2 Way Radios Underground

D

diggerdog adam

Does any one use 2 way radios underground? (the cheapy ones, not the ones that cave resuse use)

I know that you could use a whistle on noisy picth but lets move with the times, also if they work they could have a use with novices on a srt routes etc

If they do this might of prevented the action down Titan!

D

darkplaces

I'v used radios underground, cheap little dixons, 8 channel ones. Pefectly fine for LOS (Line Of Sight) and just out and small and neat and light. Depending on what the ground is like it may go further. I used radios when decending an airshaft to say things like, 'yes the bike is on the floor, yes its untied, yes you can pull the rope up now'....

paul

diggerdog adam said:
Does any one use 2 way radios underground? (the cheapy ones, not the ones that cave resuse use)

Used them on the surface but not underground as they rely a lot on line of sight. I suppose they could be used up and down a deep shaft.

diggerdog adam said:
I know that you could use a whistle on noisy picth but lets move with the times, also if they work they could have a use with novices on a srt routes etc

If they do this might of prevented the action down Titan!

I don't see how a radio could have helped in this case as there were cavers nearby on a ledge by the rebelay.

SamT

I know that robbie shone was using the moterolla ones down titan on photography/surveying trips to great effect.

" could you point the flash a little over to the left towards that flowstone"

gets a little lost over 200 feet and a waterfall.

Used them whilst snowboarding and the waves to bend over hills slightly and round valleys but underground I dont think you'd get round too many corners before you lost reception.

Tell you what though - a whistle dont break when it gets wet or dumped down a 3 foot drop in a tackle bag, and fits neatly round your neck. :wink:

K

Kelvin

We've been experimenting in Shropshire for a number of years using radios underground (mainly old CB's - until they became illegal obviously :police: ). Most work line of site, but if you want to go round a corner then something else has to be used.

We have found if you run a length of twin core wire down the passage/shaft etc.. you only need to hold the radios close to the wire to be able to talk for some distance - it also works for electron ladders and metal work in mines, as long as the stuff doesn't run through water.

As the radios get further apart, you need to take a turn of the wire around the radio aerial to help boost the signal. Technical types will discuss for hours how this works, using words like earth-return loop or something, basically it works. You don't have to physically connect to the wire, so you can walk around near the wire still doing things and others can hear whats going on.

Take a look at http://www.serve.com/scmc/radio.html for a bit more info.

Cheers

L

Lincolnshire poacher

The only radios I've used underground were Motorola ones that had been, erm how do I say this, 'adjusted' :wink: !!. The standerd ones aren't bad either, but line of site works best.