Author Topic: The filthy five and St valentines sump info?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline tdobson

• Tim Dobson
  • regular
  • The Caving Crew
    • Bad Caving Tips
Re: The filthy five and St valentines sump info?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 12:03:09 am »
Sadly I'll still be at work mate, but I'll check my rota on Monday and find out my shifts and get back to you 😁

No stress. I'll try and get a good sense of what kit is needed and what we'll need to remove the pump etc. I have a fair amount of flexibility, including during the day - so if ever your shifts allow a daytime trip - feel free to suggest it.

Offline tdobson

• Tim Dobson
  • regular
  • The Caving Crew
    • Bad Caving Tips
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 12:02:05 pm »
So the Caving Crew + Anna headed down to St Valentines Sump on Monday and started work.
Really, we were on a jolly to East Canal, but we swung by SVS to figure out what needed to be done.

We:

• chopped the hose off the bilge pump
  • worked out what's needed to remove the rest
  • we removed the short length of pipe from the upstream side of the bilge pump
  • took photos of what's down there for reference
  • we were serious and solemn at all times as you'd all hope.

SamT: Shall we leave the long length of hose for the other side, or would it be best to bring it out?
Ben: any thoughts when you're up for another trip?

Here's a trip report from someone else's perspective: https://overgroundvunderground.blogspot.com/2020/09/giants-hole-east-canal.html

Offline benshannon

• addict
  • NUCC
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2020, 05:54:41 pm »
Good work dude. I'll check my diary and bank balance and work it out. Struggling for fuel Money this month

Offline Mrs Trellis

• British Jobs for British Shirkers
  • junky
  • Daft old bat
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 05:58:42 pm »
Sounds like a great trip. Were you all glowing afterwards?
Mrs Trellis
Upper Sheeps Bottom
North Wales

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2020, 09:12:02 pm »
Nice one!

I'd leave a long length (or two)  for the far side of the sump.

And maybe a couple of decent big buckets.

My imagined scenario goes something like:

Team drain St vals and descend FF.  Spend ages faffing about in the east canal, or there's a big flood, or encounter some sort of epic.
Cant return up the main stream, thus re-ascend FF only to discover St Vals is full again and thus are trapped on the wrong side if it with no means of getting back out.

So spare flexible pipe can be primed relatively easily from that side, and a syphon set going down FF to drain the sump again, assisted with some relatively straight forward bailing.

Offline tdobson

• Tim Dobson
  • regular
  • The Caving Crew
    • Bad Caving Tips
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 02:37:29 am »
I'd leave a long length (or two)  for the far side of the sump.

And maybe a couple of decent big buckets.

This all sounds great!

So currently the only thing on my work list is:
* take a screwdriver and remove the bilge pump, ready for its onwards journey home

I've not set the date for my next trip, but is there anything else we do that will be helpful later?

Are there other materials that will need carrying down there which we can sort out getting down there?
If the pipe was procured - we could work on getting that into position.

Sounds like a great trip. Were you all glowing afterwards?

One described it as "in my top 3 trips, ever". Tbf, it probably was in mine too - though I'm not prone to making a bit song and dance about it. Definitely my fav trip this year.

Good work dude. I'll check my diary and bank balance and work it out. Struggling for fuel Money this month

The struggle is real! I feel for you - I definitely can relate there  :doubt:
I probably can't help, but if I manage to summon my newbie-ish (yet becoming less newbie and has car + money!) caving friend from notts to come on a Giants trip - I'll give you a shout in case you can work out something.  :)

Offline tdobson

• Tim Dobson
  • regular
  • The Caving Crew
    • Bad Caving Tips
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 12:40:51 am »
Intending to head down later today.

Not sure if I'll make it to SVS (it may, or may not, be quite a gentle trip), but in case I do, I'll take a screwdriver and grab the bilge pump.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 10:22:01 am »
 :thumbsup:

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 10:47:26 am »
new pump nearing completion - just need to cut a couple of discs out of stainless for the "plunger" and glue it all together.

My main concern is how its going to sit in the sump, I think we may have to strap it to the wall, but that shouldn't too hard to achieve once the sumps drained and we can work without being waist deep in water!

Offline tdobson

• Tim Dobson
  • regular
  • The Caving Crew
    • Bad Caving Tips
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 12:49:08 pm »
new pump nearing completion - just need to cut a couple of discs out of stainless for the "plunger" and glue it all together.

My main concern is how its going to sit in the sump, I think we may have to strap it to the wall, but that shouldn't too hard to achieve once the sumps drained and we can work without being waist deep in water!

Yep - once it's easily drainable, it should be relatively straightforward to mount it up like that.

Offline tdobson

• Tim Dobson
  • regular
  • The Caving Crew
    • Bad Caving Tips
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2020, 01:24:27 am »
Not sure if I'll make it to SVS (it may, or may not, be quite a gentle trip), but in case I do, I'll take a screwdriver and grab the bilge pump.

It would have gone, but we did a trip to Boss Aven instead. I'll get down there before long for the bilge pump.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search