Author Topic: Aberllefenni  (Read 3642 times)

Online RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
Re: Aberllefenni
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 04:55:27 pm »
Good idea ChrisJC!
They should go back to Aberllefenni and repeat the same route but on rollerskates. You should suggest it. That will up the ante.

And to top that they'd need to rollerskate down the side of Twll Mawr holding a heavily sweated 4oz stick of gelignite in each hand after product placing a Red Bull first of course

I will up your rollerskates by a pogo stick.

Offline rjw

• rikj on aditnow
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 09:52:01 pm »
I will up your rollerskates by a pogo stick.

All I will say is - spacehoppers.
rikj on aditnow

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2021, 09:19:55 am »
Frankly they will need either a jetpack or wings if they go in one of the holes near the top - they are 200m deep.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline Cantclimbtom

• stalker
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2021, 12:07:31 pm »
There we have it...
They cycle fast down onto a ramp, freestyle Motocross double backflip into a 200m hole and immediately deploy slider up base jump chute to land at bottom. Wild applause.

But will they have the b*lls to climb down the big ladder?
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2021, 05:10:19 pm »
There we have it...
They cycle fast down onto a ramp, freestyle Motocross double backflip into a 200m hole and immediately deploy slider up base jump chute to land at bottom. Wild applause.

But will they have the b*lls to climb down the big ladder?

Yes it is big when you light it all up
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2021, 06:09:51 pm »
That big ladder is interesting. Ladders on a slight inclination are different completely to a vertical one. And the longest length here I would say is a good 60 feet and vertical. A tackle bag on your back tends to pull you outwards, I have the presence of mind to hang mine from a sling on the front of my belt, I find it makes a big difference.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2021, 11:38:46 am »
That big ladder is interesting. Ladders on a slight inclination are different completely to a vertical one. And the longest length here I would say is a good 60 feet and vertical. A tackle bag on your back tends to pull you outwards, I have the presence of mind to hang mine from a sling on the front of my belt, I find it makes a big difference.

We lower ours down on the rope thats in situ if its still there ?

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2021, 08:26:31 pm »
Roy can you upload photos on here ? I have a nice shot showing the whole of that ladder and chamber lit up or a very nice video but will that upset people ??   :-\

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2021, 05:20:24 pm »

Living life on the edge is all well and good.. till you fall off......

Offline Cantclimbtom

• stalker
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2021, 06:06:19 pm »
... a very nice video but will that upset people ??   :-\
Please upset us!

Offline sinker

• stalker
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2021, 06:23:11 pm »

Living life on the edge is all well and good.. till you fall off......

Rescued by the tax-payer, fixed up by the tax-payer; I assume some of his Red Bull sponsorship went as a donation?!
Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline Cantclimbtom

• stalker
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2021, 07:04:10 pm »
Suppose you twist your ankle in a mine, someone will say... Why did he go in that mine, isn't it dangerous, they should all be boarded up, etc, local hospital, my taxes, cost this and that, if only he'd just stayed at home, etc , etc. I even hear the same about steep hill walking from some people. ( for example my my mother in law considers grade 1 scrambling as unforgivably dangerous and selfish as it risks the lives of others who "inevitably" will have to rescue them),

I'm happier for someone to take a tiny fraction of my taxes doing something active and inspiring (even if stupidly foolhardy!!), than people who take a fraction of my taxes by years of neglecting themselves.

Not sure if I can go as far as defending the stupidity, but oddly I'm not comfortable that it should be criticised. I think we're all richer for having people as daft as him (although no I wouldn't encourage my kids to do that). Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm looking at that ridge, really think I recognise it but can't name it, kicking myself.. Where is it?

Offline sn

• regular
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2021, 08:39:21 pm »
It's a ridge above the minor road which climbs up to Bwlch Y Groes, just east of the Arans. On the OS map it's called Wenallt, or Tap Nyth yr Eryr.

Scary video !

Offline sinker

• stalker
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2021, 08:40:57 pm »
Suppose you twist your ankle in a mine, someone will say... Why did he go in that mine, isn't it dangerous, they should all be boarded up, etc, local hospital, my taxes, cost this and that, if only he'd just stayed at home, etc , etc. I even hear the same about steep hill walking from some people. ( for example my my mother in law considers grade 1 scrambling as unforgivably dangerous and selfish as it risks the lives of others who "inevitably" will have to rescue them),

I'm happier for someone to take a tiny fraction of my taxes doing something active and inspiring (even if stupidly foolhardy!!), than people who take a fraction of my taxes by years of neglecting themselves.

Not sure if I can go as far as defending the stupidity, but oddly I'm not comfortable that it should be criticised. I think we're all richer for having people as daft as him (although no I wouldn't encourage my kids to do that). Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm looking at that ridge, really think I recognise it but can't name it, kicking myself.. Where is it?

My point was that with all his sponsorship and money raising hype, he could afford to pay towards the costs, in the same way that you and I can to a greater or lesser extent. When I go falling over on a hill or crashing my car It's a consequence of doing something work or for relaxation.
When you are doing something extreme for sponsorship, likes or for social media exposure then there should be a balance.
He may well have made a donation, if so great but I just guessed by the way he made a point of thanking everyone that he hadn't.
I wouldn't advocate leaving him there dying, health care free at the point of delivery and all that.  :)

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2021, 10:58:21 pm »
In the event of an incident/accident of any nature you are not at liberty to make judgement calls about the whys/wherefores or wisdom of the circumstances leading to it.

If you were allowed to do so then pretty nearly every cave rescue would be a dire condemnation of the entire endeavour of all of us.

Offline sinker

• stalker
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2021, 08:26:56 am »
In the event of an incident/accident of any nature you are not at liberty to make judgement calls about the whys/wherefores or wisdom of the circumstances leading to it.

If you were allowed to do so then pretty nearly every cave rescue would be a dire condemnation of the entire endeavour of all of us.

No one is listening to me here.....

The guy is sponsored.
Its a commercial endeavour.
He's raking it in (I assume), pushing the boundaries, then he wipes out and costs the tax payer £100k.

I don't begrudge him his airlift or his medical expenses; I would happily let the taxpayer pay a million pounds to get him walking again. We are human beings. We are compassionate. It's what we do.

My point is that anything involving Red Bull is well funded, or should be, and they should contribute.

Maybe they have!

I would LOVE IT if someone came on here and said that he had donated a grand to the ward at Stoke where he was treated.

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2021, 09:01:14 am »
The real issue here is where do you draw the line between a genuine accident, e.g. in the kitchen, and a paid-up wazzock on a mountain bike trying to kill himself for likes / subs.

Any accident should be paid for by the NHS, but morally, the wazzock on the mountain bike and his sponsors should be thinking hard about a hefty contribution.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2021, 09:06:24 am »
I knew full well before I posted that this is exactly the argument that would ensue.   ::)

It wouldn't surprise me one jot if the Athertons have donated heavily to the local mountain rescue team, hospital ward etc. But then that's a private matter for them, and shouldn't be publisised as it would set a precedent and an expectation level.

But ask yourself this, would Gee, Dan and Rachel be out there doing this, even if they weren't sponsored by Red Bull.   Look back over their history, as riders, what they've done, created, organised, set up etc.  I think you'll find they've been out there doing it, even before the sponsorship deals appeared on the horizon.

Just ask yourself how much tax payers money is spent on policing football matches, every weekend, in practically every town and city across the land.  The helicopters, the riot vans, the horses etc etc.

Online Tomferry

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2021, 09:21:08 am »
The true answer is .

Money is the route of all evil  :coffee:

Offline Cantclimbtom

• stalker
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2021, 09:31:25 am »
... trying to kill himself for likes / subs...
reading that and Sinker's commercial endeavour comments, fair point!

Offline sinker

• stalker
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2021, 09:33:19 am »
The real issue here is where do you draw the line between a genuine accident, e.g. in the kitchen, and a paid-up wazzock on a mountain bike trying to kill himself for likes / subs.

Any accident should be paid for by the NHS, but morally, the wazzock on the mountain bike and his sponsors should be thinking hard about a hefty contribution.

Chris.

Finally....someone gets it!

Offline moorebooks

• forum star
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2021, 11:09:50 am »

Just ask yourself how much tax payers money is spent on policing football matches, every weekend, in practically every town and city across the land.  The helicopters, the riot vans, the horses etc etc.

I think you will find the Clubs have to pay for policing matches nowadays

mike

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2021, 11:17:10 am »

I think you will find the Clubs have to pay for policing matches nowadays

mike

Or not - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45837613

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2021, 06:18:37 pm »
Another thing is guys most accidents are peoples stupidity   :chair:

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2021, 10:54:25 pm »
The true answer is .

Money is the route of all evil  :coffee:

That's a common misquote. It's the love of money, 1 Timothy 6:10 refers.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal