Huts re-opening - not quite yet

Bob Mehew

I see that the PM has indicated hotels can reopen from 4 July.  Could I have a couple of volunteers to help me work our way through what has been said so as to produce some advice for clubs with huts on re-opening?  Please PM me.

Alex

It also says boarding houses too, which are more-akin to caving huts, so it sounds like caving huts opening would be within the spirit of the law. I think from the rules on pubs they are encouraged to take everyone's name and addresses in case anyone comes down with the virus would be a sensible precaution for huts, something for non-members and members in some clubs do already I believe, normally to chase payment.

So first step would be to have a sign in sheet, with name and address. I am on my lunch break at the moment (just finishing) so not sure I can volunteer for anything due to lack of time, it depends what you want and how much time is needed?

Biggist difficulty is maintaining social distancing when everyone is pissed (that goes for huts too ;) ).

David Rose

There may be an issue in that not every hut offers room service. Before the formal announcement today it was being suggested that hotels would only able to provide room service meals. I'm not sure if that is in the small print.

andywebman

The guidance said Specifically said that youth hostel type accomadation with bunk rooms could not open for the time being
He did however specifically say that changing rooms in sporting club premises would remain closed at present. So another delay I suspect.

cap n chris

Alex said:
Biggist difficulty is maintaining social distancing when everyone is pissed (that goes for huts too ;) ).

Speaks volumes. Reminds me of the quote from overseas observers who described an expeditionary group as a "drinking club with a caving problem". The irony being this was taken as a compliment. Little wonder youth caving, in association with the club scene, is largely dead in the water unless you define youth as over eighteen. 

PaulW

andywebman said:
The guidance said Specifically said that youth hostel type accomadation with bunk rooms could not open for the time being
He did however specifically say that changing rooms in sporting club premises would remain closed at present. So another delay I suspect.

Have you got a link or anything to where this was said please, cheers

update, dont worry watching todays update now

Jeanrr

I can't see in the speech where it says hostels can't open, just shared facilities have to be cleaned.

PaulW

'people will be free to stay overnight in self-contained accommodation,

including hotels and bed & breakfasts,

as well as campsites as long as shared facilities are kept clean.'

I cant see any specific mention of hostels or boarding houses as mentioned above

Dont , get me wrong i'm not saying we can or can't, just after sources for these quotes

Bob Mehew

andywebman said:
I can find the bit about changing rooms in the PM's statement to parliament.  But I cannot find any reference in the transcript to hostels.  It may be he said it when going off script; if so Hansard will have picked it up. 

I will admit that the chances of hostels being allowed to re-open soon do seem remote if you can't get changed together.

You mentioned guidance - that I cannot trace - can you provide a link?

Alan Sp8

ITV internet news says hostels are allowed to open in England from the 4th July - The Y H A web site says they are going open some hostels from the 17th July see YHA web site for details of the lengths YHA are going to to try and make it safe as possible.
So why not club huts with reduced numbers ?

PaulW

the news can say what they like.......

have you read the YHA guidance to what they are doing?? doesnt sound like a cave hut to me

darren

PaulW said:
the news can say what they like.......

have you read the YHA guidance to what they are doing?? doesnt sound like a cave hut to me5

Legall speaking, the guidance can say what it likes, it is the underlying laws that we have to follow.
They are often quite different

PaulW

maybe so, but also from the Primeministers statement;

'From now on we will ask people to follow guidance on social contact instead of legislation'

YHA say:

keeping communal spaces such as self-catering kitchens, dining areas, laundry facilities, locker rooms, drying rooms and lounges closed for the time being

I wish it was easier to find the true position for caving huts!

Bob Mehew

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Looks to me that some folk are trying to find reasons why caving huts cannot open, rather than finding reasons why they can.  From what I've read it looks like they can as long as various measures are taken to mitigate the spread of the virus.  No real difference in infection risk to many other things that are opening. Probably best to look to other outdoor organisations to see what they advise.