P8

Stu

The first pitch has a higher variation - "short way back from the pitch head". How far back and what is entailed? Cheers.

SamT

Not too far back from the pitch head 5 m ish - squirm up the crabwalk sytle rift. then move forward - there are some P bolts up there. Just makes the pitch a bit more 'airy' and longer. Seem to remember it being a bit awkward to get up there.

paul

stu said:
The first pitch has a higher variation - "short way back from the pitch head". How far back and what is entailed? Cheers.

Just before the pitch, as you face going towards the pitch, there is an alcove on your right with a hole drilled through the rock used as a belay. Clamber up there and then thrutch a bit upwards until you can make progress horizontaly. There are various 'p' hangers providing alternative hangs.

Cave_Troll

Its a little oxbow. just climb into the oxbox then climb up the rift until you hit the roof. you can also come in from nearer the entrance using the old "climb up, hit the roof and traverse along above the rift" trick

D

Deep-Penetration

In addition, its a fine pitch from up there,
Well worth the effort...

Tim 8)

JB

Sorry this is off topic. Am going down P8 tonight with a novice. Anyone know whether the handline is in place down idots leap at the mo? Ta, jb

paul

mudmonkey said:
Was last time I went down a little while back. I've never known it not be, in fact.

Enjoy!

I have. But then I was told on one of the occasions it was removed due to extreme wear by the person who removed it as it was becoming dangerous, so I was prepared and brought one to use and left it in-situ. On the other occasions we were able to cope without the handline.

Somebody may say "Yes - it was there on Saturday", but it may have been removed on Sunday or today.

If you think you really need to have the handline there, its best to be prepared.

SamT

Yup - if in doubt - take one along. Its not far into the cave so its not like you've got far to carry it.

It wasnt there last time I was there (quite a while ago) but managed ok without.

paul

SamT said:
Yup - if in doubt - take one along. Its not far into the cave so its not like you've got far to carry it.

Why should he carry it? Why not let the novice carry it! :LOL:

JB

Just to report that as of 14th Feb handline is in place at idiot's leap and it's in good condition.