Author Topic: A video thread on UK Caving?  (Read 13642 times)

Offline JoshW

• obsessive maniac
  • WSCC, YSS
Re: A video thread on UK Caving?
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2020, 02:03:20 pm »
Lockdown Video No. 11 Wet Chicks in Black Rubber (August 2013. Views 5K)

Subtitle: Getting down, getting dirty, and having fun!

My advice to anyone wanting to build a presence on YouTube is choose to title that is intriguing enough to rouse curiosity and this title certainly did that. The view rate took off quickly but judging from the comments it wasn’t really what the viewers were expecting to see.

I plagiarised the title from an advertising slogan for a university caving club - ‘Wanna see hot chicks in black rubber?’ The video is a cut down version of my Shakespeare’s Cave film featuring just the female members of the party in their black wetsuits.

That's categorically the most cringy video title I've ever seen.

Offline Caver Keith

• Caver Keith
  • obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2020, 11:54:16 am »
Lockdown Video No. 10 So You Want To Go Caving? (April 2014. Views 340K)

Day 48 or thereabouts. My memory is fading. I think I was a caver once, or was it just a dream? Perhaps YouTube will provide the answer? Look there I am! It is true, isn't it, or is it just trick videography?

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that caving is not  everyone’s cup of tea. Over the years Dudley Caving Club has had a number of people join but only complete a single caving trip. They usually say something like, “I’m glad I did it. If I had known what is was going to entail before I went I never would have gone. I’m really pleased I did it but I won’t be going again!”
In 2014 there weren’t many caving videos on YouTube for people who fancied giving it a try to watch. I made this video to show to potential new members of Dudley Caving Club so that no one else would get a nasty surprise when venturing underground for the first time. When it was first released it did get critical acclaim from the caving community but it will come as no surprise that the most frequent comment on YouTube is, “No.”

Offline Caver Keith

• Caver Keith
  • obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2020, 10:39:35 am »
Lockdown Video No. 9 What It Takes To Get The Shot (September 2015. Views 5K)

This video is special to me because it was my first competition winner, it was awarded first place in the video salon at Hidden Earth 2015. It was a collaborative project with the Club photographers, Brendan and Mark. This video really pushed my editing skills and the finishing touches were being put to it on the competition deadline day.

Offline Laurie

• forum hero
  • ...and then there was one.
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2020, 07:46:00 pm »
Love those sunset shots.    :thumbsup:
MNRC

Offline Caver Keith

• Caver Keith
  • obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2020, 10:00:44 am »
Love those sunset shots.    :thumbsup:
I agree.

Offline Caver Keith

• Caver Keith
  • obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2020, 11:01:44 am »
Lockdown Video No. 8 The Dudley, Caving and Cakes (December 2016. Views 8K)

This cliffhanger serial wasn’t one of my most successful enterprises, but it was one of the most fun to make. It was released in 5 weekly instalments but this ‘box set’ edition not only includes all episodes, it also has outtakes and some behind the scenes stuff. Watch it to find out how the scene of Mark stuck in a squeeze isn’t quite what it seems.

Offline Caver Keith

• Caver Keith
  • obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2020, 11:27:33 am »
Lockdown Video No. 7 A Cave, a Pothole, a Pool and Eternity (April 2019. Views 4.5K)

I made this video, which is mainly a mash-up of two of my other videos, in 2017 to enter in the Kendal Mountain Film Festival. It failed the selection process. In the same year I also entered it in the Video Salon at Hidden Earth where it was not considered to be of sufficient merit to get an award. Neither of these were really surprising as it is a little pretentious to say the least.
Being somewhat despondent I decided not to upload it to my YouTube channel, but for the sake of completeness I eventually uploaded it last year as I was working on the Hidden Earth Video Archive project (https://www.youtube.com/hiddenearthvideoarchive).
I got this comment, “All this beauty makes me feel so humble . . . man is really the ‘blink of an eye’. I’m so grateful for this poetic video as well as I am for the most funny ones. Thank you Keith and co.!” and it made me look at it afresh. I quite like it. Perhaps it’s not too shabby after all?

Offline Caver Keith

• Caver Keith
  • obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 08:00:07 pm »
I've recently uncovered and added a new video to the Hidden Earth Video Archive (https://youtube.com/hiddenearthvideoarchive) .

This video was featured in a lecture at HE 2019 in Wrexham. It is Episode One of Deep Down Under - a documentary series made in the U.K, by a young British film-maker, caver and explorer, Elise Freshwater-Blizzard.

If any forum members can help me undercover any others videos featured at Hidden Earth please get in touch.

Thanks,

Keith

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search