Author Topic: Rowter Hole Update  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Brains

• forum hero
Re: Rowter Hole Update
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 05:41:04 pm »
Recently reduced to £20 - a bargain for a late present!

https://www.tsgcaving.co.uk/content/tsg-19

Sorry for the off-topic promotion ;)
Not sure the discount has made it through to the checkout, or P+P is a lot!  ;D

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 05:42:51 pm »
It weighs a kilogram ;)

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 10:16:03 pm »
Builders bum and a jumpsuit from Dennis jump sadly no longer in service. Though looks like it was too warm for it that day!

Hark back with that photo Phil! Must be 8 years ago now?

Mark and mark popped in to say hello to tony Seddon last weekend, hearing it first hand straight after they’re been in was fantastic! (Rob on a separate note I’ve got a long scaff bar :thumbsup: )

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2019, 12:54:15 am »
Ha - not that long ago! June 2015 ;)

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • junky
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2020, 04:34:44 pm »
A belated trip report from 18th July this year. Just myself and Mark R.

It was 6 months or so since our last visit because quite a lot had happened, including an expedition, the arrival of children, and a global pandemic. The last of these meant we couldn’t even stop by Peveril stores for our usual breakfast due to their later opening. It also meant the Rowter farm campsite was as busy as we’d ever seen it.

Somehow we only had 3 bags between the two of us, and one of them was a light one. What a luxury, although our relative lack of caving in the preceding months probably more than offset this! We were pleased to see little water on our way down the first load of pitches and were optimistic that To Boldly Go may be a little less hostile this time. Despite the length of time since our last trip, once we got going it felt like it may as well have been the weekend before.

We were somewhat relieved to see that there were no noticeable changes in the shoring and walling at Fasten Your Seatbelts but hugely disappointed to see that there was as much water as before pouring down To Boldly Go. There was nothing for it but to don our jackets and just get on with it. Mark went down first, commenting that it seemed tighter than before. I followed with 2 bags, which decided to neatly wedge across the exit and jammed me in the narrow section with all the water. Nice.

Thankfully there was a little less water pouring down the shaft below, but it was still enough for us to be pretty damp by the time we arrived at the bottom. We were both fairly amused to find the base of the shaft looking much smaller than we had remembered, meaning the tarp we’d brought to provide some shelter from the spray proved to be large enough to comfortably cover the whole base of the shaft. We screwed it to the wall and acclimatised to the sound of the day with a welcome brew.

We then started shifting rocks, which was initially fairly easy going due to the large amounts of stacking/walling space. The undercut was looking good prospects-wise, but it meant that it wasn’t long before we were soon having to dig under a stream of water pouring off the wall. Mark dug first, and when he’d suffered enough it was my turn. Digging was more pleasant than our initial attempts under a foil blanket on our last trip, but could hardly be described as enjoyable. As I reached my limit, I could convince myself that there was a little bit of space below, but not enough to entice me to continue so we swapped again. Five minutes later Mark was making more optimistic sounds about the space and a couple more minutes saw us peering down a loose, person-sized slot into an enlargement below, which we reckoned was just about stable enough for a descent. Feet-first was our only option here so we decided to set up a belay. I had enjoyed the “pleasure” of first descents of To Boldly Go and the Split Infinitive, so this time it was Mark’s turn.

The tube quickly broke out into a 3 m climb down to an enlargement below with a low crawl the only possible way on, rapidly getting too low to progress. Time for some food. Feeling reinvigorated after a warm lunch and another brew, we went back in to start shifting some rocks around. There was fairly limited stacking space, but it seems that necessity is also the mother of efficient stacking.

Unfortunately removing loose fill only got us so far, and some widening was necessary. It didn’t look like it would take much, but the confined space and the fractured but well-wedged nature of the walls made it a real faff. We decided to call it a day at about 6 o’clock and surfaced a couple of hours later after a smooth trip out. Unfortunately we hadn’t got any photos because the new bits were quite a bit wetter than we had hoped…but it was probably good training to have carried the camera all the way there and back.

It was great to be back.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search