Author Topic: Flying tonight!  (Read 1951 times)

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
Re: Flying tonight!
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 01:09:04 pm »
if you could persuade everybody else as well !
Good luck with that one...

In the UK, if we spent on space what we spent on chocolate bars we could have 10 rovers a year.
Now that's a thought! Is that based on actual numbers? If so, it's pretty shocking!

Offline Fishes

• stalker
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 01:12:25 pm »
My partner would tell you that that's just the amount I spend on chocolate.

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 01:45:34 pm »

Now that's a thought! Is that based on actual numbers? If so, it's pretty shocking!

There's a load of news articles a bit ago about Brits spending an average of £325 a year on chocolate. Which is £21bn and the rover cost $2.5bn. I didn't do exact maths or currency conversions but yeah

Offline aardgoose

• addict
  • DCA DCRO
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 01:51:58 pm »
But what if it is on mars bars?

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 03:03:52 pm »
But what if it is on mars bars?

Or Milky Way? Or Galaxy?? Think big, broaden your horizons.
Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 03:29:15 pm »
Or Milky Way? Or Galaxy??

I'd gladly eat more chocolate if it aided space travel.
I personally think more should be effectively spent on space travel, research, and exploration, rather than sliced off as direct profits for large corporations and fees for career lobbyists.   I thought SpaceX getting the moon landing deal was rather amusing. 
There's so much out more there and so much that we don't know.  There's bound to be positive spin offs for other areas too.
Now if they can pilot the space drone into a Martian cave then that would indeed be a thing.

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 04:17:15 pm »

I personally think more should be effectively spent on space travel, research, and exploration, rather than sliced off as direct profits for large corporations and fees for career lobbyists.   
There's so much out more there and so much that we don't know.  There's bound to be positive spin offs for other areas too.

Just think how much money we could invest into science and exploration, not to mention feeding and caring for people, if we just cancelled the Trident programme and it's replacement.

https://cnduk.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/People-not-Trident-2016.pdf

As if £205Bn is not already an obscene enough amount of money, as with the way of all things government / military, this will go through the roof. Add 50% as a starter. £13Bn decommissioning??! FFS don't build it in the first place.
Obscene, criminal and heartbreaking.

Hey, I've gone properly OFF TOPIC now; apologies  :weep:

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 04:44:50 pm »
70% of that figure is the day to day running costs, most of which would be accrued anyway by whatever conventional vessels we invested in instead.

(Galaxy was almost twice as popular as Mars in the poll...)

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 05:09:57 pm »
If the UN change the regs on mining the moon, there's a shitload of titanium up there that would make a lot of money for everyone, and a lot of spaceships. There are massive lava tubes big enough to seal and construct habitats inside. I've always been dubious about the 'either/or' model for funding space exploration - there's plenty of money available for it, and removing poverty on earth won't be achieved by supermarkets or holidays or televised football but by high-tech industries writ large, and quality employment increased across the board - especially in space tech.

And agreed, vanity nuclear weapons projects are so laughable a concept now that any world leader even suggesting them should be removed from office for being a fuckwit. That's about half of them. And there's your budget and your rocket and guidance technology, already developed, paid for and effective. I hate to sound like a hippie, but violence and warfare are basically an embarrassment to the species now and we need to get our shit together and fast. The world leaders who advocate this nonsense know their days are numbered and they're starting to sweat. The whole world is watching, to quote a popular historical phrase.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 05:23:22 pm »
The problem is the leaders not trusting each other & I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. (Well some of them we know are never going to play ball)

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2021, 05:42:16 pm »
They're all also petrified of the concept of giving their citizens money, even though they know that citizens in poverty are the biggest drag on their societies developing. If people are better off, maybe they won't need them any more. In many ways it seems the public are now way ahead of their leaders, which is an interesting concept, if a little scary. Most  development, be it technical, social, whatever, has followed an exponential curve since around 2000BC, and it gets ever nearer to vertical, so each change happens faster than the last.

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 06:27:43 pm »

70% of that figure.....would be accrued anyway by whatever conventional vessels we invested in instead.

Yeah. So we don't need those either.

Offline Fishes

• stalker
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 06:50:24 pm »
If the UN change the regs on mining the moon, there's a shitload of titanium up there that would make a lot of money for everyone, and a lot of spaceships.

There are also lots of titanium minerals on earth and a big infrastructure to process them. I'm really not sure why you would want to go to the moon for it.

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 07:24:20 pm »

Just think how much money we could invest into science and exploration, not to mention feeding and caring for people, if we just cancelled the Trident programme and it's replacement.

Surely most of that ultimately goes on wages. Better to pay people to do something 'useful' rather than sod all surely?

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 09:49:56 pm »
I suppose we could get rid of the one sector that actually has export potential at the moment - might as well ruin the entire economy whilst we're at it.

Offline wormster

• player
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2021, 11:38:07 pm »
Surely most of that ultimately goes on wages. Better to pay people to do something 'useful' rather than sod all surely?

Chris.

Too true Chris, it puts a roof over my head, food in the fridge and the hot tub in the backyard!
You die - We split you kit!

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 08:27:00 am »

Chris.

Too true Chris, it puts a roof over my head, food in the fridge and the hot tub in the backyard!

We can still spend the money, so you won't starve and your hot tub is safe; lets just spend it on schools and hospitals and such like. We can keep the armed forces, no problem. They can take over the role of the police in peace-time. Oh hang on, we would be able to afford the police again as well!

Curing cancer.
Potholes.
Education.
Affordable housing.
Power generation.
Clean energy.
Mental health.
Homelessness.

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2021, 08:49:52 am »
I would respectfully suggest that national security is a prerequisite to all the above.

There are bad people out there, whether or not we like it and it is precisely the safety and security offered by this country that allows everything else to thrive.

In an ideal world, we would not need an armed forces, or nuclear deterrents, but we do not live in an ideal world.  :(

Offline dugadig

• addict
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2021, 10:26:05 pm »
I just would say that in 1903 the Wright Brothers made the first powered flight with a bit of canvas.
Only 66 years later we land on the moon.
Humans explore.. It's what we like to do!

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2021, 10:21:23 am »
This:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/02/nearing-giant-leap-for-mankind-space-possibilities-are-transformational

Space is at an inflection point, about to join electricity, the computer and the railway as a great general purpose technology that will transform economies and societies. To those who dare, whose capitalism and governments have the right alchemy of entrepreneurial zest and public purpose, and who possess the sheer chutzpah to see the possibilities, will fall great prizes. Britain could be among them.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2021, 10:35:38 am »

Humans explore.. It's what we like to do!

On a caving forum, maybe you're preaching to the converted?  ;)

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal