slb?

hrock

so what is SLB cos from what was said in "plugs and fethers" it sounds like a god send.

no expo lisanse neaded
not got the hassle of storage problems.

but what is it.

i cant fined any refrance to it other than here. is slb a slang caving name like hilti caps aren't called that out side caving.

SamT

From what Ive heard its a low explosive - You do need a licence - but just not a full bang licence - i.e. its easier to obtain. Im sure there is probably some stipulation about how and where its stored too.

Other than that, I too, cannot find out much about it.

bubba

Administrator
Even google couldn't find this - got there through Hotbot in the end:

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/arb/eug/slb.html

The document is quite old but states the following, but of course this may have changed.

"Up to 5kg of SLB can be purchased and stored without the need for a police license. In order to protect this status, Nonex Ltd who supply the powder to the Group have requested that all persons being supplied with the substance go through a formal training procedure to ensure they are competent to use SLB.

The training procedure is very simple and takes about half an hour for each trainee. Trainees are given a handbook on the properties and use of SLB and a chance to fire a sample charge. A charge of 10.00 is made for this, which includes a years membership of the Group. "

SamT

Recent tests indicate that 10g of SLB is sufficient to reduce a 0.25m3 boulder to about six pieces.

Not exactly enola gay.

I reckon thats about the same as caps!!!

Rhys

hrock said:
so what is SLB cos from what was said in "plugs and fethers" it sounds like a god send.

SLB (SoundLess Breaker) was meant to be the answer for digging and getting around licences a few years back. Then capping came along and really took off. SLB never really went big in the same way. As I understand it, the process of setting a charge is a real faff, stemming holes with the ingredients and tamping it all down and stuff. Then you need to use a special igniter.

However, prepackaged SLB type stuff is now available that is easier to use. You stick the cartridge in a hole and run a current through the wires that are sticking out. Cavers have been calling these "snappers". I'm not sure who is supplying cavers but there's some info on this type of thing here:

http://www.nonex.co.uk/non_explosive.html

Rhys

SamT

Well - yeah - but - well - you know what I was getting at and I couldnt think of any other reference to a huge bomb.

bubba

Administrator
Damn right :D

Apparantly, a 150g cartridge of PBC can do this:

africa_boulder.gif

Boulderers everywhere have heart attacks

M

Mole

Drilling a 32mm hole needs a rockdrill,unfortunately that's something that's not easy to lug around caves,plus you need the compressor and hoses etc.

Iv'e been toying with the idea of using "Jetex" pellets as a gas generator.
You'd need to drill a 12mm hole and have to make up an electric fusehead to ignite the pellets.

As with SLB,you'd need very good stemming in the hole.

Not sure whether it would contravene the HSE ex regs though.

hrock

thank for that lot it keeps me thinking.

the pcb charges sound beter asuming they come a little small then 150g although that could be fun. :fart: (gas generation hay)

bubba

Administrator
Ah! but "Fat Man" wasn't dropped by Enola Gay - it was dropped over Nagasaki by B29 #77 aka Bockscar

My google-fu is strong :p

Bit worrying that a topic about SLB steers round to nukes innit?

Brendan

:oops:
I have brought dishonour on myself

All hail the google-fu of Bubba

Nukes do have the advantage of evaporating the rock, and sending other bits into orbit - ie less to drag out :D

T

Titch98

Might be a bit of a problem getting the old licence for a nuke though!

"Excuse me officer, but I am applying for my explosives licence and......!

:shock:

Hee,hee - might be worth a try just to see their faces (if they don't lock you away first, though......)