Author Topic: One really important question remains unanswered  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Duck ditch

• stalker
Re: One really important question remains unanswered
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 01:54:59 pm »
The democrats are pretty much like our Conservative party.  The republicans are far more right wing than we have seen in the uk. So I’m not expecting much. But it’s a big big relief.

Rejoining the Paris agreement is a good start.  Stopping carving up national parks and areas of natural beauty for short term profit is another. Also not giving air time to utter nonsense like wind gives you cancer or the coronavirus a hoax.
It’s not easy to just go caving on spec in America

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 02:05:29 pm »
Reagan was the oldest previous incumbent at 77 when he finished, he was also the oldest inaugurated (69), until Trump (70). Jimmy Carter is still going at 96 (the longest lived of any, & he finished 39 years ago).

Offline Laurie

• forum hero
  • ...and then there was one.
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2020, 02:31:26 pm »
But (looking on the bright side) the most likely outcome is that Joe's old age finally catches up with him and, hey presto, the US of A gets its first female, black president!

At 78 his remaining life expectancy is around 10 years. So the most likely outcome is that he'll live long enough to see out two terms. He's only 4 years older  than the previous incumbency, and around 15 years younger than David Attenborough.
He's on a par with Ronny Reagan.
MNRC

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 02:40:07 pm »
At least Ronnie Reagan could tell a good joke or two.

Offline Fjell

• stalker
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2020, 03:18:00 pm »
I have seen a picture of Biden dancing with my sister earlier this year. He seemed fairly perky and engaged to me. Probably good for a while longer.

Offline al

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2020, 04:00:11 pm »
At least Ronnie Reagan could tell a good joke or two.

Lousy taste in dance partners though ...
Old ... but not old enough to know any better

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2020, 04:16:17 pm »
Not sure you've considered other options available at the time - end of Politics & Wars section has listings of notable world leaders:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • BPC, SUSS
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2020, 04:20:16 pm »

If you think the UK is corrupt you have little experience of the world.

Using positions of power to bung money to your mates is corrupt. Unless you're willing to accept some corruption as long as it isn't relatively bad? I expect a high standard of our politicians and so should you.
(although perhaps you've proved my earlier point - perhaps trumps behaviour has made other places look relatively acceptable!)

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2020, 04:25:55 pm »
& pretty much everyone has been doing it since time immemorial - just that some recipients have more of a conscience about providing value for money!

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2020, 04:30:43 pm »
The democrats are pretty much like our Conservative party.  The republicans are far more right wing than we have seen in the uk....
https://www.livescience.com/amp/34241-democratic-republican-parties-switch-platforms.html

Online Robert Scott

• forum star
  • A Yorkshireman with a Scottish father
    • http://www.hughendon.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2020, 06:37:38 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

I couldn't find Belize in this list. Is that significant?  :o

Offline Fjell

• stalker
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2020, 08:00:26 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

I couldn't find Belize in this list. Is that significant?  :o

I think they got ranked below Nigeria about a decade ago and sulked off.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2020, 08:33:49 pm »
It seems pretty dodgy to me that the Murdoch family are in a position where they can tell the US President, who up until now they've slavishly promoted, facilitated and 'normalised', mainly for their own commercial benefit, that his position is suddenly untenable and he needs to quit. Of course, their 'position' in the pecking order, quite logically, must be higher than his - and definitely Biden's. Given the US President is meant to be 'the most powerful man in the world', that means Rupert Murdoch must be the most powerful man in the Universe. What a thought. Still, they'll be injecting him with formaldehyde to keep him upright soon:

https://theintercept.com/2020/11/06/fox-news-election-trump-murdoch/

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2020, 08:43:49 pm »
Small fry at $17 billion, but civil war wouldn't be good for their profit margin:
https://www.theweek.co.uk/people/57553/top-billionaires-who-richest-person-world

Offline A_Northerner

• menacing presence
  • SUSS 'til you die (Also BPC + CDG)
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2020, 11:12:28 am »

Using positions of power to bung money to your mates is corrupt. Unless you're willing to accept some corruption as long as it isn't relatively bad? I expect a high standard of our politicians and so should you.
(although perhaps you've proved my earlier point - perhaps trumps behaviour has made other places look relatively acceptable!)

Also if you rank that list by trajectory you'll see that the UK is amongst the highest in terms of increase in corruption...
Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from hill to plain.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2020, 12:48:02 pm »
It is an index of PERCEIVED corruption, partly based on surveys of the general public, rather than an absolute comparison, so trying to use it to monitor trends is questionable. I'd suggest the incompetence of those in charge was a greater factor than any actual increase in corruption.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2020, 01:28:58 pm »
I suspect that it will also become more and more difficult to actually do real corruption in countries like ours, particularly as London property acquisition becomes more problematic and transactions become more digital. I hope that gradually society will realise that things will work far better if all that stored wealth is released back into the system and actually spent, rather than hoarded. After all, beyond going on holiday a lot, being fabulously wealthy isn't that much more exciting than being not wealthy at all. And it may even be less exciting in the long run, especially if you have to stay on holiday...

Offline Speleofish

• player
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2020, 04:28:01 pm »
Thinking Aloud, Radio 4 is covering corruption right now

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2020, 11:00:02 pm »
How bizarre. At least if Domingo Cummingo goes as well, he can spend his time shooting pheasants on his father in law's estate at Chillingham Castle.

Speaking of which, his father in law, Sir Humphrey Wakefield is allegeded by the Daily Mail (steady!) to be a director of Admiral Public Relations, a firm hired by Kate Bingham - ('vaccine czar' apparantly), as consultants to the tune of £670,000.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2020, 12:35:30 am »
Hilariously Peston tonight covered the story - ironically a couple of years ago Allegra Stratton would have presented the feature on the show - except she's now the subject of the feature, about her getting the new press job at No. 10, and triggering Lee Cain's resignation. Flipping to Newsnight, Kirsty Wark was then heard discussing her former Newsnight colleague, Allegra Stratton, with Polly Toynbee, former colleague at The Guardian of Allegra Stratton.

It's a rum do all right, but I'm sure it'll all be fixed by the morning. In fact, one good idea would be for Kayleigh McEnany and Allegra Stratton to swap jobs immediately, and see if a 'new approach' works at both ends. We could do with livening it up a bit.

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2020, 01:21:48 am »
At least Cummings is just a clever strategist and is not part of the 'establishment' or 'vested interest'.

Offline Fjell

• stalker
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2020, 09:58:30 am »
Hilariously Peston tonight covered the story - ironically a couple of years ago Allegra Stratton would have presented the feature on the show - except she's now the subject of the feature, about her getting the new press job at No. 10, and triggering Lee Cain's resignation. Flipping to Newsnight, Kirsty Wark was then heard discussing her former Newsnight colleague, Allegra Stratton, with Polly Toynbee, former colleague at The Guardian of Allegra Stratton.

It's a rum do all right, but I'm sure it'll all be fixed by the morning. In fact, one good idea would be for Kayleigh McEnany and Allegra Stratton to swap jobs immediately, and see if a 'new approach' works at both ends. We could do with livening it up a bit.

Allegra “plucked from obscurity” Stratton is married to James Forsyth - who was Sunaks best man at his wedding and is his kids godfather. Them being at Winchester together.

It’s the British way. Is there an actor today in their 20’s you see whose parents weren’t in the business? I find it hilarious that the BBC has father and daughter in a major series in lead roles (His Dark Materials).

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2020, 10:18:44 am »
The whole shitshow is one big glob of upper-middle-class privilege. None of them are especially talented, just loaded and well-connected. It was always thus. Apparently that very important government employee Carrie Symonds also objected to Lee Cain's promotion. Erm - right. Given her judgement must be called into serious question by her willingness to mix her DNA with one of the most revolting adult males on the planet, one wonders why they're so keen to mention this small but rather important detail.

Of course if this doesn't work out Allegra could always do one of the holiday-doc series where she walks around a Greek island telling us why olives are so important. "Next week, I find out why paragliding with wine could be the holiday pastime of the decade!"

And we still haven't heard from Ivanka...

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search