Author Topic: Huts re-opening - not quite yet  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
Re: Huts re-opening - not quite yet
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2020, 03:52:43 pm »
When you say the 'BMC system' what do you mean?  Most of the advice I read from the BMC would apply to caving huts just as it does to climbing huts. Are you saying caving huts are so different your club are unable to follow their general advice?

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2020, 04:02:11 pm »
I wasn't the one who made the enquiries.  The Hostel Warden was the person who did so and he reported back he had been told that our club didn't qualify to be included in the BMC Hut Booking system so we left it at that.

I note that BMC do give useful advice on club huts (I read their online Newsletter) and actually have a section which deals with advising clubs in this respect.  Don't know how many BMC-affiliated huts there are compared with BCA member clubs' huts, a lot more I suspect, given their far larger membership and the fact that there are far more climbing areas in Britain than there are caving areas.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2020, 04:17:34 pm »
Seems you are talking about different things, as Badlad appears to be suggesting a link between BMC & BCA councils, rather than with individual huts. (Their Website lists 68 huts)

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2020, 06:15:15 pm »
Yes I think so - apples and pears.  I'm trying to say that the advice on huts from the BMC seems generally very useful to those who run caving huts.  Duplicating effort in producing that advice seems like a waste of volunteer effort if it is much the same.  I'm still unclear what Jenny is talking about but I'm guessing her club tried to use the BMC insurance scheme or something like that.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2020, 06:23:36 pm »
I don't know how the enquiry to BMC was worded but the intent was to ask if the Orpheus Hut could be included on the list of BMC Huts available for booking.  It may be that we weren't eligible because we aren't a BMC member club - it wasn't important so it wasn't pursued.

Having downloaded the recently produced BMC Guidance Reopening Club Huts Booklet version1.pdf  this is impressive and covers all you would ever want.  Whether or not your club is a BMC member this should probably be required reading for all Hut Wardens.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search