Author Topic: What are your views on the CSCC?  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Judi Durber

• forum star
Re: What are your views on the CSCC?
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2020, 12:09:28 pm »
In case you are not aware who the member clubs are:

Aberystwyth Caving Club
Antares Caving Club
Avon Scouts Caving Section
Axbridge Caving Group
Bracknell & District Caving Club
Brighton Explorers Club
Bristol and District Caving Club
Bristol Exploration Club
Buckfastleigh Caving Club
Cerberus Spelæological Society
Cheddar Caving Club
Combined Services Caving Association
Compass Exploration Group
Dudley Caving Club
Education in the Environment Caving Club
Essex County Scout Caving Team
Exeter University Speleology Society
Frome Caving Group
Gloucester Speleological Society
Gosport Caving Club
Greater London South Caving Club
Hades Caving Club
Hampshire Scouts Caving Club
Keyhole Caving Club
Lost World Caving Club
Mendip Caving Group
Mendip Nature Research Committee
Moles Caving Club
Newbury and District Caving Club
Old Matey's Caving Club
Oxford University Cave Club
Shepton Mallet Caving Club
Shropshire Scouts Caving Team
South Bristol Speleological Society
Southern Professional and conservation cavers
Southsea Spelæological Society
University of Bristol Spelæological Society
Wealden Cave and Mine Society
Wessex Cave Club
West Sussex Caving Club
Wimps and Y-Anchors Caving Club
White Rabbit Caving Club (2016)

https://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=about:member_clubs
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life waiting for us.

Offline Sid

• menacing presence
  • MCRA Photo Archivist
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2020, 01:13:33 pm »
As a resident of Frome when was the last time Frome Caving Group were at the meeting?

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2020, 02:18:23 pm »
All minutes are here with details of who has attended: https://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=documents:start

Doesn't look like Frome have been once in the last 10 years, along with quite a number of others...

Furthermore, I believe that there has only been one quorate meeting in the last 3 years.

Ultimately, we southern cavers who disagree with the way it is run, generally have ourselves to blame for not engaging.

The fact that those outside the clique who have tried to engage have become disheartened and given up goes a long way to explaining why people don't bother, but if enough "new blood" got involved they would be able to support each other and hopefully be able to start moving the wheel of progress.

This needs engagement at club level and a rep who attends meetings, reports back to the club and encourages discussion of the membership, in order to properly represent the cub views. Some clubs do this already. I know that both my clubs are usually in attendance at CSCC meetings, and at least one of those clubs has held internal votes on contentious issues, though it is not always clear how the representative have voted.e...

I have therefore submitted the following proposal to the upcoming CSCC AGM

Proposal:
That the CSCC record in the minutes of each meeting the direction in which each voting member casts their vote in all cases where the vote is not unanimous.

Reason:
In the interests on transparency and accountability, it is important that club members not in attendance are aware of how their club vote has been cast.

Peter Hall
Cheddar Caving Club member
Wessex Cave Club member
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline MJenkinson

• forum star
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2020, 02:48:44 pm »
Just to point out that from my POV, that more engagement by clubs has led to positive change in the CNCC, and that then drives more interation and engagement.

Someones just going to have to take the plunge / pain and start the ball rolling if people want change down there.

Offline dugadig

• addict
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2020, 09:56:44 pm »
Wimps and Y-Anchors Caving Club? Really? Wow!   ;D

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2020, 09:59:21 pm »
There are a couple of clubs on the list, formed specifically to get an extra (pretty much individual) vote...

This was one of my reasons for voting to remove the club vote from the BCA.

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2020, 09:59:43 pm »

Aberystwyth Caving Club....

How come?
Surely this comes under Cambrian
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Online 2xw

• forum star
  • BPC, SUSS
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2020, 10:07:35 pm »

How come?

Maybe they caved there loads or had a particular interest. Sheffield is a member of both CNCC and DCA, I'm sure other clubs will be similar

Offline Graigwen

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2020, 09:24:21 am »

How come?

Historically Aber always did a fair bit of caving in Mendip, although they mainly operated in South Wales and mines in mid Wales.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2020, 02:32:12 pm »
When clubs join BCA they are asked, among other things, where their main caving interests/areas are and these used to be recorded on the list of BCA clubs and sent out each year to regional secretaries so they could check that their member clubs were paid-up members of BCA.  (Some regions require that their clubs are paid-up members of BCA before they are allowed to join.)  The list didn't include any details about the club or any contact details for it, just the name and the regions where they said their caving interests were.

It always puzzled me, when I was Secretary of DCA, that I'd come across clubs on the list who claimed to be mainly interested in Derbyshire but they'd never approached DCA for membership and, before the days of websites, etc. they wouldn't have been sent any information from DCA.  Occasionally, if they seemed to be a newly formed club, I'd ask Wendy for their details so I could contact them and ask if they'd like to join DCA - and very often the answer was yes, but they hadn't known about regional councils, and they were quite pleased to join DCA as it cost them nothing if they were members of BCA.

Does CSCC's constitution still say something on the lines of "... a club becomes a member by expressing a wish to do so ..."?  I seem to recall it did say something like that once.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2020, 02:46:07 pm »
5. A club becomes a member club by signifying to the Council its wish to do so and paying the appropriate subscription for the membership sought. Membership shall be conditional on acceptance by the Council.

https://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=about:constitution

Offline Ed W

• I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve
  • forum star
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2020, 04:48:32 pm »
Link for the CSCC Zoom meeting on Wednesday and agenda now circulated through the CSCC mailing list, but no info on the CSCC Website or Facebook page.

Anyone can attend the meeting as an observer, but only properly sanctioned club reps get a vote.

I have not put the meeting link on here, but happy to supply to anyone interested in seeing what actually happens in those mysterious dark rooms round the back of the Hunters...

Offline Ed W

• I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve
  • forum star
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2020, 07:04:55 pm »
Minutes of the Feb CSCC meeting now available online with a whole 24 hours till the next meeting...

https://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=documents:start

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2020, 08:23:07 pm »
Questions and proposals for the forthcoming BCA AGM
AB There are weakness in the current BCA processes which appear to have not been through
properly. We need to proposes changes which will address these weaknesses.

Proposals from AB to the meeting:
1 Now BCA has got rid on the caving clubs vote, BCA needs to add back in caving club’s representation. I suggest we double the number of club representatives on council.
2 Need to clarify the BCA manual of operations, regarding the voting to elect unopposed positions. CSCC propose that uncontested applicants are deemed elected.
3 Re-instate the P&I standing committee to streamline BCA council meetings.
4 Where if a member is censured for bullying, the member is not allowed to attend the next council meeting, the intent of this is to stop the member defending their actions and in effect continuing the attack.

AB to draft the detailed proposals.
They will then be presented to the BCA secretary.
Deadline for submissions to the BCA AGM 4 April 2020

Interestingly, it looks like Alan Butcher was tasked by the CSCC with wording the proposals and submitting to BCA, without the need for further review by the CSCC. However it is not clear whether or not those at the meeting supported the proposals, or agreed to the route to submission.

There are considerable differences between the proposals discussed by those at the meeting and the proposals submitted.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search