New to caving.

wolfuk

Hi all,  lets see I've climbed all 3 peaks as well as numerous others (mainly in the snow) and I've done a fair bit of rock climbing.  so now I wanna have a go at caving. what sort of equipment is needed and as I'm close to peak district I wondered if you could point out a few newbie places to start.

also do any of you lot fancy showing me the ropes, or having a newbie tag along lol

cheers folks shane

Rob

Ey up Shane, depends what your after.

If you're potentially looking long term, join a local club and they'll sort you out. They can show you "the ropes" and you can meet other cavers. Loads to choose from on here:
http://www.trycaving.co.uk/content/view/33/43/
I can recommend the Eldon if you're up for a laugh and like beer.  (y)

If you've never been before and just want to see how dark it is, buy a cheap light and go have a look...

wolfuk

Cheers for the Info and link rob I'll check it out.
Is it worth visiting speedwell and devils arse as they've got an offer on for 2 caves 1 ticket.
Obviously I eventually wanna be more adventures and get more into it.

Fulk

Hi wolfuk,

There's a section on the forum called 'New to Caving', which gives a lot of information for people like yourself wanting to have a bash; check it out.

Brains

Show caves can be a good way to see and feel some aspects of the underground, but are really nothing like the experience you can get from "wild" caves.
You have 3 opitons - teach yourself, join a club, or hire a guide. The second option could cover anything from a small group of friends with experience to a big national organisation.
There are many clubs in and around the Peak - browse the web and find one in your area or that you like the sound of.
Be prepared to be wet to the skin so have a change of clothes for after!

simonsays

I really wouldn't bother with the show caves.... Put your money towards hiring or buying some kit. Most caving areas will have places you can hire.gear from. If you don't have any friends who cave then joing a local club would be a really good idea.

I've only been caving for 9 months but I'm having a great time, thoroughly enjoy caving with the craven pothole club (and others...)

I recently had a caving trip through Peak Cavern (AKA devils arse) Walking through the show cave took all of three minutes. Our trip beyound the show cave was about 3 hours. Grat fun in a great cave :clap:

Go for it....

Gollum

If you decide to join a club check them all out closely. Some have accommodation, some cave mid week, some cave weekends and some just dig. I am in four different caving clubs at present and they are all very different.
The only theme that appears to run through them all is they all drink  (y) :beer:

pwhole

Yeah, I'm one of the few teetotal members of mine, and it can be hell sometimes, believe me. One of the main reasons I rarely stay out anywhere...:(