PENCILS

A

Ann

:?: Can anyone tell me the best type of pencil for writing on waterproof paper. I know it is a certain type but can't remember which one.

T

twllddu

I'm with Beardy on this one. We've destoyed so many pencils that free is a very good option. If it's not muddy and if you can keep your hands clean you could try a cheap propelling pen with something like 0.7mm HB lead, any finer and the lead will break every 2 mins. If you do use an IKEA special just take something to keep it sharp.

M

MSD

The ones in the stationary cupboard at work are pretty good! They are 0.7 self propelling, with our university logo on the side....nice with a bit of sponsorship!

AndyF

A really good source of waterproof paper is "FedEx" envelopes. They are made of a funny plastic/fabric and are writable and waterproof...

D

Dave H

Ann said:
:?: Can anyone tell me the best type of pencil for writing on waterproof paper. I know it is a certain type but can't remember which one.
You may be thinking of Chinagraph pencils?

Cave_Troll

Chinagraph pencils work best on shiny surfaces, glass, plastic.
not sure how well they'd work on normal waterproof paper

D

Dave H

Waterproof paper used to be shiny! :eek:ldgit:
And even then it had to be very carefully handled when it came into contact with water. There was nothing better than surveying half way down a wet crawl and then rubbing a splash off the page and accidentally taking half the writing with it - NOT!

Some people covered graph paper in clear, sticky backed plastic to use underground, as the little notebooks of it were so expensive.

I'm only talking about 10 years ago, or so.

I've done my surveying exclusively with cheap notebooks and 2B pencils, and then carefully seperated the (numbered) pages before they dry

T

twllddu

If you have an arm and/or leg to spare, I've found this stuff to be good. Suggest arranging for someone else to pay for it.

http://www.riteintherain.com/

The pages do separate even after a good session :)

graham

I have found over the years that the best way to rcord survey data is to get Tony Boycott to do it. This has the additional advantage that he isn't the one reading the instruments. ;)

cap n chris

So does that mean there's something inherently wrong with those data Tony and I collected in the secret place nearby where we're going tomorrow but higher up?

graham

cap 'n chris said:
So does that mean there's something inherently wrong with those data Tony and I collected in the secret place nearby where we're going tomorrow but higher up?

Nope, not really, well, not more than a couple of degrees out.

Pitlamp

Good ex WD stores (such as Anchor Supplies @ Nottingham or Ripley) sometimes sell aviators emergency drysuits. One such type is dark green and has a front of thigh pocket containing a white plastic sheet intended for writing on whilst flying (or maybe if you've been ditched in the sea). If you use an ordinary pencil on these sheets it's extremely hard to rub off - even scouring pads with Vim struggle to remove the writing. Best bet would be to investigate where these plastic sheets come from then obtain a job lot. Or wait till Anchor have a quantity of these suits in and make an offer for the plastic sheets out of each suit.

Ordinary pencils tend to fall apart when used in wet caves - easily solved by wrapping insulation tape around them. It works on pencils used on divers' slates - and you can't get much wetter than that.

Why has nobody posted anything on the "digging" pages since early December? This used to be one of the most interesting parts of the site.

cap n chris

I remember when NASA spent a ?million dollars perfecting a pen which would work in zero gravity for use as part of the USA space programme only for bewildered Russian cosmonauts to later say that they simply used pencils.

D

Dave H

Sorry Chris, but that's one of those urban legends.

Ordinary biro's work in space, and are better than pencils as they don't require sharpening.

Both US and Russian's use biro's and I don't know about China.

Rhys

Those pesky urban legends! www.snopes.com is a good site for getting to the bottom of such things. Here's what they say about the space pen:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp