-diver-heroes-reveal-fears-Thai-cave-rescue-getting-lost-underwater-boys-bravery.html
 
I have read dozens and agree this is good. I never thought I would say that about a Daily Mail piece!
 
It is helped by the jounalist actually being able to talk to the divers themselves. Makes it all clearer. I must say having been strapped in a stretcher but  just in a swimming pool with a Kirby Morgan on it is frightening. The CDG were trialling this rescue technique when I joined the CDG  in 1980. The first cave trial also ended in a near disaster but valuable lessons were learnt although this, as far as I am aware, is the first time the technique has been used in a genuine rescue situation.  At the time of the pool trial  I felt complete loss of control. You have to have great trust in your rescuers.  They did a superb job in just about the worse conditions to conduct such a rescue.  I think the Mendip contingent might have had an advantage as some of the sumps here replicate those conditions plus they are, of course, cold!
 
More on the Thai Rescue

In the latest issue of Soldier [magazine] August 2018 pp 22-23 LCpl Connor Roe (REME) writes ?It was going to take a miracle to get them out?

 
Back
Top