Author Topic: Flying tonight!  (Read 1950 times)

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Flying tonight!
« on: April 19, 2021, 12:53:28 pm »
NASA did it - first-ever powered flight on another planet - yeehah!:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56799755

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
Re: Flying tonight!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 01:34:54 pm »
woopie do 

:shrug:

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 02:38:37 pm »
woopie do 

Can we assume you are unimpressed?

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline wormster

• player
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 03:08:29 pm »
If you were not impressed with remote flight on a different planet, how unimpressed will you be when the ESA probe lands on Mars, collects the samples left by the latest rover and returns them to Earth??? It has been fun knowing that something I have personally been involved in building may go to Mars and back.
You die - We split you kit!

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 03:41:35 pm »
I'm really into the current space tech industry, but i'm kinda with SamT on this one. Ingenuity is a proof of concept device. It actually is not set to do anything usefully scientific itself. And drone tech is very well proven on Earth, so it's not really reinventing much.
The end is where we start....

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 03:46:12 pm »
I'm really into the current space tech industry, but i'm kinda with SamT on this one. Ingenuity is a proof of concept device. It actually is not set to do anything usefully scientific itself. And drone tech is very well proven on Earth, so it's not really reinventing much.

FFS well lets see you do it then with your £9.99 Airfix kit and a rubber band  :lol:

"Glass half empty" some people  :shrug:
Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline Matrixman355

• SUSS, TSG
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 04:32:17 pm »
There's been a bunch of investigations into Martian cave exploration with robots:
https://ai.jpl.nasa.gov/public/projects/cave-rovers/
https://eos.org/articles/very-good-space-boys-robotic-dogs-may-dig-into-martian-caves

Some cool stuff, maybe we'll get hold of some tec one day

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 04:45:50 pm »
It has been fun knowing that something I have personally been involved in building may go to Mars and back.

But did you get a BEC sticker onto it?

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 05:11:22 pm »
There's already about 10 tonnes of scrap on the surface...

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 05:23:06 pm »
And drone tech is very well proven on Earth, so it's not really reinventing much.

Apart from flying in a very thin atmosphere.

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 05:49:55 pm »
And flying autonomously. You can't use your RC Controller when it takes 5 minutes to get to the other end.

You also don't have the luxury of the Van-Allen belts shielding your fangled 'lectrics from cosmic rays. And temperature variations of 100 degrees C.

I think it is an exceptional demonstration of technology.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 06:25:24 pm »
And if all goes well with the test-flights, it can begin remotely-surveying the landscape. What's not to like? It's incredible.

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 09:04:35 pm »
And flying autonomously. You can't use your RC Controller when it takes 5 minutes to get to the other end.

You also don't have the luxury of the Van-Allen belts shielding your fangled 'lectrics from cosmic rays. And temperature variations of 100 degrees C.

I think it is an exceptional demonstration of technology.

Chris.

The auto nav technology in a modern Tesla is a million times more advanced, being able to autonomously navigate cars at 70 mph among seriously crowded streets in poor visibility. Ingenuity's system is more akin to Bill Stone's AUV from 15 years ago.

And the necessary cosmic radiation and thermal protection technology was developed +20 years ago and allowed Opportunity rover to work for 15 years on the martian surface!

Ingenuity is only really impressive because it's a first of it's kind and it worked first time. This is great, and i was cheering at the stream as it came through to JPL today, but it's not really advanced technology. Right, now i want the rest of my beer...

Offline wormster

• player
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 09:13:30 pm »
It has been fun knowing that something I have personally been involved in building may go to Mars and back.

I might have managed that 😎
You die - We split you kit!

Offline Judi Durber

• forum star
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 09:30:51 pm »

I might have managed that 😎

Now THAT is impressive,  :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:      well done wormster     :lol: :lol:
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life waiting for us.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 08:48:13 am »
woopie do 

Can we assume you are unimpressed?

Chris.

Just think the money (and fuck me, its a veritable fuck ton of money) and effort could be much better spent a little closer to home.

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 09:09:15 am »
Just think the money (and fuck me, its a veritable fuck ton of money) and effort could be much better spent a little closer to home.
Yer, if only all that money was spent here on Earth, expanding human's technological capabilities, creating new industries, providing jobs, and helping to foster peaceful connections between nations. Oh wait...

Space exploration is one of the most important areas of science that we as humans are fortunate enough to be able to study. It provides answers about the fundamental questions of the universe and our history within it.

Offline aardgoose

• addict
  • DCA DCRO
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 09:11:34 am »
And if all goes well with the test-flights, it can begin remotely-surveying the landscape.

Sadly according to NASA it can only manage 90 seconds flight a day (needs to recharge it's batteries.  It also uses off the shelf mobile phone processors so is more likely to suffer radiation damage than the rover, which uses slower but hardened devices.I would imagine it has to be close to the rover for its command signals too.

Offline Fishes

• stalker
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:34 am »
Considering how low the atmospheric on Mars I think its a pretty amazing thing to get it to fly at all. Hats off to those that designed it.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 11:29:06 am »
Space exploration is one of the most important areas of science that we as humans are fortunate enough to be able to study. It provides answers about the fundamental questions of the universe and our history within it.

I don't buy it.  Yes, I'll accept that there have been some spin off technologies that have advanced the comfort/convenience of our existence on this planet, velcro, ball point pens and some other minor perks like Sky sports  ;)

But I think those things could have been invented anyhow, without the need for space exploration beyond our immediate vicinity.

Everyone should read this.. Dinosaurs and all that rubbish ..

https://www.slideshare.net/mayllos2/the-dinosaurs-1

Not going to argue with anyone about it.  Just reckon the current fascination with reaching mars is all a bit of a rich mans folly.  Rich men should spend their money a little more wisely I feel. 

Offline Fishes

• stalker
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 11:37:32 am »
Velcro and ball point pens were invented before the space program and you can keep Sky Sports but I still think its an impressive engineering achievement.

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 12:09:26 pm »
Not going to argue with anyone about it.  Just reckon the current fascination with reaching mars is all a bit of a rich mans folly.  Rich men should spend their money a little more wisely I feel. 

While I do have some sympathy for that point of view, the real obscene waste is the money and resources spent on armaments. If we didn't want to make 'bigger and better bombs/guns/bullets' (trebuchets, crossbows etc. – it's not a modern phnomenon) all the time, then there's be loads of money left over for space exploration and fundamental science research.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 12:31:35 pm »

Totally agree - wouldn't it be nice if schools and hospitals had all the money they needed and the army had to organise jumble sales and fun runs to raise cash for their land mines, scatter bombs and sniper rifles.

(That said, speaking to someone in the military who said that there was genuine concern about the current cuts to the army, and that there are genuine threats lurking out there in the world that could see the UK attacked/invaded whatever, should we not have a suitably serious deterrent capability.)

Farting about with drones on Mars (and the looming space tourism industry) threatens my nice white middleclass existence through potential global warming consequences , so its cessation would be a positive thing.
Lack of a deterrent military capability threatens my nice white middleclass existence through potential murderous intent of other nations.  So, I concede a necessary evil.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 12:41:53 pm »
& a lot of defence spending pays UK wages, as well as allowing local companies to develop products that are sold elsewhere in world, so in monetary terms there wouldn't be that great a net gain for the government in stopping it (although there would be in humanitarian - if you could persuade everybody else as well !)

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 12:52:57 pm »
Probably important to note that the money isn't being shot at mars to burn up in a fiery ball - that's employing scientists and engineers as well as contractors, firms associated etc.

And it's not actually that expensive. Less than we are spending on potholes and less than half the amount Unilever paid out in dividends last year. In the UK, if we spent on space what we spent on chocolate bars we could have 10 rovers a year.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal