Author Topic: Eldon Quarry Access  (Read 13298 times)

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • Peak Instruction, DCMC, DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO
    • Peak Instruction
Re: Eldon Quarry Access
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 04:56:22 pm »
The box is still there as of 2pm today (3/3/14).
I'd not been up since the new box was installed and made the mistake of walking right up the lane until I could see into the quarry, a mistake I imagine was duplicated by those who did not find it. Once I back-tracked it was easy to find. Box, key and logbook still in place.
Ewan has details of exact location and arrangements and now also has some photos if people really struggle. I won't post the exact location here so I suggest contacting the DCA for details if you are in any doubt.

Pete
DCA Projects Officer

Offline EwanCameron

• obsessive maniac
  • Its about enjoying caving with mates !
    • Evolution Outdoors Ltd
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 08:13:02 pm »
If anyone is visiting Sidetrack PM me if you need photos to help you locate the box & log book. It's important that people use the log book as part of the access agreement so please make every effort to locate it.

Yours
Ewan
DCA Access

P.s thanks Pete for your visit today
Caving anyone ? Always up for a caving trip - Who the f&%k was sick in Eldon Hole ?

Offline skippy

• obsessive maniac
  • CPC
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 08:26:41 am »
Never mind finding the box..it took me ages to work out how to get into it :shrug:

Offline EwanCameron

• obsessive maniac
    • Evolution Outdoors Ltd
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 10:43:33 am »
Lol
Caving anyone ? Always up for a caving trip - Who the f&%k was sick in Eldon Hole ?

Offline Big Jim

• forum star
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 08:20:08 pm »
The signing in book is still unusably soggy. Looks like its been put back into its bag whilst damp and just stayed that way. Pete Mellors is aware and is hoping to take a new book up there in next few weeks.

J

Offline mmilner

• Experienced digging / conservation juggling
  • forum hero
  • Outside Handshake Cave, Manifold Valley.
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 10:32:57 pm »
The signing in book is still unusably soggy. Looks like its been put back into its bag whilst damp and just stayed that way. Pete Mellors is aware and is hoping to take a new book up there in next few weeks.

J

Why not replace it with a water resistant surveying book? Then it wouldn't get soggy! There was someone on here a while ago selling various sizes of these books....

Regards Mel. DCA Conservation Officer.
Norbert Casteret (Ten Years Under the Earth) and Pierre Chevalier (Subterranean Climbers) were my inspiration to start caving. (And I'm still doing it.) Secretary, Darfar Potholing Club, the Peak District.

Offline Anon

• Nobody
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 11:18:09 pm »
It's important that people use the log book as part of the access agreement so please make every effort to locate it.
Just out of interest (never been so obviously never looked into access at this particular site), why is it so important that people use a log book, what is achieved by this task?

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 11:22:43 pm »
It's important that people use the log book as part of the access agreement so please make every effort to locate it.
Just out of interest (never been so obviously never looked into access at this particular site), why is it so important that people use a log book, what is achieved by this task?

I have also wondered that. Surely the traffic that you need to know about is the traffic that will not record itself voluntarily.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline EwanCameron

• obsessive maniac
    • Evolution Outdoors Ltd
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2014, 11:25:04 pm »
It's down to the land owner having issues in the past

Use the log book and keep him happy

Offline Big Jim

• forum star
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »
The DCA have worked hard with the land tenant, the owners (Chatsworth) and Natural England to regain access to the quarry. This is one of the conditions agreed to secure the continued access by cavers to the quarry. Its no great ball ache so why question it if it keeps all parties happy. Simple!

J

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 07:11:00 pm »
No biggy. If it keeps the landowner happy then fine.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline Anon

• Nobody
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 07:27:26 pm »
Its no great ball ache so why question it if it keeps all parties happy. Simple!
Like I said, I've never been and have no knowledge of the access situation. So without spending time searching for an answer I thought I'd ask here, as it seemed like a quick, simple and perfectly reasonable question to ask. I still don't understand what it acheives, but it's what the landowner wants so be it.

Offline mmilner

• Experienced digging / conservation juggling
  • forum hero
  • Outside Handshake Cave, Manifold Valley.
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2014, 08:27:36 pm »
Its no great ball ache so why question it if it keeps all parties happy. Simple!
Like I said, I've never been and have no knowledge of the access situation. So without spending time searching for an answer I thought I'd ask here, as it seemed like a quick, simple and perfectly reasonable question to ask. I still don't understand what it acheives, but it's what the landowner wants so be it.

It achieves the  land tenant and landowner knowledge of who was on their land for valid reasons under an access agreement. Previously he had problems with unauthorised people using the quarry for unauthorised purposes and closed all access. An example of this is the people, (albeit after the quarry was re-opened), who tried to nick the rope that was rigged down to Sidetrack Cave by cavers legitimately using the quarry. I'm sure the would-be  thieves didn't fill in the log book!
Norbert Casteret (Ten Years Under the Earth) and Pierre Chevalier (Subterranean Climbers) were my inspiration to start caving. (And I'm still doing it.) Secretary, Darfar Potholing Club, the Peak District.

Offline EwanCameron

• obsessive maniac
    • Evolution Outdoors Ltd
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 08:59:25 am »
URGENT UPDATE - someone has been and stolen the box & logbook can people give the area a miss until we can get something sorted ASAP

MASIVE thanks for yours support in this matter

Yours
Ewan Cameron
DCA Access

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jenny P

• forum star
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 02:33:47 pm »
There is now an update on this on the other thread re. Eldon Quarry.

I'll not bother to re-post it here.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Secretary

Offline Jenny P

• forum star
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 01:11:12 pm »
Eldon Quarry Access
Persons unknown have recently stolen the lock and chain from the gate into Eldon Quarry.  The farmer is aware and, for the time being the gate is secured by baler twine and he has no problem with cavers entering quarry under the usual conditions: i.e. no cars to be taken into the quarry and fill in the Log Book in the box each time.  The farmer has warned that any vehicles seen in the quarry will be reported to the police so, if you come across anything untoward, please let DCA know by emailing us via the DCA website www.theDCA.org.uk

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Sec.

Offline Jenny P

• forum star
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2015, 05:05:20 pm »
Please note that there will an international group in Eldon Hill Quarry on Friday 26th June as part of a scientific field trip.  An officer from Natural England headquarters will be on the trip and the farmer, Maurice Gregory, has given permission.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Sec.