Author Topic: Win two pairs of Sealskinz Socks!!  (Read 1479 times)

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
Re: Win two pairs of Sealskinz Socks!!
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 12:05:23 pm »
Did you not even have cold feet when I saw you at rowter farm in the freezing rain and sheet ice. that coated the springs on the gates so you had to whack them with a descender just to unbolt the gate.

Offline andrewmc

• BCA ind. rep.
  • junky
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS, SWCC...
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 12:51:44 pm »
I'm quite enjoying reading these stories, but am I the only person whose feet don't really seem to get cold? :shrug: I'm not sure I can remember any trips that would qualify as an entry for this!

Not sure I've ever had problems in a pair of Warmbac wetsocks (which aren't the most waterproof anyway)... clearly we don't deserve the socks :)

Online MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • junky
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2020, 01:20:56 pm »
Did you not even have cold feet when I saw you at rowter farm in the freezing rain and sheet ice. that coated the springs on the gates so you had to whack them with a descender just to unbolt the gate.

When it took about 10 minutes to get into the car? Cold fingers, yes, but not feet particularly. I never wear wetsocks for Rowter, either. Just fortunate I suppose.

Anyway, back to the stories.  :thumbsup:

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2020, 08:14:43 pm »
I'm quite enjoying reading these stories, but am I the only person whose feet don't really seem to get cold? :shrug: I'm not sure I can remember any trips that would qualify as an entry for this!

I've also never had a problem with cold feet caving (including trips with bare feet in wellies), but I have been pretty cold above ground on a couple of occasions.

Other than my previous entry on this thread, only one other cold-feet story comes easily to mind...

Above my stairs is a large canvas print of the headgear at Groverake Mine in the Weardale, taken one snowy morning before a trip down the mine. It was a glorious day and we spent ages enjoying the sun and snow above ground and didn't get underground until pretty late in the day. The trip was a bit chilly, we had to smash our way u the icicles in the short entrance crawl, that leads immediately to chest deep water,  where the level was bulldozed after the mine closed.

By the time we got out, it was getting dark, blowing a gale and snowing again.

Needless to say we changed as quickly as we could,  with wet feet actually sticking to the frozen road. This wasn't cold numb feet, it was sharp burning cold like nothing I've felt before or since. We paid no attention whatsoever to the solitary passing car as we bared our naked bodies to the blizzard.

Fortunately it didn't last long and we were soon warming up in the car, only for the plod to show up on reports of "suspicious activity" at the mine!  :lol:

The sealskin socks wouldn't have helped on this occasion, and this story is probably disqualified anyway as I'm sure I've told it before in a previous competition thread, but my feet were definitely very cold!

And for good measure, here's the picture I took before the trip.
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Frog2

• regular
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 08:33:16 pm »
Not entirely down to just cold feet and not mine to boot! But a story hopefully worth repeating.

It was a longish time ago, maybe 15/20 years or more when our club had a visit to OFD, there were 5 of us including one relatively new member who should have known better.
Being posh Southern softies, we were staying at the Copper Beech in Abercraf.

It was early November. After a pleasant through trip without too many incidents – Top to Cwm Dwr, we all exited slightly tired and damp but happy. We headed back to the SWCC cottage to shower and change with the intent of heading back to the B&B for beer & food & beer. On reaching the car, Paul, the newbie, remarked should I have brought a change of clothes?!

So, he was stuck wearing a cold damp furry whilst the rest of us showered and changed. Once we were comfortable and changed and warm he was allowed to sit in the boot of Keith’s estate car – not allowed on the proper seats.

Temperatures were close to freezing.

The remaining 4 of us, clean and warm, decided to pop into the Clubhouse to have a quick look at the survey on the wall. Wonder of wonders, seemingly being close to Guy Fawkes night, there were barrels of beer set up and pints ready for purchase. It would have been rude to refuse, so a couple of pints or so each later we returned to the car.

Huddled in back, having wrapped himself in whatever was available was Paul, a shivering wreck.

Keith drove us all back down to the pub with little regard for Paul in the boot, allegedly thrown from pillar to post.
On arrival at the Pub, Paul ran/hobbled to his room, with almost frozen fingers and toes he requested assistance with the zip on his furry, which was politely refused, and he then  just sat on the middle of the bed wrapped in the duvet for the rest of the night.

The rest of us had a very pleasant evening. He did join us for breakfast.

Online Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 03:46:53 pm »
Apologies for the late winner announcement...

I've loved reading all these tales - never knew so many cavers went without socks  :o  and read with envy tales of those who didn't get cold feet....what???!!  Though I never thought I'd read about using a foil blanket in Borneo  ;D

Sod the shortlist, I loved them all so entered them all...and the winner is...

Ian.P who was right when he said
I really think this is the sort of competition i might be able to win...

Congratulations!!

PM me to arrange delivery.

Thank you to everyone who took part - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has enjoyed this 'bit of fun'  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:bounce: New competition coming soon  :bounce:

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search