Author Topic: Welsh Wezzit  (Read 91479 times)

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
    • UCET Caving Club (North Wales)
Re: Welsh Wezzit
« Reply #1125 on: November 02, 2020, 04:14:13 pm »
Graigwen snaffled it at the last minute .... it is Cefn Coch Gold Mine  :thumbsup:

Over to you .....  :chair:
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction.

Offline cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
« Reply #1126 on: November 02, 2020, 07:54:59 pm »
Thought it was a cave wezzit, not a mine wezzit  :chair:.
Sorry sec

Offline Graigwen

• forum star
« Reply #1127 on: November 02, 2020, 11:20:30 pm »
It is 49 years since I was last at Cefn Coch, but I did have an unfair advantage of being employed then as a gold prospector. I even wrote a report on the place - although it only ran to half a page.

I am not sure having photos of obscure Welsh mines on a caving forum is a good idea, to demonstrate this here is a photo that a couple of years ago caused members of a Welsh mining club a lot of identification problems; I believe it may also be Roy Fellows proof. I'll find something more sensible and easy to identify tomorrow morning.

Offline Graigwen

• forum star
« Reply #1128 on: November 03, 2020, 12:23:33 pm »
OK here is a real limestone cave. It is very short but possibly geologically significant - the flow stone is at least 20cm thick.

Offline Graigwen

• forum star
« Reply #1129 on: November 21, 2020, 08:45:29 pm »
Wot? No interest after a couple of weeks? Time for clues.

1  Don't bother about the unguessable mine. It is the upper trial level of Rhiw manganese mine near Aberdaron. (About SH 22167 28360).

2   The cave is in south Wales. It is in the dolomitized limestone of the Lower Clydach Valley Subgroup. Although a fairly recent discovery it is on the Cambrian Cave Registry. Although very short, the thickness of flowstone in it demonstrates that in the past a considerable amount of water has flowed move than 50m above the nearby surface river.

Online mudman

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #1130 on: November 22, 2020, 07:58:59 pm »
Wot? No interest after a couple of weeks? Time for clues.

1  Don't bother about the unguessable mine. It is the upper trial level of Rhiw manganese mine near Aberdaron. (About SH 22167 28360).

2   The cave is in south Wales. It is in the dolomitized limestone of the Lower Clydach Valley Subgroup. Although a fairly recent discovery it is on the Cambrian Cave Registry. Although very short, the thickness of flowstone in it demonstrates that in the past a considerable amount of water has flowed move than 50m above the nearby surface river.

Ah ha. Ogof y Goron?

Offline Graigwen

• forum star
« Reply #1131 on: November 23, 2020, 09:11:44 am »

Ah ha. Ogof y Goron?

Spot on mudman. Ogof y Goron it is, a cave so small and with a near suicidal approach that as far as I know only one person has explored it, that most desperate of digging desparados Tony Donovan.

Your turn now.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search