Author Topic: Bad air / pollution / bad bolts / etc  (Read 32926 times)

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • Peak Instruction, DCMC, DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO
    • Peak Instruction
Re: Bad air / pollution / bad bolts / etc
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 11:49:05 am »
P8 Entrance - Loose Rock

Its no 'Windy Knoll' but....

Recent high water and frost has caused a minor slip at the entrance to P8. The steep slope above the concrete entrance has noticably slipped and on a trip there on the 13th of December myself and Adam Evans had to kick a fair few football sized rocks down to safer locations.
It all looked fairly stable when we left but anything knocked down will go straight down the entrance and into the streamway so take care.

A good time to remind ourselves that the area of a cave most prone to instability is the entrance, especially with the winter freeze-thaw cycle kicking in.

Offline Turner

• addict
  • Highfield drive cave and climbingframe rescue
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2009, 12:13:59 am »
loop on the end of handline at the top biggest pitch of boss aven in giants is very frayed...... noticed this tonight!

born and bred in the peak district. not a scummy tourist :p

Offline Brendan

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.shef.ac.uk/~suss
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 08:49:23 pm »
JH/Speedwell boulder choke very loose

On a trip to CLiffhanger today, there was evidence of a lot of movement in the scaffolded route through the boulder piles, below the fixed ladders at the bottom of JH>
The area above the scaffold has changed significantly, with a lot of loose rock sitting above. The whole scaffold frame appears to have shifted slightly, and one of the scaf bars at least is bent. The rock has dropped down the climb which is now really quite unstable - large boulders were moving under our feet as we climbed back up. There is an almost constant flow of small pebbles down with the water. We shifted some large rocks further along the passage - these look to have come from further up.

Please be very wary in this area - it has moved within the last 2 weeks, and is still doing so. There is a lot of loose rock above the scaffold frame, and the floor below it has changed as well. The whole area is very loose underfoot, and this is not isolated to small rocks.

The original underground extreme ironer

Offline MarkC

• addict
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 08:48:50 am »
Merlin Mine, Stoney Middleton Dale

Last night there was significant movement of the false floor in the upper level on Stub Scrin, between the intersection of the main adit level and 'Shaft 1'.   Some football sized boulders were also seen to fall out of the bottom of the false floor into the passage below.  The collapse occurred where there is already a large pile of boulders, which are climbed over on the route through to the three shafts to the lower levels and the Merlin Pipe.

Extreme caution is advised when passing under the false floors on Stub Scrin, and in particular when exploring the upper levels.

Mark C

Offline Cave_Troll

• forum hero
  • SUSS
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/cave_troll/
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 03:11:25 pm »
Pollution in Holme Bank Chert Mine

Was diving in Holme bank last Thursday and there was a strong Hydrocarbon smell down by pump base.
There was a similar smell in Jan but I think the fraction smells a bit lighter, although i could be wrong
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:18:12 pm by paul, Reason: Added title »

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 12:22:28 pm »
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline mr conners

• stalker
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:25 pm »
Bad Air Knotlow Waterfall Chamber

Was down on Friday night, 6 of us met up in Waterfall chamber. Had a mooch down the coffin level to fourways and then back out. Whilst waiting to jug the 210 engine shaft I felt bloody awful, light headed and tight chested and was glad to get out. Couple of lads on the way out via waterfall and the climbing shaft also complained of similar symptoms. Just wondered if this is to be expected on a Knotlow trip or a more sinister sign of C0 build up. Not been down before, I know there are many warnings about C0 but I was also informed the recent problems had been cleared up.

Thought I better post just to keep people informed.
"Life is a thankless struggle"

Offline ditzy

• The ditzy caving
  • forum hero
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 08:33:27 pm »
had a trip down oxlow earlier, about 3 metres below the bottom of the ginging there is a wedged boulder with a crack which has left a nose of rock loose and wobbly hanging over the pitch.
next person down could do with kicking it free if their ropes are clear.

Offline Ralph

• addict
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:31 am »
Kicking off this particular boulder might not be a good idea. If you are thinking of doing this make sure it's not going to take a load of other stuff with it and possibly block the shaft. It could also destabilise the ginging-unless of course you can organise sorting out the consequences!!!

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2012, 07:02:18 pm »
While kicking it might not be a good idea presumably someone who knows it is loose and potentially dangerous is doing precisely the right thing to (a) bring to the attention of other people and (b) suggest dislodging it in a controlled fashion rather than it remaining in situ for an unwitting person unware of its dangerous state to dislodge it possibly onto other people in the drop zone.

Now that it has been highlighted as possibly dangerous the duty of making it safe would surely strongly argue that it should indeed be made safe, rather than just left there until the inevitable happens.

Also I think it's a bit heavy-handed to infer that whoever spots a loose rock which needs making safe is somehow expected to remediate the cave afterwards!

Happy danglings!  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:10:53 pm by cap 'n chris »

Offline mr conners

• stalker
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 07:08:41 pm »
Cheers Ditzy.
I will keep my eyes peeled for it next time we have a trip down there.
Just wondered is it part of the ginging or below the ginging? If its below and can be removed withouit de-stabilising the whole lot then I suppose its no bother.
"Life is a thankless struggle"

Offline Ralph

• addict
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2012, 09:18:05 pm »
I suspect it's the boulder that was mentioned some time ago by Dave Carlisle (Mine Inspector working for PICA).
A group of us had a close look and decided that removing it would do more harm than good, hence the comment that kicking it down the shaft was inadvisable. A RSJ "stemple" would be a better solution.
If anyone has the time and inclination let me know, I might even provide the RSJ.
Why don't I sort it?- I'm far too busy working on The Boulder Piles and will be for some time.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 09:20:07 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Ralph; fuller details paint a better picture.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 07:03:42 pm »
About 3m/10ft below the crib at the bottom of the ginging the shaft is more like a worked vein/stope. To one side of the free hang is a wedged jumble of boulders, one of the larger ones has a prominent overhanging nose. This has a crack in it and the nose can be wobbled without appearing to move the remainder of the boulder(s). I didnt wish to loosen it as we had the pitch rope below us with several bags attached for hauling out.
I think it could perhaps do with reassesment if not remedial action.
The whole entrace shaft area has a temporary feel at the moment due to the gradual loss of material from the bottom of the shaft area

Offline adamgeens

• regular
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2012, 09:55:17 pm »
If someone decides some work is required let me know and a few of us from Stanley Head OEC will be happy to lend a hand.

Offline caving_fox

• forum star
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2012, 09:29:29 am »
Streaks Pot (again)

Made the through trip this time, and found the lower entrance perfectly intact (although rather more concrete and less oil barrel) so I was in completely the wrong place last time. However:

Throughout the lower streamway (from West Choke all through to route 66) we had intermittant smells of diesel/petroleum. Not strong but frequently present. In the draft it wasn't an issue but in places of still air we all felt a bit more tired than perhaps would hsve been normal. Not sure if it was bad air as such - but definately worth keeping an eye on.
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2012, 11:27:53 am »
I went up Boss Aven in Giants the other day, and the top of the rope around the thread is still very frayed - I guess not many people go up there!

Offline Pipster

• stalker
  • OCC
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »
Nettle Pot - Serious CO2 problems

There are currently very serious CO2 problems in Nettle Pot.  It is suggested that cavers stay away until further notice.  A warning notice about the problem has been hung from the bolts immediately under the lid.

Jenny Potts
DCA Secretary
http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=14086.0
::PIPSTER::

Offline JR1973

Lose P hanger Devonshire Mine
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2012, 06:57:44 pm »

This topic only for updates on current alerts. Keep all discussion regarding any particular alert to seperate topics please.
Was in the Devonshire mine today and noticed one of the p hangers is lose, I believe the resin has lost contact with the wall, and the anchor moves.
I believe the pitch is called Hells Well, as you go into the old show cave, it's on the left hand side, as you go up hill.
The anchor in question is the nearest anchor, actually over the pitch head .
For those still wishing to do the pitch there is a spit about 6 inches underneath this, and it's still in good condition.
Cheers

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
Re: Lose P hanger Devonshire Mine
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2012, 07:49:58 pm »
For those still wishing to do the pitch there is a spit about 6 inches underneath this, and it's still in good condition.

Seriously - I bet the loose P hanger is stronger than the spit.  I'd put money on it.

I'll raise it with DCA and arrange a visit.

Cheers

Sam.

Offline Lampwick

• addict
  • PDMHS, WMS, GMPC, A.TAC, WMRG
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2013, 09:53:01 pm »
Nickergrove Mine, Stoney Middleton -  Through-Trip Blocked

The third descent on the through-trip from the internal shaft to didsbury shaft is blocked by a fallen boulder.
Boulder roughly 3 x 2 x 1 ft is not wedged in and could be hoisted out or broken in-situ (or carried out on the shoulder of a Desperate Dan sized person).

Glad we hadn't rigged it for a pull-through!
Are we nearly there yet?

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2014, 07:40:15 am »
Giants Hole - loose P-bolt for abseil/lower into Crabwalk after Giants Windpipe on round trip.

Report yesterday from John Geeson that one of the P-bolts used for the abseil/lower into the Crabwalk on the Giants round trip is showing some movement. Hasn't failed but as with all anchors test it - make sure satisfied - before using.

DCA Equipment Officer is aware and will be looked at soon as possible.

Jules.

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2014, 11:38:32 pm »
Giants Hole - loose P-bolt for abseil/lower into Crabwalk after Giants Windpipe on round trip.

This anchor has now been replaced.

Jules.

Offline Jon daniels

• regular
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2015, 02:17:37 pm »
Went into Robins Shaft mine this morning and by the time we dropped to Lord chamber the air was bad , two of us with dizziness and shortness of breath so quickly ascended up to near the entrance where the air was lots better and the symptoms went.

There is no water or ventilation in there so thought it may be quite bad but it was very noticeable.

regards jon

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2015, 04:46:47 pm »
That's interesting. I was down there with two others on December 6th last year and the air was absolutely fine everywhere (including the Lord's Chamber area) so things have changed quite quickly.
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!