Author Topic: Confession Time  (Read 1517 times)

Offline ttxela2

• menacing presence
Re: Confession Time
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 11:23:13 am »
I've certainly been in the odd cave, mines definitely have more appeal for me though, I like the industrial archaeology side of it and the thought of the old man working down there all those years ago.

I'm also an incorrigible dawdler and at the risk of applying an unfair sweeping generalisation I've found fellow mine explorers much more willing to accommodate this behaviour - and indeed indulge in it themselves. Whereas cavers tend to adopt a faster no-nonsense pace (in my admittedly limited experience).

Offline Paul Marvin

• obsessive maniac
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2021, 11:44:36 am »
I've certainly been in the odd cave, mines definitely have more appeal for me though, I like the industrial archaeology side of it and the thought of the old man working down there all those years ago.

I'm also an incorrigible dawdler and at the risk of applying an unfair sweeping generalisation I've found fellow mine explorers much more willing to accommodate this behaviour - and indeed indulge in it themselves. Whereas cavers tend to adopt a faster no-nonsense pace (in my admittedly limited experience).

When you say " accommodate this behavior " I presume you mean idle chit chat and banter  ?
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline ttxela2

• menacing presence
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 01:20:56 pm »

When you say " accommodate this behavior " I presume you mean idle chit chat and banter  ?

Not necessarily, more just a slower pace of trip. I'm sure there are plenty of caving folks who enjoy a spot of dawdling too.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2021, 03:22:00 pm »
My (limited) experience of mine-exploration would suggest that mines are, generally speaking, dryer and maybe a bit warmer than caves, hence more conducive to dawdling.

Offline Paul Marvin

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2021, 05:03:32 pm »
My (limited) experience of mine-exploration would suggest that mines are, generally speaking, dryer and maybe a bit warmer than caves, hence more conducive to dawdling.

They are both the same temp and as for dryer, they are on a par end of the day underground is underground

Offline Paul Marvin

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 05:05:23 pm »

Not necessarily, more just a slower pace of trip. I'm sure there are plenty of caving folks who enjoy a spot of dawdling too.

I think its more to do with the character of the individual rather than anything else bro  :lol:

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 08:41:51 pm »
Yep, but the character of the individual determines which of the two they are likely to pursue

Offline Tomferry

• stalker
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 09:02:10 pm »
I am 28 went in my first mine at age 14 we found a plan on the internet showing a old iron mine at location X we didn’t no what to expect being only 14 we biked over many times searching for it not really knowing what we would find , eventually we found it a old bricked up tunnel with a grill over it one could fit through , the next weekend I stole my mums wind up torch and of we went at 7am me and my mate we entered the mine without knowing what we would find we got lost for 8 hours inside arguing and scared how would we ever get out no one knew where we was luckily we did  or I wouldn’t be writing this obviously ! Many many years later I still love mines ! But I have to admit these caves with water rushing through them dragging you around really appeals to me and when it comes to dig projects well I would help anywhere  :dig:

Offline Paul Marvin

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 09:44:44 pm »
Yep, but the character of the individual determines which of the two they are likely to pursue

I think I must be Bi liking both 50/50  :lol: :lol:

Offline Boy Engineer

• addict
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 11:03:52 pm »
but a combination of dating an archaeologist

I thought it was the archaeologists who did all the dating......😂

By the way, you probably know the best way to date an archaeologist is to cut them in half and count the rings.

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 09:01:15 am »

By the way, you probably know the best way to date an archaeologist is to cut them in half and count the rings.

I must be only two then; there's the one on my left hand, and the other...
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline yrammy

• forum star
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2021, 09:09:55 am »
Although no longer active other than show caves and the odd sprottle, I used to go down anything underground. Caves, mines, and oddities. We did trips in Dinorwig (before it got famous), Shirebrook pit, the 'caves' under Nottingham Castle, Cabinet War Rooms, Redundant tube stations,  Army War Hospital on Jersey, and the tunnel under the Thames in London.   

Mary

Offline Paul Marvin

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2021, 11:49:45 am »

I must be only two then; there's the one on my left hand, and the other...

You have one more think about it or maybe not   :lol: :thumbsup:

Offline wormster

• player
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 05:32:17 pm »
OK I'm a slut: I enjoy Quarries, Mines, Caves, Bunkers etc, away from daylight and the herd!!
You die - We split you kit!

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal