• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

High Tor Grotto

braveduck

Now that High Tor Colour Works at Matlock is derelict ,about to be demolished and up for sale,is there any access to High Tor Grotto?
Some where I have always wanted to go.I did ask years ago but was refused!

braveduck

Side Mine appears on a photograph taken by Urban Explores,it has a gate on it.
Wonder if the Urban Explores got permission ,or just went on site?

Pitlamp

Just in case it helps the Peak District Sump Index states that High Tor Grotto has 91 m of passages to a sump. Access to the sump is made difficult by a "spaghetti of old pipes". The underwater passage is quite large (1.8 m x 3.1 m) but it ends at a blank wall after 15 m (presumably a blind heading). If you're accumulating references on this mine the above is logged in CDG Newsletter 53 (page 15).

zippy

Ocassional trips into Side mine used to be permitted courtesy of the colour works which, as has been correctly stated, is now closed.  For a period of time, outflow from one of the colour works processes was vented into side mine, coating the place with a very liberal dose of red oxide (or something similar), which would then stain all your caving kit, and meant you left a significant tell-tale trail of red foot-prints on exiting the mine. 

My understanding is that the current owners (Hights of Abraham IIRC) have spent a lot of money cleaning the site up, and would be none-too-pleased if it were covered in red dye again!

That said (again, IIRC) High tor grotto did not suffer the same fate and is relatively clean...?

Z

owd git

In conversation with an employee of 'The heights' yesterday. No access!!. Police aware, and have already apprehended 3 Scroats on the rob.
Approaching the management of the heights, tho' unlikely to yeald a result, the only legal and safe route.
Furthermore hte dyes on site are as effective as 'smart water'. :LOL:
O. G.