Any mines you've explored in Scotland or Wales, with strong natural airflow?

BradRands

Hi everyone,

I know it sounds like a strange question but as in the title, any caves with a strong strongish - strong natural airflow?

Appreciate any info in here! Thanks all.

tomferry

Good morning .

I am slightly confused as in your title you have said mines but then in your message description you have said caves , I shall answer this with information about ?mines? .

All mines have a slight natural air flow if they have a minimum of two open adits that are connected it causes the air to come in one and pull through depending on how the levels work  , they can have one large adit some times it?s enough to still walk around the hole mine anyway and you can feel the air pressure change on various levels inside of the mine , bryneglwys slate mine on the lefel fawr level has a very strong air flow due to its shaft on the level and the massive water ingress pulling the air  inside and back out .

Rember also atmospheric pressure changes this every minute of every  day also  (y)

Regarding caves I shall not answer because I have no clue at all compared to the other members  :LOL:

I would try to enlarge on your message so people can help you more and explain your interest / research etc I hope this has helped though .

alex17595

The airflow between Rhosydd and Croesor is insane, there's remains of a wall which used to seperate the mines which funnels the airflow. It's literally like standing infront of a fan.

Carbide1

Although not noticeable in the main passages there can be a howling gale, (in or out) at the restriction at the top of the haulage incline at Dinas Silica Mine.

Brains

Cwmorthin Slate Quarry in N Wales is usually quite a draughty mine, with the many links and entrances.
In a sense, mines only have artificial ventilation as they are man made, but most mines explored by people here will have a degree of unforced ventilation. When working most mines will have a forced draught.
Natural caves usually have good ventilation, especially those with an active streamway that can cause a venturi effect. A ggod example would be Valley Entrance, but that is in England

RobinGriffiths

Llanberis Mine. Both east and western lower portals will blow your socks off. The former has an adit, maybe 100m higher up, and the later a dangerous open stope a similar height above.

BradRands

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the confusion with mines in the title / caves on the post, I did mean mines so really appreciate all your inputs!

Cantclimbtom

Brad, if you're looking to explore mines (once  :mad: lockdown ended) and rightly concerned about air quality, then when exploration restarts you should reply here the area your planning to visit and people should be able to advise a good trip you can try that doesn't have air concerns

pwhole

Not in Scotland or Wales, but a draught door had to be installed in Castleton at the base of the Leviathan vein-cavity, connecting James Hall mine (JH) with Speedwell Cavern - the showcave section is about a mile from here but it's all connected, and there's about 200m vertical difference between the bottom and the top, so it can get pretty fierce opening/closing the draught door, depending which way it's blowing. Also I was once at the 'Cow-arse Worms' part-sump at the base of this system when Moose or someone opened the Titan lid on the top of the hill on the other side (they were repairing the shaft), and there was an audible (and very physical) 'whoosh' of cold air began blasting through the small airspace, and all the water started rippling with the force - that was amazing.

Radon is an additional problem for Speedwell, and the showcave blows clean air in, rather than pulling dirty air out. Which probably does mean cavers get more, but hey-ho, we're only paying ?2 to get in instead of ?12 or whatever it is.

We found the remnants of a draught door in Longcliffe Mine when we got into the extensions - clay impressions of two uprights with a lintel, with further liberal amounts of clay smeared into the gaps with fingerprints everywhere:

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Photo/Clay-Remains-Of-A-Draught-Door-With-Miners-Fingerprints_121648/

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Photo/Clay-Remains-Of-A-Draught-Door_121649/

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Photo/Clay-Remains-Of-A-Draught-Door-With-Miners-Fingerprints_121650/

crickleymal

BradRands said:
Thanks everyone, and sorry for the confusion with mines in the title / caves on the post, I did mean mines so really appreciate all your inputs!
As a matter of interest why do you want to know about draughting mines? I know a few in the Forest of Dean.