Author Topic: Old pics  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Old pics
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2020, 05:17:00 pm »
I think so - they're usually very thorough.

Offline Russ b

• addict
  • BPC,
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2020, 09:16:09 pm »
If forced to guess, I would go for the last pitch in the dry route of Sell Gill...

Correction - it IS the third pitch in Sell Gill.

I dont think it is, i just checked against some photos. it looks more like dolly tubs as originally stated.

Offline Joe.Bones

• addict
  • BPC UNCC
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2020, 07:29:00 pm »
Hi Duck Ditch, some info which you might find useful - and a couple of questions too!

A member of the BPC is currently cataloguing the history of its members, and has the following entries for Fred and Jeff North:

NORTH, Geoffrey Denis; AKA: Denis. J1948,

Bulletin References; Recorded as taking part in first post war trip-Rift Pot 7th April 1946. And involved in the first attempted Rift Pot/Long Kin East exchange April 28th 1946. Rift Pot 19th May 1946. Lost John’s July/Aug 1946, Birks Cave May 1948, Great Douk, Sunset Hole April 1949, Quaking Pot April 1950, Pen-y-Ghent Pot Rescue , young BSA member died of exhaustion 1951. Easter Camp GG 1951.

NORTH, John Fred; AKA: Fred. J1949, b1917,

Bulletin References; Recorded as taking part in first Rift Pot/ Long Kin East exchange April 28th 1946. Recorded as taking part in Lost John’s trip Jan 1947. Rift Pot 19th May 1946. Lost John’s July/Aug 1946.Birks Cave 5th Oct 1947. Great Douk, Sunset Hole April 1949, Quaking Pot April 1950, Pen-y-Ghent Pot Rescue, young BSA member died of exhaustion 1951. Easter Camp GG 1951,

There are also entries for a Fred H North [joined 1959] and a J H North [joined 1946] - Would you know if they are related the the two above?
And if possible, any information on them to include in the history book, any birth days etc? - feel free to PM me on here.

Some hits on the faces in photographs:

1,  the BPC used to use the Cross Streets Pub.  Now long gone.
2,  winch meet.  Now this could be 1949 as my mother got together with my father that year.  She went down the winch as a 3rd or 4th date.
3, my uncle is the one with the jacket I’m sure.  Others could be BPC members although I do know that he caved with his cousins independently during the war.  I don’t know what they looked like.

Members of the BPC have identified the following people:
Photo 1, Forth from the left is Arthur Sheppard and the chap in the doorway is Henry Atkin
Photo 2, The chap at the rear is Arnold Patchet. The front right could be Mike Hartland, though his first winch meet was not until 1960 which may not fit with the timeline

For locations of the rest of the photographs I think with the above information, lots of these look like Rift and Long Kin East. There are excellent write ups in the BPC bulletin 1 about these trips as I recall.

For the BPC historical archive, would you be willing for us to take a copy of the photographs?

Joe

Online Duck ditch

• menacing presence
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2020, 08:07:22 pm »
Fred was my fathers older brother.  Geoffrey his cousin.  Fred died in the 1980s. 
Although my father was called Denis I don’t think it will be him.
Geoffrey had an older brother.  My mum has remembered his name.  It was Jack North.  These 3 were the keen ones and are probably the explorers of Bown Scar. 
My mother remembers Arnold Patchet.  This reminded her that a kind Charlie Salisbury carried some if her camping gear up to gaping gill from Clapham station. She thinks it was 1950 now.  She also thinks they discovered something that weekend but is not sure what. 
She also thinks there was some cross contamination with arch rivals CPC.
Please take the photos for your archives.  If after lockdown you want to photocopy them better let me know.  Through badlad if you like, I’m sure he would happy to coordinate.
Here’s my mother heading for gg
Thank so much joe. Bones.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search