Author Topic: Rule of Six  (Read 3189 times)

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
Re: Rule of Six
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2020, 08:01:40 pm »
& we are still getting new member requests...

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 08:39:11 pm »
(By the way, pwhole, I have a crap pension and work part-time to eke it out.  :))

I understand - I know it's not everyone has had the benefits of the pension revolution, and many are struggling - or just getting by at best. But many are doing pretty well out of it too, especially if you're able to still work part-time in the job you used to do, but now as a freelance consultant, for even more per hour. I suspect that it may be the only generation that does benefit in that way.

Channel 4 News had two interesting pieces on tonight - one about young people being unable to find employment, and another about young people needing to go to raves - or less pointedly, needing to have a good time. It was quite frightening, given the emphasis on further education as the best way toward a 'good job' (and building the necessary debt required to do it) and then finding that there are very few new jobs available at the moment for anyone of that age group, degree or not. And then the further restrictions of not being able to meet up properly and have fun due to the virus. It did infer quite a bleak future ahead for them - and for everyone, if that's replicated across the world. Obviously we could try change the way society is run to adapt to these new circumstances - but even that recent Russian meteorite didn't seem to shake folks up enough to really get cracking.

Offline crickleymal

• forum hero
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 10:06:19 pm »
If I get to 75 that'll do.

Hmmm, well, I dare say that that was said written with tongue in cheek, nevertheless, I wouldn't be too sure of that, crickleymal! I'll be 74 in the near future, but still enjoy going caving, walking in the hills, getting out on my bike (three [admittedlyshort] outings so far this week). Although I do try to take care of my health, I acknowledge that there is a big dollop of luck in being able to continue like this. (By the way, pwhole, I have a crap pension and work part-time to eke it out.  :))

Not particularly tongue in cheek. As I said seeing the way my dad is and apparently his sister too I'm not sure I want to last that long. I already have occasional problems remembering words and I'm 57.
Malc
Rusted and ropy, dog-eared old copy.
Vintage and classic or just plain Jurassic:
all words to describe me.

Online Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2020, 11:47:21 pm »
& we are still getting new member requests...

So are we!

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2020, 09:33:06 am »
Yup went caving yesterday with my mate joint ages 146. What has age got to do with anything? Yes luck and looking after yourself but also you have to embrace life, live it, and do stuff. Dangling partway down a 50m cliff face does make one wonder though. Pensions are a very difficult area. We were robbed when company pension calculations were changed from best of last three years salary to career average. I saw the issue aged 22 by adding more contributions. I actually overfunded my scheme by the time I retired at 50. ( Yes 50 ! ). Sad thing is very few people now save for their " old age ". Demographic trends are scary. The government scheme will collapse at some point in the future. So well off-topic and back to rule of six. The storm clouds are gathering. We might see rule of six as a happy temporary concession rather than a restrictive regime. You've got it now so get out and make good use of it.

• forum hero
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2020, 09:37:01 am »
Lets have a photo. Not nearly enough on here.

Old people gone caving yesterday. Just the two so room for four more.

P9180081 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2020, 10:36:36 am »
Where were you 'Dangling partway down a 50m cliff face'?

• forum hero
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2020, 11:42:23 am »
Snare Hole. FCQ

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2020, 02:42:06 pm »
Thank you.

Offline JoshW

• obsessive maniac
  • YSS, BCA Youth and Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 09:18:38 pm »
Yup went caving yesterday with my mate joint ages 146. What has age got to do with anything? Yes luck and looking after yourself but also you have to embrace life, live it, and do stuff. Dangling partway down a 50m cliff face does make one wonder though. Pensions are a very difficult area. We were robbed when company pension calculations were changed from best of last three years salary to career average. I saw the issue aged 22 by adding more contributions. I actually overfunded my scheme by the time I retired at 50. ( Yes 50 ! ). Sad thing is very few people now save for their " old age ". Demographic trends are scary. The government scheme will collapse at some point in the future. So well off-topic and back to rule of six. The storm clouds are gathering. We might see rule of six as a happy temporary concession rather than a restrictive regime. You've got it now so get out and make good use of it.

Think yourself lucky you’ve even got a DB pension, nothing like that for us. Most young people struggle to contribute too much to their pensions as money is so tight, but potentially there is a lack of understanding of the value of company pension schemes(hello tax breaks!)

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2020, 10:12:50 am »
An article on the BBC said about the 50,000 cases that:  'Sir Patrick did point out the 50,000 figure was not a prediction. But it was used in the knowledge it would grab the headlines.'     https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54255635   One could therefore consider that it is made up to deliberately scare people.
Part of the problem is this, and the previous actions and of people like Cummings and Fergusson, frequent U-turns and inconsistent policies means that people are becoming fatigued with the whole thing. 

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2020, 10:59:33 am »
Herding cats is easy compared to humans (unless you have a big stick)...

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2020, 01:47:50 pm »
In many cases large portions of the public have no-one but themselves to blame if they get infected now. I'm sick and tired of watching the supermarket across the road from me encourage their customers to not wear masks, despite the signs, when other shops are doing just fine refusing people access without them. I've had to stop using the place - part 'protest', part common-sense. In fact someone asked me yesterday where it was and I told them not to go. I despise this government, but most of the general 'rules' are quite easy to follow and hardly a massive imposition in terms of behaviour. And shops like this just need closing down they're so anti-social.

I don't have children or elderly relatives needing care (yet), so I'm probably less impacted than most people in terms of my behaviour, though it is damn boring having such a restricted social life - but many opposed to this appear to have a philosophical issue with the idea of trying to protect other people through (minimal and temporary) personal behavioural changes, which seems rather selfish - and rather sad.

On the upside, NASA have just announced that they're going back to the Moon in 2024. About time. Maybe that will get shit moving again:

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2020, 02:04:52 pm »
In my opinion it'd improve the nationwide discussion on Covid if people did their 'research' on Google Scholar rather than Facebook.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2020, 02:29:26 pm »
But you can't disagree with Google scholar...

Offline bagpuss

• forum star
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2020, 06:12:30 pm »
... so that's the death knell for caving clubs, I guess.

Why the death knell? Doing trips in groups of less that 6 is generally better as easier to move through the cave, less getting cold on wet pitches etc. Clubs could make up 'bubbles' of 6 and arrange different trips for usual caving night? Our club pre covid was lucky to get 6 plus on a trip anyway, although understood it's prob different for uni clubs. Personally right now if anyone is caving I think better to keep to less than 6 as you can at least attempt some form of social distancing. Maybe I'm overly cautious, I've still not been caving since March, but I think for now if the sport is going to keep going it requires just a bit of careful planning over trips.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search