Author Topic: Bear Grylls  (Read 2812 times)

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
Re: Bear Grylls
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 10:07:16 am »
Their recreation of a kayaker nearly drowning on river ure at West tanfield was laughable, as it happened at high flows, but there was no water during filming.

Offline glyders

• stalker
    • ACS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2021, 03:23:55 pm »
When comparing Grylls and Backshall, not having ever met either personally, I come down to the acknowledgement they give of their crews.

Grylls: I am the first person ever to float down this series of rapids. If anything goes wrong, I'm on my own.
Me: So who is bouncing around in the water filming you from in front, then?

Backshall: Just a minute, give me the camera. Here's the film crew, say hello. And here are some of the safety people setting up...

Time and again, I've seen Backshall acknowledge on camera he wouldn't have been able to do it without the support teams.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2021, 05:40:22 pm »
Although some of the safety crew get credit & others don't

Offline ttxela2

• menacing presence
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 11:32:30 am »
I just choose to admire the work he has done for scouting and draw a line there. If he gets kids into the Scouting movement its up to us to do the rest when they get there.

As a reality TV celebrity, I don't think any harm has ever come of his antics; unlike "Celebrity Dancing Love Island Strictly On Ice With The Stars" the likes of which have driven several people to top themselves.

Much as I dislike the guy (or at least his TV alter ego), you make a very good point.

Has there actually been an increase in people doing stupid stuff in the outdoors following his shows? If there has, I'm not aware of it.

I believe there was one fellow who died on Rannoch Moor attempting to 'live off the land' during winter. I recall Bear Grylls was mentioned a bit as his motivation although that itself could just be media hype. That said one, or even a handful, of people doing ill advised things after watching TV shows is perhaps difficult to lay at the door of the presenter.

I think it probably takes a lot more skill to make a more realistic show watchable, Julia Bradbury comes to mind as a lot of the time she just has a 'nice day out on the hills'. I imagine Bear doing the same walk would have to contrive some situation where it was necessary to hollow out the month old rotting carcass of a sheep and crawl inside it for warmth whilst eating his own toes - but admittedly that is also quite entertaining.

Anyone remember Lofty Wiseman? He always seemed believable.

Offline Speleotron

• forum star
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 02:34:24 pm »
Bear Grylls isn't too bad if you see him as a children's' entertainer rather than a maker of serious outdoor shows.
In search of taverns measureless to man

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2021, 03:18:21 pm »
Bear Grylls isn't too bad if you see him as a children's' entertainer rather than a maker of serious outdoor shows.

Harsh but true... :lol:
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline Speleotron

• forum star
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 03:58:31 pm »
It wasn't really meant to be harsh as I see the TV programs as a bit of a laugh for kids, and a bit of 'outdoor theatre' rather than being a proper survival shows.
In search of taverns measureless to man

Offline crickleymal

• forum hero
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2021, 04:45:19 pm »
There is one reality show I watch called Alone (or as we call it Americans Crying in the Wilderness). It's on Blaze or Yesterday once a year. They take 10 people and drop them off in the (bear infested) wilderness with a few items and see who lasts the longest. They have to film themselves. It is quite entertaining as several crack up under the strain.
Malc
Rusted and ropy, dog-eared old copy.
Vintage and classic or just plain Jurassic:
all words to describe me.

Offline sinker

• stalker
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 05:03:34 pm »

I think I'll sit down tonight and binge-watch "Naked & Afraid" tonight....  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Online Fishes

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 05:12:14 pm »
I think Bear Grylls sets a bad example to impressionable people. He has been rightly (in my opinion) criticised by CRO, RNLI and Mountain Rescue.

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 05:12:38 pm »
He seems a bit to college boy for my liking and his outfits are always brand new and very smartly pressed  :lol: just as they are when roughing it in the big outdoors  :-\
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2021, 07:39:47 pm »

Online SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2021, 02:51:19 pm »

So many reasons to hate Bear Grylls, 

The knife saga, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-28713420#:~:text=Lawyers%20representing%20a%20company%20linked,its%20name%2C%20logo%20and%20website.

craghoppers,

the fleecing of the BMC insurance policy http://lifeinthevertical.co.uk/blogs/2009/07/bear-grylls-the-bmc-and-us/
before we even get started on his totally fake representation of outdoor adventure.

For me, Ray Mears sits head and shoulders above Grylls.

My fave Jim'll Paint It cartoon sums it all up really - https://jimllpaintit.tumblr.com/post/87217188179/dear-jim-please-paint-ray-mears-and-bear-grylls

Got a soft spot of Steve Backshall though, Pitches is about right for the kids who used to watch Deadly 60 etc. Is genuine about what and how they do stuff.  Suitable balance of don't try this at home, with inspiring folks to get out and try it at home.

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2021, 04:19:18 pm »
What did Bear blades change to?

Online Cantclimbtom

• stalker
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2021, 04:51:22 pm »
Bear Grylls brand  (being careful not to say the person) promotes carrying of knives "Just the thing to keep tucked away in a pocket. You never know when you might need it."  (source  https://www.hunters-knives.co.uk/brands/gerber-bear-grylls-survival-knives/bear-grylls-compact-scout.html)

There is a wide range or Gerber knives, locking, fixed blade etc branded as Bear Grylls.  "..Designed with scouting in mind, the Scout draws on Bear’s experience as Chief UK Scout and figurehead to 28 million Scouts worldwide..."

>3 inch serrated locking blade drop point tip. Exactly the sort of thing you *wouldn't* want the kids to be routinely carrying (source https://www.hunters-knives.co.uk/brands/gerber-bear-grylls-survival-knives/bear-grylls-survival-series-scout.html)

No wonder they saw a brand conflict with Bear Blades.
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline sinker

• stalker
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2021, 07:44:31 pm »

So many reasons to hate Bear Grylls, 

The knife saga, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-28713420#:~:text=Lawyers%20representing%20a%20company%20linked,its%20name%2C%20logo%20and%20website.

craghoppers,

the fleecing of the BMC insurance policy http://lifeinthevertical.co.uk/blogs/2009/07/bear-grylls-the-bmc-and-us/
before we even get started on his totally fake representation of outdoor adventure.

For me, Ray Mears sits head and shoulders above Grylls.

My fave Jim'll Paint It cartoon sums it all up really - https://jimllpaintit.tumblr.com/post/87217188179/dear-jim-please-paint-ray-mears-and-bear-grylls

Got a soft spot of Steve Backshall though, Pitches is about right for the kids who used to watch Deadly 60 etc. Is genuine about what and how they do stuff.  Suitable balance of don't try this at home, with inspiring folks to get out and try it at home.

My God; what a load of old wazz.... Hearsay and supposition.

If someone was marketing a "Bear Blade" and their logo was a pawprint then I'd have MY lawyers on them too. Even Bear bloody Grylls is allowed to stand up and defend his brand.

Bear Grylls promotes himself as a "survivalist / adventurer" while Ray Mears promotes himself as a "woodsman"....two completely different things. I know which one I prefer of the two. Ray Mears. Same as if you offer me two different flavours of ice cream....I'll take vanilla thanks but I'm not going to slag anyone off because they happen to prefer rasberry ripple.

Offline RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2021, 09:10:02 pm »
Raspberry ripples are the Devil's Droppings though.

Offline sinker

• stalker
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2021, 09:37:47 pm »
Raspberry ripples are the Devil's Droppings though.

Another vote for Ray Mears then  :lol:

Offline cavemanmike

• junky
  • ucet
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2021, 08:15:48 am »
Ray mears =bushcraft
Graer bills =egotistical brand

Online Fjell

• forum star
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2021, 08:23:17 am »
I don’t think I have ever seen one of these programmes. Sort of like Top Gear, but a cut down version with only one bloke and no banter?

Not that I have seen much Top Gear either, but we did watch Clarksons Farm, which wasn’t bad. Kalebs’s hand-painted motor added a touch of rural realism I thought.

Offline crickleymal

• forum hero
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2021, 03:36:38 pm »
The only thing Clarkson and I agree on is that caravans are the spawn of Satan.
Malc
Rusted and ropy, dog-eared old copy.
Vintage and classic or just plain Jurassic:
all words to describe me.

Offline Speleofish

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2021, 04:42:04 pm »
And judging by the number around right now, he's been spreading his seed widely...

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2021, 09:54:33 pm »
Where can I watch this?? sounds like a bit of a laugh.

I think I'll sit down tonight and binge-watch "Naked & Afraid" tonight....  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2021, 10:58:25 am »
And judging by the number around right now, he's been spreading his seed widely...

Not to mention the brown bunting festooning laybys.

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2021, 06:36:48 pm »
Ray Mears was on the telly looking around Chinese karst a couple of days ago, and he visited a cave in the company of a young woman who was doing research there. At one point he said something on the lines of, 'I'm glad I've got you to show me the way'; now, I wonder if Bear G. would ever say anything like that?

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal