Author Topic: St Valentines Sump  (Read 14546 times)

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
Re: St Valentines Sump
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2007, 10:32:39 am »
Did you manage to find one of those pipe reducers? High Peak Garden Center?

I'll reply cos it was me that got it! I got one from the High Peak Garden Centre and another from B&Q in Sheffield. The one from HPGC fitted and that's the one that seems to have now disappeared.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2007, 04:30:57 pm »
Was just thinking (could you hear the cogs grinding?), how about if another doofer was made that joined the two hoses together with just one inlet hose, so there was just one hose to prime? Would the pump still be able to prime both syphons simultaneously?

I best get AutoCAD fired up (blows off the dust....).

Ratty.

Sounds Ideal.

I might bosh down Giants next week with a camera. (JB - are you up for a late afternoon trip - perhaps about 3-4 pm. )

Or - I could go in the PM - set the syphons going - then you could have an evening trip (with Chris??) when the sump should be empty - or pretty damn near empty. You could then Re-arrange the hose (so that both hose's reach the dam).

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2007, 02:39:06 am »

Update

Today was meant to be the big one, I had all the bits required for the pump, all the rope for geology and time on my hands. The fig 8 was on.

I had no one to go with so it was to a be a solo venture. I entered the cave at 11am, was at the sump by halfpast.

After a little fiddling with jubilee clips - I had the first hose syphoning well.

I crawled into the sump with the pump, to get the 2nd, shorter, hose going. It was a bit awkward - being on hands and knees, waist deep in cold water - but got the pump on and started pumping. It seemed to be working - i.e. the pump was definatly pushing water up the hose, but it didn't seem to want to start a syphon. After 10 minutes fiddling about - I gave up as my legs were going numb.  >:(
I wonder if the half way joint has sprung apart - and hence I was just pumping water through - but it would not be going over the edge to start a syphon.

I then thought "oh well, I'll at least get the working hose down to the deep bit of the sump, I know, I'll try out the pully system."

This was a bit of a mistake. It got snagged after a short distance so I waded in again after it. Thats when I noticed it wasn't sucking any more. Oh dear.
I've always suspected that 'hoovering' stones might have been a problem. I tried attaching the pump again - but it became apparent that the hose was definately blocked.  :furious:

I'd well and truly spat the dummy out by now. One hose thats not working (for some unknown reason) and one thats blocked - probably at the joint in the middle that is actually at the far side of the sump.

Whats needed now is a trip to the other side - i.e. up the filthy five to check out the joints. Hopefully unblocking hose 1, and checking the joint on hose 2.

I'm getting to the point where I just cant be arsed anymore.  so near - yet so far :wall:

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2007, 07:00:53 am »
I reckon it'd be quicker and easier just to teach you to dive!

(Sorry Sam - just couldn't resist it.)

:o)

BenM

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2007, 09:50:21 am »
My advice – get yourself down the pub, have a pint and a bag of crisps… and the enthusiasm will come flooding back! Always seems to work for me anyway!

I’m up in Derbyshire this Fri aft/Sat and depending on other commitments could be persuaded to nip round to the F5! Preferably not by myself – swimming in the east canal on my own doesn’t sound fun!

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2007, 10:58:42 pm »

I reckon it'd be quicker and easier just to teach you to dive!
(Sorry Sam - just couldn't resist it.)

:lol: - yeah I know.

Its not like I'm just hell bent on getting though once. Its a project I started for the benfit of all really. It would just be nice if folks could turn up and do the fig of 8 without too much hassle. Its akin to the work done at Mud sump in Swildons. Its only there really so that folks can do the round trip.

Its just dragged on a bit too long really. I've been doing some thinking - and I think I'll have to re think the design slightly.

I’m up in Derbyshire this Fri aft/Sat and depending on other commitments could be persuaded to nip round to the F5! Preferably not by myself,  swimming in the east canal on my own doesn’t sound fun!

Cheers for the offer - I'm busy at the weekend. But if you can find a willing partner, it would be a good trip.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) happen to go up the F5. At the top you'll see the two hose's emerging from the sump. Each hose should have a point where two lengths are joined together. Id suggest cutting out those joints with a sharp knife. That way - if any pebbles etc are blocking the joint - they can be cleaned out. Then they need re-fastening - and making sure that a really good seal is made. Then we'd have to go back on another occasion and see if it worked by trying the pump out again.

Then I'll give some thought to a slight redesign.