Author Topic: Gaping-Gill-Without-a-Winch Mid August Meet for Cavers  (Read 3354 times)

Offline MJenkinson

• forum star
Re: Gaping-Gill-Without-a-Winch Mid August Meet for Cavers
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 07:05:46 am »
Massive thanks to the CPC for the warm welcome and for rigging the system. We had a cracking trip down SM via SE Aven then back up SE Aven and Bar’s first pitch. Was hoping for Dihedral but given I’ve never done it, I was a bit unsure about the water. Went to Mud Hall (traverse still shagged), stream chamber and of course main chamber which was awesome with a bit more water coming down.

The comment about the broken bolt clears up the rigging at SE Aven - it was a bit novel! (if perfectly safe and functional).

Again big thanks for rigging it all.

Offline Russell Myers

• Craven Pothole Club
  • regular
  • Filed but not forgotten.
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 01:15:16 pm »
You'll know if you are in Flood coz a 42 inch chest like what I have don't fit very easily especially after all these years of caves being wet and shrinking like.
Just saying for a friend.
JFK: Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Offline Fjell

• menacing presence
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 05:08:07 pm »
You'll know if you are in Flood coz a 42 inch chest like what I have don't fit very easily especially after all these years of caves being wet and shrinking like.
Just saying for a friend.

Indeed. A couple of innocent teenage cavers might easily be guided by Northern Caves into thinking that Flood Entrance was the the way to go when you want to go down, er, Flood Entrance. It needing less rope and all.

It seems slightly odd that you can book Wades and Flood separately in the system. Will get busy on the last pitch.

Offline Ian Ball

• junky
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 07:37:06 pm »
Don't forget OBJ hole, it's no stranger than Small Mammal, Stile and Bar Pots being separate.

Offline HardenClimber3

• stalker
  • CPC
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 10:20:48 pm »
Massive thanks to the CPC for the warm welcome and for rigging the system. We had a cracking trip down SM via SE Aven then back up SE Aven and Bar’s first pitch. Was hoping for Dihedral but given I’ve never done it, I was a bit unsure about the water. Went to Mud Hall (traverse still shagged), stream chamber and of course main chamber which was awesome with a bit more water coming down.

The comment about the broken bolt clears up the rigging at SE Aven - it was a bit novel! (if perfectly safe and functional).

Again big thanks for rigging it all.

Glad you had a good trip. We've dug the rope on the Mud hall Traverse out. It is not damaged. It is now passable though a little more precarious with debris onthe 'steps'. The one slight worry is when the next fall will be.... (2x in 18 months)

Offline MJenkinson

• forum star
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2020, 09:36:21 am »
Any mileage in "persuading" the rest of the slope to slip and get it done once and for all...?

Offline HardenClimber3

• stalker
  • CPC
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2020, 09:38:21 am »
There is quite alot of it...

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search