Author Topic: Your Club's Website  (Read 25769 times)

Offline ogofmole

• menacing presence
Re: Your Club's Website
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »
As webmaster of the Hereford Caving Club Website, please feel free to comment good or bad on our website as it is due a total upgrade as it was last revamped in 2006. Although it is updated regular with trip reports and photos. But as with most club websites the main part is behind password.

http://www.herefordcavingclub.org.uk

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 09:43:24 pm »
Do The Toby
have a website?

Do what I did. Put "Toby Caving Club" into Google and get a result that way.

Offline whitelackington

• forum hero
  • Pyrenees Potholer Digger
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 09:54:53 pm »
Do The Toby
have a website?

Do what I did. Put "Toby Caving Club" into Google and get a result that way.

I just did that,
my, that is a deeply unimpresive webpage!!!

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 09:58:40 pm »
As webmaster of the Hereford Caving Club Website, please feel free to comment good or bad on our website as it is due a total upgrade as it was last revamped in 2006. Although it is updated regular with trip reports and photos. But as with most club websites the main part is behind password.

I'd be more than happy to do this. However, I won't be online a great deal in the next week and a bit. As nobody else seems to be the slightest bit interested in making helpful comments, you may have to wait till then. Unless those too busy p1ssing around in this topic do something a bit more constructive, of course. I'll have a quick look see, but I should be getting on with something else at the moment.

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 10:13:12 pm »
First impression - clear, and functional. I like the downloadable information pack for potential new members. Unfortunately, it said the file was damaged and I couldn't read it, but the idea is good and something we haven't got. We put together an information pack for new members after they have joined. I liked the 1960 Agen Allwedd survey! It would be a shame if the new site didn't follow a similar pattern to the one I browsed. Maybe I like blues. It just occurred to me that anyone visiting this topic in a year's time will probably be linking to renewed or updated websites, and these comments on websites won't make any sense!

The 'about us' being on the home page i.e. up front rather than tucked away is something I have been discussing in our club forum today. Not saying if it's good or bad, but it definitely should be easy to find for first time visitors.

I have the Cheltenham Stone book. Excellent! I'm even mentioned once or twice in it which was a pleasant surprise.  :smartass:

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2008, 10:37:20 pm »
OK -  a quick look, and based on Peter's original question of what does this web site tell me about the club.

A small club (you say that, and the fact that there aren't a huge no. of trip reports and pics suggests the same). Strong emphasis on safety, and looking after novices. I'd be definitely attracted as a beginner in caving. I'd feel that I'd be well looked after, and not thrown in at a level I couldn't handle.

There seems to be a lot of people in the club who are interested in caving to look at and enjoy the caves as opposed to the physical challenge/pitting themselves against the environment type of caver - this is the tone of Julia's introduction and also the general tenor of the trip reports. I feel you are not setting out to be a club for 'hard men' only, or for advanced cavers or for cavers for whom no trip is good unless they've well and truly scared themselves at least once.

I get the impression of a  quietly competent and caring club.

And I like the fact that you are sharing survey info with the wider caving community, not keeping them for members only.

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2008, 10:50:53 pm »
You're better at this than I am, Kay.  :-[ You'd better take over while I am away. I might pop in from time to time if I get the opportunity.

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 07:37:30 am »
But as with most club websites the main part is behind password.

The only things behind passwords on ours are admin functions.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline Broken Chris

• regular
  • WSG
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 08:40:17 am »
www.wsg.org.uk

"Far more up to date than their Mendip hut, thankfully."

Errrr, what Mendip hut? Would that be the recently improved one in Hirwaun, Wales with brand new hot water boiler and stove and all for a bargain price of just £3.50 a night??

:)

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 08:46:54 am »

A nice site that's easy to navigate around and has some good information for beginners. Site is clean and easy on the eye. I spent a good 5 minutes looking around and it kept my interest. Club come across as a friendly bunch who are happy to spend time bringing on novices; it's great that you manage to get that across on your site. Good use of .pdfs for information and pics. Like the fact that you can buy a CD of surveys, books etc. from you although I guess there's not many get sold.

If I'm being picky...

The blue and yellow scheme is an 'interesting' choice for a caving website. I think the colour scheme does affect how you feel about the organisation although not sure why. Some of the flowery language on the about caving page isn't my cup of tea but I'm not particularly normal and not a novice either so don't necesarily take any notice of me. The pictures on the trip reports page are a bit small; you've probably got space on the page for them to be bigger than that and as more people get broadband download size shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Yours constructively,

Jules.

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 08:48:56 am »
I suppose having commented on the HCC's site I should offer www.eldon.org.uk.

Any constructive criticism gratefully received; we're pretty thick-skinned!

Jules.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2008, 08:54:41 am »
www.wsg.org.uk

Errrr, what Mendip hut? Would that be the recently improved one in Hirwaun, Wales with brand new hot water boiler and stove and all for a bargain price of just £3.50 a night??

Beg your pardon, Broken Chris! - I was under the impression that the dilapidated flakey green garden shed parked in the field nearby Eastwater Cavern had a stained glass window advertising it as belonging to the WSG. Maybe my memory's shite on this point though.

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:16 am »
www.wsg.org.uk

Beg your pardon, Broken Chris! - I was under the impression that the dilapidated flakey green garden shed parked in the field nearby Eastwater Cavern had a stained glass window advertising it as belonging to the WSG. Maybe my memory's shite on this point though.

ESCC.

theFerret

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2008, 10:12:59 am »
How about a look at the YSS website? www.yssuk.com it has recently been updated and still has things ongoing but for a club member in his spare time i think he has done a damn good job, lots of news updated regularly, archives, newsletters, the photo galery was lost in the re-vamp but is being restored. Please dont be too critical as i say this is in the mans spare time. :thumbsup:

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2008, 10:58:46 am »
Looking at appearance and not content...

I had a look at the way the Eldon, YSS and Hereford sites behave with wide screens. To me, the way the Hereford site readjusts to occupy the full width of the screen is nicer than the fixed area approach of the YSS and Eldon sites. Of the YSS and Eldon sites, I prefer the YSS one as being centrally justified as opposed to the Eldon which is left justified. The left justify approach, to me at least gives the perception that more screen is 'wasted'.

Robin

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2008, 11:20:38 am »
The left justify approach, to me at least gives the perception that more screen is 'wasted'.
Robin

You're right. I'm not entirely sure that the Eldon site has always been left-justified. Some wierdness going on there! I've added a couple of <center></center> tags to the homepage and it looks much better now. Will do the rest of it when I get time.

Cheers,
Jules.

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2008, 11:51:26 am »
I'm happy to receive comments about http://mendipcavinggroup.org.uk/

Please dont be too harsh on me! I am self-taught and dont have a lot of time to spend making it perfect.

It is a work-in-progess so I know some sections need more content.

MartinR

Offline mmilner

• Experienced digging / conservation juggling
  • forum hero
  • Outside Handshake Cave, Manifold Valley.
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2008, 09:16:11 pm »
You're quite welcome to comment on ours too if you like:- http://www.darfarpc.org.uk/

Oh, and I'm aware of the fact that the top banner doesn't resize to fit bigger screens, but I don't care really! (It's optimized for a 1024 x 768 screen resolution.)

Cheers, Martin.
(All done with easily installable, free, open-source software.)
Norbert Casteret (Ten Years Under the Earth) and Pierre Chevalier (Subterranean Climbers) were my inspiration to start caving. (And I'm still doing it.) Secretary, Darfar Potholing Club, the Peak District.

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:44 pm »
The left justify approach, to me at least gives the perception that more screen is 'wasted'.
Robin

You're right. I'm not entirely sure that the Eldon site has always been left-justified. Some wierdness going on there! I've added a couple of <center></center> tags to the homepage and it looks much better now. Will do the rest of it when I get time.

Cheers,
Jules.

Jules looked at your Library list, do you need to collect the last few years of UBSS Proceedings? If so try sales@ubs.org.uk

Offline Misty

• player
  • Misty Meg
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2008, 10:00:58 pm »
I'm not sure if this thread should now be called "time to slate your club website"

I like the ISSA one thats cool http://www.issa.org.uk/html/first.htm my favorite and often most forgot

xxx

oops just noticed Rhian had already put this on oh well nothing like a bit of free advertising
Lights are out, and I'm playing with my lamp!

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2008, 08:06:16 am »
Jules looked at your Library list, do you need to collect the last few years of UBSS Proceedings? If so try sales@ubs.org.uk

Hi Graham,

Thanks for that. We might want to get the ones that we don't have. Will drop your sales bloke an email if we decide to complete the collection.

Jules.

Offline Marc

• E.U.S.S. & B.E.C.
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2008, 09:23:20 pm »
Exeter University Speleology Society
http://au.ex.ac.uk/~speleology/
If the logo was updated by someone over 3 then this site would look fab.

Now, now. Let's not mock the Ram.

Tut tut. :-\
E.U.S.S. til i die... Or leave University; whichever first.

darkplaces

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:47 pm »

The pictures dont fit in the tables ?

I dont see the link between the icons on the left and what they link to. Icons are ment to make things easy and quick. I click on a tackle bag, I expect details about tackle bags? If I click on a croll I expect to go to some SRT thing. For the news link maybe a news paper icon and for committee the icon of a group of cavers?

Other then that its clean and uncomplicated.   

Offline Marc

• E.U.S.S. & B.E.C.
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2008, 09:50:18 pm »

The pictures dont fit in the tables ?

I dont see the link between the icons on the left and what they link to. Icons are ment to make things easy and quick. I click on a tackle bag, I expect details about tackle bags? If I click on a croll I expect to go to some SRT thing. For the news link maybe a news paper icon and for committee the icon of a group of cavers?

Other then that its clean and uncomplicated.   

It is very much 'under construction', (as the home page says) and has been for sometime. The Athletic Union has messed out webspace around majorly this year... But the page is getting there.

And i think the icons are fine. They have the title underneath, so just read that; but in truth they are being changed in time when we upload all our club photos.

Although main issues with the page at the moment is the calendar on the right hand side. For most browsers (inc. Firefox) it sometimes doesnt show at all. For others it is cut off and you can only see half.
And the picture sizes; although on my Windows Explorer browser the images are fine. I think Firefox just hates us.
Hmm....
Ah well.

E.U.S.S. til i die... Or leave University; whichever first.

Offline martinr

• forum hero
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2008, 11:28:02 pm »

Now, now. Let's not mock the Ram.

I'd have thought it was meant to be a ewe (pun on ewes/euss) ?