Caving on Crete

Skyrmy

Off to Crete in August and have been in contact with the Cretian office of the Hellenic Speleology Society who have offered me a trip underground with them during my stay.

Has anyone got any info on caving in crete of the society in general?? 

SamT

SUSS undertook an expedition there last year.

Rob (Eavis) of this site, or infact Batgirl, littletitan, RobM, BenM, Cavetroll all went on it I think. They should be able to give you some advice

Rob

Never been "touristy" caving in Crete but i'm aware that there's plenty to go at. The 3000 or so caves seem to be split into two types;
a)  higher altitude stuff, very vertical
b)  lower altitude stuff, mostly horizontal
AFAIA there's only one major cave that does both called Tafkoura (650m of vertical to a 5km long streamway!) in the central mountain range (second longest cave in Greece). The deepest in Crete is Gourgothakas at 1208m deep (deepest in all of Greece) which is in the White Mountains to the west of the island.
I haven't had much dealings with the HSS but i have with S.EL.A.S (athens based) and they are very cool and helpful.
I'm sure you'll have a good trip.  (y)

Skyrmy

Rob

What do you mean "Touristy"  :-\ 

I have no intention of visiting tourist caves unless it is an organised excursion with my family in tow - As a competent caver, I'm hoping the HSS will be taking me to more inspiring places

Regards

Rob

Hi Skyrmy. By "toursity" i meant just general caving - as in NOT showcaves but also NOT expeditioning.

I go to the Yorkshire Dales doing what i would call "tourist trips" because all i'm doing is looking about the cave, not actually working on anything specific. Thats' just my way of speaking. Sorry for the confusion...

Skyrmy

Rob

Confusion accepted LOL. ;)

Looking forward to it as I'll be missing my usual weekly excursions to the dales for 3weeks - and with the wife saying I should check it out, I thought what the hell - why not! :clap:

So its my own personal caving expedition away fro the wife and kids for the day!!! (y)