New site feature - photo gallery

bubba

Administrator
This is currently an "experimental" feature... i.e. it works, but isn't finished yet and will probably change as it develops.

You can view the gallery here: http://ukcaving.com/gallery

- Currently there are only a few pics.
- Registered users (if you have a forum login) can upload pics to the gallery.
- Any uploaded pics are subject to approval before being put live (this it to prevent people uploading stupid things)
- If you login to the gallery, this will log you into the forum as well.
- If you login to the forum, this will log you into the gallery as well.
- Any user uploaded pics are subject to approval before being put live (this it to prevent people uploading stupid things)

So, if you've got any nice caving (or caving related) pics, please upload them.

It would be nice if this gallery becomes a quality resource, so please upload high quality, large photos. Anything similar to the existing pics in the Derbyshire section would be the ideal, but I realise that these are very good photos (many thanks to Dave Cowley) so don't feel like you have to match this sort of quality to get your pics shown. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we don't want tiny pics that are hard to see, etc.

Please post any questions and comments here.

Thanks everyone :D

bubba

Administrator
I just uploaded a pic with no problems using the testuser account - is the pic that you're trying to upload over 1024k ?

Could you try it again plz and see if it was just a glitch?

SamT

Can we have a link off the main page to the gallery - how about the picture link at the top (the kibbles one that currently links to the main index. Could photoshop a 'gallery' text over the photo.

bubba

Administrator
Errrr....there is a link to the gallery from the main page!

Or do you mean the main forum page?

SamT

the main forum page, I never see that front page anymore since my short cut is to www.ukbouldering.com/board/index.php and I have autologin. I keep having to come into this thread to the link. Thought it might look quite nice, could change the photo from the kibble one to something else and put some nice effect text.

bubba

Administrator
I don't even see the kibble photo - there's no photo on the default theme so it would have to be something that's consistent across all the themes.

I'll have a think.....

SamT

Ahh - I use subsilver so its just on that. oh well - just a thought. I suppose you'd have to add the link accross all the themes.

bubba

Administrator
Probably a tabbed navigation bar similar to that on the last site I did: http://www.spectura.co.uk

It works well, and is implemented in CSS so will work in nearly all browsers with no javascript, and in old browsers will just display as text.

SamT

click photo gallery at the top of the page.
then click the 'upload photo' tab at the top of the gallery page.

fill in the boxes.

hey presto

bubba

Administrator
Hmmm....sorry about that, but that is damn big for a normal pic.

Why don't you email it over to us? I'll give you the address if you like, I won't post it here or it'll get picked up by the dreaded spambots....

bubba

Administrator
I've just upgraded the gallery software to the latest version so please let me know if anything weird happens.