CT Foot Ascender users/sellers (latest with no catch) , answer my question!

Folks.

I used to have a green right foot pantin, which was great, until it rusted and dissolved.

I bought a CT one a few years ago and really didn't get on with the catch, so gave it to a mate. I see now that CT are doing a catchless one, which seems very much like the old pantin.

I also see that the ?10 ones form China are virtually identical to the old pantin, possibly even out of the same tooling.

I have a new pantin and with the shorter radius on the cam, it's a different animal to put on. You can't accidentally kick it off and then "look at what you are doing, and put the rope in with no hands", The old one was better at this.

Both of the Petzl Models have a 2 stage spring. A stiff "clothes peg spring" is surrounded by a thinner one. This is shaped to give a progressive action. It's very floppy with the rope just in, but as soon as the cam reaches the "rope can come out" point, the second stiffer spring increases resistance. This piece of design makes the petzl item.

The Chinese ones have a single spring and when you go to ascend, it's so stiff, you pick the rope up. Which is irritating.

Apart from locating an old stock green pantin, I wonder, does the new CT one with no catch have a single spring like the rubbish chinese ones, or a two stage spring like the petzl?

I have got a chinese one in bits and a set of springs out of my old pantin sat in my drawer, waiting for reassembly....but it's one of those things I won't do and will moan about it instead.

Can anyone confirm whether the CT is a 2 springer?

mikem

Doesn't help with your question, but useful comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnjuNwtsE8I