Unique way of climbing?

This is an excellent film.  UCVynpws91WA2iMQgg47PotQ

Looking at 35.45 minutes in there is a rather unique way of climbing and  I couldn't see that he was attached to anything if he let go it is rather a long drop.  :eek:

The T?ne Mahuta is over 45 m high.

mikem

He may be being belayed from below, but arboralists do abuse a wide & wacky range of techniques...

Kenilworth

I can't watch the video so am guessing... Are they pulling themselves up by hauling down on one end of the rope while sitting on the other end? When I was little I did this a lot to get into trees I couldn't otherwise climb. I had a lump of lead tied to a string to throw over branches and haul up my main rope, which had a little board seat on one end. I can't remember if dad taught me this method or if I thought of it myself. It's very effective in tall trees since the friction between the rope and a branch is great enough to allow resting with minimal arm effort.

PeteHall

He appeared to be using a 3:1 pulley system, so it would be pretty low effort climbing. I guess the beauty of the system without any ascender or descender is that it would be very easy to adjust position up or down.

The friction in the system, combined with the 3:1 advantage would probably make it very easy to hold a steady position by gripping the live rope between toes as he is doing in the video.

Still a long way to fall if anything goes wrong  :eek:

Roger W

As the late Fred Dibnah used to say, make one mistake there and it's an afternoon out with the undertaker.