Author Topic: More bad news for BCA modernisers  (Read 8307 times)

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
Re: More bad news for BCA modernisers
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2020, 01:06:12 pm »
That was pretty much the whole of the Triassic & Jurassic (time of the dinosaurs)  :o

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2020, 01:28:57 pm »
That was pretty much the whole of the Triassic & Jurassic (time of the dinosaurs)  :o

If there were dinosaurs around, I reckon one could say that there had been a recovery!

The recovery time for the Permian mass extinction event is considered to be between 5 and 8 million years.

Offline darren

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2020, 01:43:49 pm »
I've stayed away for a few hours. Sometimes a rest is needed to put things back in perspective.

Nice to know I'm not as much an outlier as I sometimes feel.

🤗🤗🤗
No, I'm playing all the right notes

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2020, 01:49:03 pm »
Depends how you want to define the recovery, for the number of marine species to get back to the same level was nearer 100 million years - & the dinosaurs only evolved during that period (after the mass extinction).

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2020, 02:07:56 pm »
Mind you, the dinosaurs were one of the most successful groups of animals ever to walk on this Earth, and were in the ascendancy for some 165 m years (compared with the mammals' 65 m years). As far as I am aware, their demise was down to events way beyond their control, not self-inflicted (as it's possible ours' might well be). Maybe we should use 'dinosaur' as a compliment, rather than as a term of abuse.  ;)

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2020, 02:15:31 pm »
Indeed, but then they didn't have the ability to do anything to change the outcome (whilst we potentially could).

Online Duck ditch

• menacing presence
« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2020, 02:57:57 pm »
what makes you think the dinosaurs have disappeared I watch them on daily basis. Which mass extinction are we talking about?
I wish we all could be a little more concerned about the mass extinction currently happening but we are not. 

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2020, 03:10:46 pm »
No species ever has, it's part of the reason why Richard Dawkins entitled his book "The Selfish Gene".

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2020, 03:58:24 pm »
Depends how you want to define the recovery, for the number of marine species to get back to the same level was nearer 100 million years - & the dinosaurs only evolved during that period (after the mass extinction).

1. You're absolutely right, it depends on one's definition. I was putting forward the generally accepted scholarly view.

2. Thank you. I have actually studied the evolution of dinosaurs, and I am aware that they evolved from the Permian archosaurs, and that the oldest known specimens date back to about 17 Ma after the start of the Triassic.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2020, 05:12:38 pm »
Sorry, that statement should have had an "of course" in it - it was for emphasis, not to teach you to suck eggs!

Offline Stuart France

• menacing presence
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2020, 07:47:02 pm »
Let's get down to the nitty gritty:  the Selfish Gene book mentioned above is about biochemistry really.  All this geology and dinosaur stuff is a bit macro level for me.

The fundamental problem currently facing Civilised Society, as we know it, is RNA.  It was a wrong decision in law.  It was unstable and led to an unlawfully high mutation rate.  Its successor (i.e. Life Version 2) was DNA - which runs us and things like us, well most of life as you can see it with your eyes, including dinosaurs - in their case now only as fossils.  Well, I've noticed DNA is very stable with a consequent shortage of people with two heads or three legs, at least on a timescale of a lifetime or a few centuries, though horrifyingly that does happen but extremely rarely.  But it's different with RNA, and thus RNA viruses that change a lot during human lifetimes.  They are a throw back to the big bang of 'creation', and unfortunately are still with us in all their rapidly mutative wonder.   DNA didn't obsolete them, indeed DNA still relies on RNA as quick-and-dirty kind of photocopier that purrs away under the cellular bonnet:  RNA mutation rates then don't matter as unstable RNA photocopies of DNA quickly end up in the paper recycling bin of life.

So I call for a Royal Commission on self-reproducing chemicals.

Unlike the earlier dinosaur discussion, this posting has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, heaven forbid, which is the modernisation of the BCA, except that relatively rapid evolution is needed for it to avoid joining the dinosaurs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 08:17:06 pm by Stuart France »

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2020, 09:45:28 am »
Most reasonable folk can be persuaded by sensible logic.

Up to a point. Many reasonable people take the view "I haven't the time to read all the the details of every point of view. I will follow X who has sound judgement and will have considered everything". Another reason why reasoned argument on here is so valuable.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2020, 09:50:57 am »
& others will follow because someone seems to echo their own prejudices...

Offline Ian Ball

• junky
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2020, 11:19:37 am »
I don't have the effort but I think a thread on each of the proposals would allow us to discuss the bits we approve of.  With 14 proposals so far, it's hard to discuss the merits of a proposal when the majority discussion will be on the most controversial or far reaching topic.

I struggle to remember all the proposals from CSCC/DC.

I would add that the one where it suggests the webmaster and itwg need to sort their roles is pretty obvious after the shenanigans.

Offline nearlywhite

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2020, 04:14:18 pm »
I don't have the effort but I think a thread on each of the proposals would allow us to discuss the bits we approve of.  With 14 proposals so far, it's hard to discuss the merits of a proposal when the majority discussion will be on the most controversial or far reaching topic.

I struggle to remember all the proposals from CSCC/DC.

I would add that the one where it suggests the webmaster and itwg need to sort their roles is pretty obvious after the shenanigans.

Remember that these are now scheduled for October

Hopefully we'll have an interim council meeting that will solve some of the underlying issues, so I'd expect them to change.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search