Survex .3d to .svx

Subpopulus Hibernia

I've got a few .3d files on my laptop from an old project. I can't find the .svx files and I think they went missing after a hard drive failure a few years back. I still have the survey notes and can re-type the data but is there any way I can open the .3d file as a .svx file? It would save an hour or two of tedium...

Moose

I am happy to be proved wrong but you may be looking at a large amount of tedium on the horizon.

You can always export it as a .dxf file format but it won't get you back to the raw data.

graham

Well, you can certainly generate a .pos file that has the co-ordinates of all the stations in it and IIRC Footleg has an Excel file that'll convert them back to vector legs. Still some work to do to get the legs right but it might save you some time.

Subpopulus Hibernia

graham said:
Well, you can certainly generate a .pos file that has the co-ordinates of all the stations in it and IIRC Footleg has an Excel file that'll convert them back to vector legs. Still some work to do to get the legs right but it might save you some time.

*stares blankly*

Tedium it is them.

Subpopulus Hibernia

Hmmm... interesting that. A bit tecchy for my purposes though. I'd probably have re-entered the data several times over before I'd have extracted anything useful from the files.

Rob

I'm not techy either, but if you're a pockettopo user I strongly recommend you spend the time familiarising yourself with Footlegs converter. It's an extremely useful tool, and surprisingly simple to use once you get your head around it.

Olaf

For all I know you'd end up with two different results anyway. The .3d files contain the 3D positions of all the stations after all loop closure errors have been distributed. I don't think you'd be able to get back the original measurements from that, unless your cave doesn't have any loops. This might not make a difference to you for now, but if another loop is added somewhere, the errors might well get redistributed completely differently with the two versions...

Rhys

Yeah. It totally depends on what you want to do with the result. It's a workaround that may or may not prove helpful depending on what you're trying to do. There's no way of completely recreating the orginal data. Re-typing is best if there's not too much of it!

andrew

Oh I cannot resist ;)

Lost data; why not use the BCA server

http://cave-registry.org.uk/

Okay you might have lost one horse, but loosing it a second time, there is no excuse.

You could go even further and rather than keeping it private on the BCA server, start by uploading the scans of the data, use some open licence if you are lucky you might find that other people help you with the tedium, it would not be the first time.

Andrew

graham

andrew said:
Oh I cannot resist ;)

Lost data; why not use the BCA server

http://cave-registry.org.uk/

Okay you might have lost one horse, but loosing it a second time, there is no excuse.

You could go even further and rather than keeping it private on the BCA server, start by uploading the scans of the data, use some open licence if you are lucky you might find that other people help you with the tedium, it would not be the first time.

Andrew

(y)